Sabertooth P67: freezing problem

lyandr

n00b
Hello,

first of all sorry for my bad english :)

So i bought a new system based on a Sabertooth P67 Rev B3 and i have the following problem:
When i use my computer all is ok. When i stop using my computer after some minutes, my computer is freezed. By freeze i mean:
- My screen are not in powersafe and screen is blocked: for example windows times don't refresh
- my computer is still on power
- my mouse (razer naga) and my keyboard (Logitech G510) are off (light is off)
- i can't do anything

The only solution is to turn off the computer.

I'm a little bit irritated by this problem.I read a lot of things on internet about that but i'm a little bit lost with all the solutions. Does anyone can help me to resolve this problem?:(

Regards.

PS: for information my system is:
- Sabertooth P67 Rev B3 (BIOS 1502)
- Intel 2600K @ 4,4GHz
- 2x4Go DDR3 PC12000 Corsair XMS3 Ref:CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (xmp mode)
- Gainward GTX570 GLH
- 1 SSD 64Gà Gskill
- 1 Raptor 600Go
- 2 Cavair Blue 1To in raid 1 (mirroring)
- 1 Optical Driver in SATA
- Windows Seven 64 bits

1. dont overclock and see if it is the same problem
2. SSD can be an issue, install on another HD and see if it is the same problem.
3. update your mobo bios if you have not already.

The problem you are describing is something myself and many others had the pleasure of experiencing. Take a look through this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1583213

Seems many have alleviated the issue by supplying the memory with slightly more voltage and ensuring the timings/speed are correct. I tried the XMP way and experienced the same lock up. It also seems to be a power related issue (disable C3/C6 and see if it helps).

I have since replaced my memory and motherboard (as of a day or so ago - finally got it back together). Waiting to see if the problem has been fixed.

I too think it has something to do with the memory (RAM). Maybe try running the ram at 1333 and setting the timings to auto

Thank you, i changed the RAM setting by forcing to 1333 and it seems to be OK. But it's mean that i can't use my memory to 1600?

I'll keep you update if it is definitely good.

Are you sure that your memory is operating at 1.65v? If it is and you still can't get it to run at the manufacturer specified configuration, I would RMA the kit. It could very well be something else but I would still get it exchanged for a new kit.

Although, the performance difference between 1333 and 1600 on the Sandy Bridge platform doesn't translate into much of a gap (at stock, at least). Personally, I'd want all my components to operate at their rated settings.

Thank you, i changed the RAM setting by forcing to 1333 and it seems to be OK. But it's mean that i can't use my memory to 1600?

I'll keep you update if it is definitely good.

I got rid of my 1600 and got 1333 CAS 7, no more freezing.

hello,

so i confirm that my problem went away after changing my ram frenquency. 48h that i don't have any freeze.

Before i put my ram to 1333, it was in XMP mode at 1666 and the voltage was 1,65 but i will try to do it manually.

This kind of sucks that you can't even run your RAM on rated settings. I dont think this is the RAM's fault, but a faulty BIOS on motherboard itself. This motherboard advertised that it can take 1600 rated RAMs and it seems that currently it's not working on this settings. Has this been escalated to ASUS and should be aware of?

For the port your SSD is on.. If there is an option... set "Hot Swap" to enabled. This has fixed freezing for some P67 SSD users. I am in the process of seeing if this will fix my problem.

This kind of sucks that you can't even run your RAM on rated settings. I dont think this is the RAM's fault, but a faulty BIOS on motherboard itself. This motherboard advertised that it can take 1600 rated RAMs and it seems that currently it's not working on this settings. Has this been escalated to ASUS and should be aware of?
Very well might be but having RMA'd my 1333 kit to this new one has proven to help my freezing issues as of 48hrs. So, it has nothing to do with the operational speed. Then again, I am using a different BIOS 1502 vs 1305 but unless they improved memory support, I don't see that making a difference. I guess the board could be faulty but I would definitely try RMA'ing the RAM at the very least if there's no other systems the OP can try it on.

The 1333 kit I ended up RMA'ing would not run at rated timings/volts on another system I used to have which leads me to believe the kit was either bad or my configuration just couldn't take it (others reported it working fine). Its too bad I don't have that setup anymore to try this new kit on.

As far as this issue, ASUS had been notified and Gary was supposedly looking into it before he vanished. Who knows if they found anything or not.

This is definitely an Asus only bug.
Could be with their BIOS, could be something UEFI related (despite it being in windows itself).
I've NEVER Seen this type of freeze on a gigabyte board, and I've tried standard Gskill PC1333, as well as PC1600 with XMP mode on, even forcing CMD rate manually 1T.

Have not tried XMP mode disabled, however; might as well try that for good measure. Not even sure what XMP mode disabled will do, just seems like it raises one timing from 24 to 28, and another timing from 40 to 3x or something...

If I find no freeze, then it's clearly an Asus problem with their BIOS.

Back