Asus P8P67 Hangs after being idle for some time

DrCoolZic

n00b
Description:
When I leave the system completely idle (no program running) for a rather long period of time it is not possible to get it back to work using the mouse or keyboard. When I try to reactivate the system the monitors wake up (but no display) and the system hangs. If I press the Power button (set as shutdown) nothing happen and the only way to get the system back to work is by forcing a reset. The problem does not show-up if system is left alone but has active background tasks running.

This is not to be confused with Windows entering S3 state which has been a problem on early Asus configurations (before 1253/1024 BIOS and setting PLL overvoltage to disable). I have completely disabled the S3 (sleep) and S4 (hibernate) mode of Windows and therefore the problem is different.

Test Configuration:
  • Asus P86 P8P67 Deluxe with Intel i7-2600K (Heatsink Noctua NH-U12P SE2)
  • Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws CAS7 12800 - 4 x 4GB = 8 GB -- F3-12800CL7-2GBRM
  • Power supply: Cool Master Silent Pro Gold 600W
  • Chassis: Cool Master CM-690 II Advanced
  • Graphic card: Saphhire Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
  • SSD: Corsair Force 120 GB SATA 3G on Intel SATA3G_2
  • HDD: 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black Revision Sata 6G (2 TB - 64 Mo) on Intel SATA6G_0 & SATA6G_1 -- WD2002FAEX-007BA
  • HDD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA 3G ( 1 TB – 32 Mo) on Marvel SATA6G_E1 & SATA6G_E2 - Raid 0 -- HD103SJ
  • Blueray: LG CH10LS20 SATA on Intel SATA3G_3
  • 2 x Windows Ultimate x64 partitions on dual boot: One test partition where drivers and software are tested and one ultra-clean partition with minimum fully tested drivers & software
  • Latest drivers directly from Intel for chipset, IMEI, RST, and LAN …
My best guess on the problem:
It is not clear to know when Windows enter power saving S1 mode and how it uses the CPU power saving state (mainly C1, C3, C6). However I am under the impression that when system is idle for some time it enter the S1 state which must put the CPU in one of the C-state. I am under the impression that the system hangs when trying to get back from S1 to S0.
Problem is difficult to pinpoint because it does not happen very often. At the beginning the system would hang about once a day but since BIOS 1204 and IMEI 7.03.1184 and chipset 1.1.35.0 the problem only show-up every three to four days.
Tests:
In order to validate the potential S1 problem I have used the program “sleeper” from Passmark. This is a very nice utility (burnin test) that allows to set Windows in any supported sleep states (S1 / S3 / S4). I have configured the program to cycle S1 state for 60 sec then resume for 60 seconds (20 times). An indeed no so often, but from time to time the system hangs when returning from the S1 state. I have looked at the Q-code display and in sleep mode it shows 01 and when resuming it displays 10. For info when resuming from S3 the display is: power-off – 20 – 32 – 30.
By the way most of the code displayed when system is running like 30, AA … are referred as ASL (doc says see ASL status code description below) but I could not find any description about these codes even in the latest documentation.

This is a very nasty bug that does not happen very often but puts you in an "anxious state" because any work in progress will be lost when system freeze. I have disabled all possible sleep features of Windows but I could not find any definitive solution. Last thing I want to try is to disable reporting of C3, C6 to the OS (re-enabled in BIOS 1024) but I have no idea how this information is used by Windows and if this will help.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Last edited:
Some more results:
Cycling S0-S1-S0-S3-S0 (60 seconds for each steps) resulted in system staying in wait state (but did not hang) and when restarted by moving mouse all program windows where gone ?
Also reported by sleeper it seems that the timer is not very precise. In general for a sleep time set to 60 sec system wakes up after 70+ seconds ?

This is happening to me at least once per day, sometimes more and it is very disappointing and annoying, especially on top of knowing that the chipset is defective on this MB as well!

It has happened while I was just surfing in Firefox a couple of times too.

Windows just "freezes" - no BSOD's or anything - Event log after I reset only shows that I reset.

Windows 7 Home Premium X64

Power options modified "Balanced" with Put Computer to Sleep set to "Never". Also turn off HD's set to "Never".

P8P67 Deluxe - Bios 1204
2600k running at 4.4Ghz (Turbo) per Juan of Asus thread - everything on "Auto" except Turbo Muliplier set to 44, DRAM to specified settings (XMP and voltage 1.60) and VRM Frequency to 350.
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X series (for Sandy Bridge) CAS7 4GBx2 running in XMP mode. (1600) - Memtest 86+ v4.20 passes with flying colors. (well, there are no "flying colors in DOS but, well, you know)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 1GB - single Dell 20" Monitor
Single Intel X25M-G2 120GB SSD on first Intel SATA 6G port - no RAID - no Intel RST drivers loaded - using Windows 7 drivers only.
1 WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1 WD Caviar Green 1TB and 1 WD 420 GB for storage.
All HD's (and SSD) on the Intel/Marvell SATA 6G ports. 2 DVD RW drives on the Intel 3G ports.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions but, as mentionned, I have already turned off all power saving features of Windows :mad:

Thanks for your suggestions but, as mentionned, I have already turned off all power saving features of Windows :mad:

No problem and understood.

Gary Key of Asus has 5 systems set up for testing to watch for this and no freezes after 100 hours so far. (see the "getting ready to return it" thread)

He says he is going to contact users having the issue for their specs.

What voltages? Have you tried manual memory settings instead of using XMP (MarkyM)?

Description:
When I leave the system completely idle (no program running) for a rather long period of time it is not possible to get it back to work using the mouse or keyboard. When I try to reactivate the system the monitors wake up (but no display) and the system hangs. If I press the Power button (set as shutdown) nothing happen and the only way to get the system back to work is by forcing a reset. The problem does not show-up if system is left alone but has active background tasks running.

This is not to be confused with Windows entering S3 state which has been a problem on early Asus configurations (before 1253/1024 BIOS and setting PLL overvoltage to disable). I have completely disabled the S3 (sleep) and S4 (hibernate) mode of Windows and therefore the problem is different.

Test Configuration:
  • Asus P86 P8P67 Deluxe with Intel i7-2600K (Heatsink Noctua NH-U12P SE2)
  • Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws CAS7 12800 - 4 x 4GB = 8 GB
  • Power supply: Cool Master Silent Pro Gold 600W
  • Chassis: Cool Master CM-690 II Advanced
  • Graphic card: Saphhire Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
  • SSD: Corsair Force 120 GB SATA 3G on Intel SATA3G_2
  • HDD: 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black Revision Sata 6G (2 TB - 64 Mo) on Intel SATA6G_0 & SATA6G_1
  • HDD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA 3G ( 1 TB – 32 Mo) on Marvel SATA6G_E1 & SATA6G_E2 - Raid 0
  • Blueray: LG CH10LS20 SATA on Intel SATA3G_3
  • 2 x Windows Ultimate x64 partitions on dual boot: One test partition where drivers and software are tested and one ultra-clean partition with minimum fully tested drivers & software
  • Latest drivers directly from Intel for chipset, IMEI, RST, and LAN …
My best guess on the problem:
It is not clear to know when Windows enter power saving S1 mode and how it uses the CPU power saving state (mainly C1, C3, C6). However I am under the impression that when system is idle for some time it enter the S1 state which must put the CPU in one of the C-state. I am under the impression that the system hangs when trying to get back from S1 to S0.
Problem is difficult to pinpoint because it does not happen very often. At the beginning the system would hang about once a day but since BIOS 1204 and IMEI 7.03.1184 and chipset 1.1.35.0 the problem only show-up every three to four days.
Tests:
In order to validate the potential S1 problem I have used the program “sleeper” from Passmark. This is a very nice utility (burnin test) that allows to set Windows in any supported sleep states (S1 / S3 / S4). I have configured the program to cycle S1 state for 60 sec then resume for 60 seconds (20 times). An indeed no so often, but from time to time the system hangs when returning from the S1 state. I have looked at the Q-code display and in sleep mode it shows 01 and when resuming it displays 10. For info when resuming from S3 the display is: power-off – 20 – 32 – 30.
By the way most of the code displayed when system is running like 30, AA … are referred as ASL (doc says see ASL status code description below) but I could not find any description about these codes even in the latest documentation.

This is a very nasty bug that does not happen very often but puts you in an "anxious state" because any work in progress will be lost when system freeze. I have disabled all possible sleep features of Windows but I could not find any definitive solution. Last thing I want to try is to disable reporting of C3, C6 to the OS (re-enabled in BIOS 1024) but I have no idea how this information is used by Windows and if this will help.

Any suggestion is welcome.

same EXACT thing happened on my build, running it on stock and idle. the longest it held was maybe 1-2 hours but only once it did this. i have one intel ssd, 16gig g skill sniper, evga 570gtx, 1204 even tried 1253 bios but nothing worked as it kept happening. ended up returning it to newegg for a refund as i am still on my 30 day window. really disappointed, but will probably purchase one of the top of the line asus mobo when things gets fixed.

I don't know if it will help you but ... I have seen than when one of my HDD spinning down (20 minutes by default in Win7), my system hang !

Since I have desactivated the automatic spinning down, no more hang ! oO"

I suspected the RST and desinstalled it at the same time ... When I will have the time, I will test to re-activate the auto-spinning down with the RST uninstalled. Did you try to uninstall the Intel RST ?

Edit: fix my english ...

Last edited:
What voltages? Have you tried manual memory settings instead of using XMP (MarkyM)?

1.600 volts, as recommended by G.Skill.

No, I have not. Should I?

If so, why? Shouldn't the XMP settings be correct since they were made by the memory manufacturer? I am not a memory settings expert.

And the G.Skill Ripjaws "X" memory I am running is designed specifically for Sandy Bridge.

I just ran Memtest86+ 4.20 again for two complete passes with no errors.

--Mark--

no problems here but mine's been folding basically around the clock since installation except to stop and game. Maybe idle voltages are set too low by the motherboards?

I have added more detail on my config (edited original post).
I am using g.skill Ripjaws (not X where not available when I bought) F3-12800CL7-2GBRM
and set the BIOS to use XMP settings which are following exactly the specifications of 1.6V and 7-8-7-24. For me the RAM seems to work perfectly and did even not tried to set these values manually. What would it change.
I do not believe the problem is coming from RAM ?

Last thing I want to try is to disable reporting of C3, C6 to the OS (re-enabled in BIOS 1024) but I have no idea how this information is used by Windows and if this will help.

That should do the trick. I had the same issues and it helped. Current uptime is over a week :)

1.600 volts, as recommended by G.Skill.

No, I have not. Should I?

If so, why? Shouldn't the XMP settings be correct since they were made by the memory manufacturer? I am not a memory settings expert.

And the G.Skill Ripjaws "X" memory I am running is designed specifically for Sandy Bridge.

I just ran Memtest86+ 4.20 again for two complete passes with no errors.

--Mark--

I don't understand the logic in it myself, but the Asus reps both recommend not using the XMP profiles, since they are not made for SB and can cause problems. Try running straight Auto on the mem settings (only setting your speed manually) and see if that helps. I doubt it, but worth a try. Also, are you using offset, manual, or Auto for the CPU voltage? Anecdotally, it seems like a lot of the problems people are having can be tied to the RAM, in one way or another.

I don't understand the logic in it myself, but the Asus reps both recommend not using the XMP profiles, since they are not made for SB and can cause problems. Try running straight Auto on the mem settings (only setting your speed manually) and see if that helps. I doubt it, but worth a try. Also, are you using offset, manual, or Auto for the CPU voltage? Anecdotally, it seems like a lot of the problems people are having can be tied to the RAM, in one way or another.

Understood Forceman but this RAM IS specifically designed for Sandy Bridge according to G.Skill. That is why I chose it.

It passes every test I can throw at it in or out of Windows. I really don't think its the RAM.

And the XMP profile is setting it to the RAM manufacturer's specs. Isn't that the whole point?

What difference would it make to type all the settings in manually?

These freezes happen mostly at idle and seem to be completely random.

Just for fun, I am going to set everything in the UEFI back to Auto, no overclocking of any kind.

Do I need to run the ram slower than its rated 1600? That makes NO SENSE at all.

I have NEVER had this kind of trouble with a new build before. I'm only trying to get a 4.4 overclock out of this and then so it will sit for the next 2 years.

It works fine under load, I have never heard of this freezing at idle like this.

--Mark--

This happened to me several times, hard freeze several times per day or occurring overnight. I installed a different set of RAM (both sets were 1.5v) and it fixed 99% of the problem.

I have since (almost 3 weeks) only experienced one hard freeze, occurring overnight with no apps running. Weird, I hope it doesn't continue.

Understood Forceman but this RAM IS specifically designed for Sandy Bridge according to G.Skill. That is why I chose it.

It passes every test I can throw at it in or out of Windows. I really don't think its the RAM.

And the XMP profile is setting it to the RAM manufacturer's specs. Isn't that the whole point?

What difference would it make to type all the settings in manually?

These freezes happen mostly at idle and seem to be completely random.

Just for fun, I am going to set everything in the UEFI back to Auto, no overclocking of any kind.

Do I need to run the ram slower than its rated 1600? That makes NO SENSE at all.

I have NEVER had this kind of trouble with a new build before. I'm only trying to get a 4.4 overclock out of this and then so it will sit for the next 2 years.

It works fine under load, I have never heard of this freezing at idle like this.

--Mark--

I don't have any problems with my Ripjaws at 1600, but there are many threads about memory issues with SB, and all the advice is to not run the XMP profiles for them right now. I don't know what the difference between setting it manually and using XMP, but the Asus guys both say there is something about XMP that can cause issues. I agree with you that it shouldn't matter, but at this point it can't hurt to try Auto or Manual. Likewise for trying to run it at DDR3-1333 - just eliminates one more potential problem area, no matter how unlikely. Remember, new IMC on these chips, so who knows what issues it may be causing.

I don't have any problems with my Ripjaws at 1600, but there are many threads about memory issues with SB, and all the advice is to not run the XMP profiles for them right now. I don't know what the difference between setting it manually and using XMP, but the Asus guys both say there is something about XMP that can cause issues. I agree with you that it shouldn't matter, but at this point it can't hurt to try Auto or Manual. Likewise for trying to run it at DDR3-1333 - just eliminates one more potential problem area, no matter how unlikely. Remember, new IMC on these chips, so who knows what issues it may be causing.

OK, thanks again for you help.

This is the last time I will ever update this close to a new hardware launch!

From now on, I will wait until the 2nd generation of hardware like I used to.

I don't like being an unwilling BETA tester.

I have set everything in the BIOS back to Stock / Auto.

So my nice CAS 7, designed for Sandy Bridge 1600 RAM is running at 1333 CAS9.

If I have no freezes like this, I will try setting the memory manually to 1600.

Is it OK to go to CAS 7 (just change the 9-9-9-24 to 7-8-7-24 as specified by G.Skill) at that point if I leave the profile on Auto?

What I do not understand is my G.Skill are on the approved list QVL. I was under the assumption that I would be able to use them at their specified values ?

OK, thanks again for you help.

This is the last time I will ever update this close to a new hardware launch!

From now on, I will wait until the 2nd generation of hardware like I used to.

I don't like being an unwilling BETA tester.

I have set everything in the BIOS back to Stock / Auto.

So my nice CAS 7, designed for Sandy Bridge 1600 RAM is running at 1333 CAS9.

If I have no freezes like this, I will try setting the memory manually to 1600.

Is it OK to go to CAS 7 (just change the 9-9-9-24 to 7-8-7-24 as specified by G.Skill) at that point if I leave the profile on Auto?

I can understand the sentiment about not being an early adopter. On the other hand there's some of us who enjoy the fun of a new platform when it just comes out, problems and all. Since I enjoy that sort of thing, for Sandy Bridge/P67 I made the conscious decision to buy ASAP. I really didn't need to build a new system, it's just that it's fun. I was slow getting into I7/X58, and when I did everything was nice and stable, with lots of good info available about tweaking and solving problems. Unfortunately that made it boring as hell.

Last edited:
Mine Asus Pro just did the freeze thing again. Surfing the web then lock up. That is twice already today :-(

Mine Asus Pro just did the freeze thing again. Surfing the web then lock up. That is twice already today :-(

A couple of times I've ran stress tests for hours, then locked up doing something simple like surfing the web. In my cases at least, it told me my overclock really wasn't stable, in spite of the stress tests. A modest boost in processor voltage and that was the end of the problem.

new here....been reading the last few days and thought I would chime in.

I do servers and very good at tracking Drivers and such.

First, I have the Asus P8P67-EVO board.
The drivers offered for the chipset on the Asus board are several behind.

the version on Asus is from Oct 4....here is the info from Intel

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19596/eng/ReleaseNotes_9.2.0.1021.htm

December 23, 2010
PV 9.2.0.1021

December 15, 2010
PV 9.2.0.1019

December 02, 2010
PV 9.2.0.1016

October 04, 2010
PV 9.2.0.1015

So, head over to Intel and get the latest Chipset Drivers (heck, it can't hurt)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Desktop+Chipsets&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+6+Series+Chipset

Then fix the Intel Network driver as well.
I have no clue how far behind Asus is on that .

head here
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

I did a search on "82579"
and found the intel driver...my guess it is way behind as well.
82579 is for the EVO board and I have not even looked at the other boards to see what they have.

I will be a happy if I wake up in the morning and find the PC still running.

I have tried all the other stuff like turning off all the sleep stuff and hd turn off after 7000 minutes and things like that...nothing worked...nothing!

I just hope this helps someone...and it fixes the issues.

I am running at 4.8 GHz right now as well

So if you're really concerned about whether your pc will still be running in the morning, why not back off the overclock and the memory frequency for a day or two and check 24/7 stability for a few days, then crank things up again when you know have a baseline that works?

Simple, it never ran more than 3 hours before it locked up.
I had no overclocking...very simple setup before and it would never last long at all.
After the last lockup when the whole network at home locked up I decided to really go looking for new drivers.

After looking first for the Network drivers and not even finding a revision history of the one provided by Asus I decided something was wrong there.
That was the first thing I changed and that was very early this morning. It got past noon so the next was the chipset.
How Asus was behind about 4 revisions on the chipset is beyond me.

By the way, on the lockups...that was with no load...just sitting and doing nothing.
Not one thing at all.
Heck it was locking up a few days ago with use.

Simple, it never ran more than 3 hours before it locked up.
I had no overclocking...very simple setup before and it would never last long at all.
After the last lockup when the whole network at home locked up I decided to really go looking for new drivers.

After looking first for the Network drivers and not even finding a revision history of the one provided by Asus I decided something was wrong there.
That was the first thing I changed and that was very early this morning. It got past noon so the next was the chipset.
How Asus was behind about 4 revisions on the chipset is beyond me.

By the way, on the lockups...that was with no load...just sitting and doing nothing.
Not one thing at all.
Heck it was locking up a few days ago with use.

So what exactly did you change?

I changed the Chipset driver....lastest straight from Intel
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3301&DwnldID=19596&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Desktop+Chipsets&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+6+Series+Chipset&lang=eng
Intel version 9.2.0.1021
Asus was providing 9.2.0.1015
Which was from Oct 4th

and the Intel Network Driver ....straight from Intel
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713&lang=eng
which is Version 16.0
Asus was providing 15.6.0.0 - no clue how many were between to 2 but I would say several

Overclocking was done with the AI Suite and choosing Extreme and stopping at 4.8 Ghz.
I will probably drop back to 4.4 Ghz and let it fly at that.

Right now, that plan is to not turn the PC off at all for several days and just do normal work that i do, which is photo stuff and a few other things.

if you are wondering about the box.
Asus P8P67 Evo
i7-2600K
COOLER MASTER V8
16 gigs of ram - 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
EVGA 768-P3-1362-AR GeForce GTX 460

I have not seen this kind of hardware issues since dealing with a 125 disk RAID 10 config on a server.
Ending up being the housings had bad solder connections on the boards and the housings were swapped out for new models. (yes, I did say 125 drives...all SAS drives spinning at 10K)
This was back in 2006

I am also following another thread on this forum that talks about this same problems and there is a lot of advices that helps but do not make sense to me. People are asking to disable half of the features of the board, to underclock the ram, to turn off all Windows 7 power savings etc.

I have bought a board with lots of controllers (deluxe !) and I want to use them, I have bought RAMs that are on the QVL and I want to use them at least with their nominal values. I also want to be able to turn off the monitors after inactivities and why not the sleep mode of W7

What make sense is to get the latest drivers (I am already picking the latest from Intel) and eventually to make some minor adjustments in the BIOS.

So what I did is to get all latest drivers and I did the following changes in the BIOS:
- disabled the PLL overvoltage adjustment
- disabled the C3, C6 reporting
- Used my RAM with XMP profil (1600 MHz, 1.6V, 7-8-7-24)

In W7 I have disabled the sleep mode and enable monitor power saving after 10 mn and also disabled the power saving on HDD. But I did not touch settings on power saving for devices like LAN etc.

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread in my case the system works perfectly as long as it is doing something. Never had any hang/freeze while acting in front of the system. Did lot of endurance tests and all works fine. The only problem is when the system is idle for some times then it does not restart.
This is why I have suspected that my problem was related to W7 setting the system in S1 (not S3) mode. And indeed using the "sleeper" program from PassMark mentioned before I have been able to reproduce the problem when cycling in S0-S1 states.

The latest modifications I did to solve this problem was to modify the C3/C6 reporting to the OS in the BIOS (set to disable). Since this last modification I was able to cycle 60 times between S0-S1-S3 states without problems. I have left the system alone with no background task and no windows open for the all night and this morning I have been able to restart the monitors and work without problem.
I am not saying that the problem is over but it seems that it is going in the right direction. I will keep the system up for the coming days and see how it goes.

I think this is the longest the PC has ever run....EVER

It did't do much over night except sit. No screen savers either.
No changing background

A big thank you to everyone on here. I think I have solved the freezes with your help.

Did a bunch of audio work on the system yesterday with no freezes and it survived overnight for the first time ever.

System is:
P8P67 Deluxe
Core i7 2600K
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH 4GBx2 DDR3-1600 CL7-8-7-24-2T @ 1.6v
Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 Cooler

Here is what I did:

Uninstalled the Ai Suite II from Windows to ensure using only settings in UEFI BIOS.
Ensured "EPU" and "TPU" switches on motherboard are both off.

Everything to defaults / Auto in the UEFI BIOS (1204) except the following in the "Ai Tweaker" Tab:

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual (thank you Forceman - was using XMP here - indeed XMP seems incompatible thus far with Sandy Bridge)
BCLK/PEG Freq: 100.0
Turbo Ratio: By All Cores
By All Cores: 40 (I am happy with 4GHz Turbo for now - also my cooler's not that great)
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Disabled
Memory Frequency: DDR3-1600 MHz
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled
DRAM Timing Control: Only changed the first 4 items to my memory's specs: 7-8-7-24
VRM Spread Spectrum: Enabled
Phase Control: Standard
Duty Control: T-Probe
CPU Current Capability: 100%
CPU Voltage: Offset Mode
Sign: -
Offset Voltage: Auto
DRAM Voltage: 1.600v (as specified for my RAM by G.Skill)
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

--Mark--

This is great ! For myself still no freeze ...
Just one suggestion that really help me for when the system is idle is in the advanced menu to disable the CPU C3 and C6 report.

I have started to document all the drivers /utilities I am using. Started with Intel one:

Intel Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7 -- V16.0 -- 1/27/2011 -- ProWin32.exe/ProWin64.exe
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713&lang=eng

Intel® Chipset Device Software INF Update Utility -- V9.2.0.1021 PV -- 1/4/2011 -- infinst_autol.exe
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...oductProduct=Intel®+6+Series+Chipset&lang=eng

Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver -- V7.0.3.1184 -- 01/19/2011 -- MEI_allOS_7.0.3.1184_PV.exe
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19691&lang=eng

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology -- V10.1.0.1008 -- 12/15/2011 -- iata_cd.exe
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19607&keyword=RST&lang=eng

Optional utilities (really not necessary):
Intel® Desktop Control Center -- V5.5.1.84 -- 9/30/2010 -- IDCC.5.5.1.84.Release.zip
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18023&keyword=control+center&lang=eng

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology Monitor -- V2.0 -- 1/6/2011 -- Setup.exe
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19105&lang=eng

Intel® Processor Identification Utility -- V4.30 -- 12/17/2010 -- pidenu.exe
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=7838&lang=eng

Good to hear guys :)

I'm just wondering why C3 and C6 have to be disabled for stability, I hope someone at ASUS looks into this, it's very odd that they are the cause.

I've had this issue for several days; freezing at least 3x a day, on an evo board (bios 1024)
Tried a LOT of different things; but after my last freeze,
and changing the following options my uptime is now 56+ hours:

Cpu C3 & C6 report disabled
Internall PLL disabled
All power modes on "extreme" (the option that is standard on "probe")

Seeing I have tried pretty much everything else without any result i'm pretty sure the issue is with one of the settings listed above.

Those are the same settings I've been stable with for the past 10 days... I also tried everything else before figuring out that the C settings were the issue. I have never had freezing issues like that before, in 20 years of building computers.

Those are the same settings I've been stable with for the past 10 days... I also tried everything else before figuring out that the C settings were the issue. I have never had freezing issues like that before, in 20 years of building computers.

Wonder what the root cause of that is - plenty of people, myself included, have the C states enabled with no freezes, so it isn't as simple as that being the cause of the lockups.

My system froze again overnight while idling.

I will try disabling the C3 & C6 reporting.

Exactly what are those anyway?

--Mark--

My system froze again overnight while idling.

I will try disabling the C3 & C6 reporting.

Exactly what are those anyway?

--Mark--
C1 to C6 are power saving state for the CPU (C1 less saving but fast recovery - to C6 most advanced saving but long recovery time). Not all CPU support all C-state.

I have not been able to find out how Windows uses these C-states but at least when system is idle for some times it must be setting the CPU to C1E or more.
As not all processors supports C3 and very few support C6 I assume that Windows must be asking what are the supported states so it knows what to use (but this is just a guess).

Edit: From test I have done withe the "sleeper" program when Windows enter the S1 state (supposed to be the first saving sate of Windows) the QLed of the board should display 01 (Power on Reset type detection) ? But in fact I have not seen the board entering this state from Windows alone ??? The Windows S3 state (also known as sleep) completely turn off the Qled.

Last edited:
Back