Sabertooth Mobo's

NMP40

n00b
I have a Sabertooth 990 FX r2.0 with the AMD FX 8350 CPU I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has a good stable Overclock setup on there system, here is my current rig set up
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX r2.0
Cpu: AMD FX 8350
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x4gb 16 GB total memory
Heatsink: Coolermaster Evo 212 with 2 120 mm PWM fans push & pull setup
PSU: Coolermaster V850
GPU's: Evga 660 FTW Signature 2 3gb 192-bit 2-way SLi
SSD: Eluktro Performance 256 GB SATA III drive
HD: Western digital Black edition 1 TB
OS: Windows 10 home edition upgrade from Windows 7 home pro.
Case: Rosewill Ultra gaming tower

Thanks for all replies & suggestion to my overclocking issues, I am not sure if I might be not setting up Bios correctly, also should I do all overclocking through Bios or can I use AI suite ii, which is what I have been doing. I am just trying to get stable temps at 4.5 GB CPU ratio setting. My current standard CPU voltage is 1.368, when I do OC I keep getting worker failures at about 10 minutes of Prime95 running either the blend test or small FTT's test. My temps on the CPU and Vcore's hit above 65 degrees Celsius I am hoping that I don't have something wrong with my rig, I have read other's getting up to 4.5 on the 8350 CPU no issues & using the same CPU cooler I am using. I haven't bosd yet but it has frozen up several times.

The Asus Sabertooth line of motherboards are not known to be especially strong overclockers, but should at least be competent. I have the Z77 version in one of my machines, and it's excellent. Edit: I'm not using it for overclocking, though. It's possible that you just didn't win the silicon lottery. Overclocking should always be considered bonus performance, not something you can just assume is guaranteed based on the experiences of others. What happens if you back the clock speed off a little, to say 4.4GHz? Is the system stable then? Are you overclocking the memory too?

The Asus Sabertooth line of motherboards are not known to be especially strong overclockers, but should at least be competent

Not sure where you are getting this from, all of the Sabertooth boards I used were great overclockers, only bested by the ROG line.

Not sure where you are getting this from, all of the Sabertooth boards I used were great overclockers, only bested by the ROG line.

I did quite a bit of research before I had our purchasing folks buy the Z77 one that I have, and the consensus at the time seemed to be more or less that they're OK overclockers, but durability seemed to be the big selling point. My use case involved subjecting it to all sorts of really rough treatment, so I went with it. Never actually tried overclocking on it myself. <shrug>

Not overclocking the memory, I don't think I am, I went off this guys setup offline on a Youtube video, since that's all the information I can find on overclocking this setup that I have. Most seem like they don't know what they are really doing either. I just want a straight forward answer on how to setup Bios, what should I use Bios or AI suite ii, I have already downloaded CPUx, Prime95 & HWmonitor for the overclocking to check temps. Also could my thermal past be bad since in am getting such a high temps when I do overclock. I just want to try to improve on gameplay on Witcher 3 & other game that I play. Thanks for the replies though.

Sabertooth boards are great overclockers. I've had a 8150 and 8350 in mine and got very good overclocks out of both.

First thing is you'll need better cooling. The Hyper and Evo are great coolers, probably best on the market dollar for dollar but you're not gonna get much passed 4.3 with it. You'll need to upgrade to something a little higher end to get better overclocks.

Also, I prefer OCCT to Prime for stress testing. Anything I've been able to get stable enough to pass OCCT for 4-6 hours has proven to be 24/7 stable. Also has a better UI.

65C isn't overly hot for an air cooled CPU, especially overclocked. If you're seeing temperatures in the 30s and 40s reported by others, chances are that's with some sort of water cooling setup - either an AIO or a custom loop. You can try reapplying the thermal compound, but I doubt you'll see a tremendous improvement unless you used WAY too little originally.

A little reading has dug up that 1.368v may be at or below stock voltage for this CPU, so my suggestion would be to try increasing the voltage in small steps, and re-running Prime95 or some other test until you get stable results. Consensus seemed to be that this should happen around 1.4v on that CPU. I would do this through the BIOS, but I expect it doesn't matter too terribly much - it's all ultimately software controlled, anyway.

I always bumped my Load Line Calibration up a couple of notches; I never went for Extreme. For my system, LLC is a must. Let me hit my bios and pull some numbers. I will tell you that I have switched to a Gigabyte board to get USB 3.1, but I use the same exact settings from my Sabertooth 990FX as it's all about what your CPU likes if you buy a quality board like the Sabertooth.

MacLeod Can you post some bios settings that you use also?

BCLK is set to 200.
CPU frequency is 4800. Using a 24.0 ratio.
Turbo is OFF! The objective here is to get the entire CPU running at a higher speed all the time.
LLC is set to Medium. Don't pick Extreme in your Sabertooth bios. LLC is what makes my CPU stable.

I still have all the power saving stuff on even though it lowers performance somewhat. It runs so much cooler that way that I think it's worthwhile.

Now I see that you are running Corsair memory. I am also right now as I need to send my Crucial in for RMA. Corsair had different timings for AMD processors in relation to Intel processors. Basically I had to relax my timings a bit. Could you post your memory model number so we can figure out if that is the culprit?

65C isn't overly hot for an air cooled CPU, especially overclocked. If you're seeing temperatures in the 30s and 40s reported by others, chances are that's with some sort of water cooling setup - either an AIO or a custom loop. You can try reapplying the thermal compound, but I doubt you'll see a tremendous improvement unless you used WAY too little originally.

A little reading has dug up that 1.368v may be at or below stock voltage for this CPU, so my suggestion would be to try increasing the voltage in small steps, and re-running Prime95 or some other test until you get stable results. Consensus seemed to be that this should happen around 1.4v on that CPU. I would do this through the BIOS, but I expect it doesn't matter too terribly much - it's all ultimately software controlled, anyway.

65C is very hot for an AMD CPU. 63 is considered the max safe temp for the FX line.

You're right about stock voltage, its 1.375 at least that's what is usually set to in the BIOS when you click the voltage setting to manual. I think mine is at 1.42V.

I haven't tinkered with my overclock in over a year so I can't remember exact BIOS settings and am out of town the next few days. I think load line calibration is set to the point the next to highest setting.

I kinda think that is looks just like the Coolermaster EVO 212 that I have already.
The Reeven justice matches a
Noctua NH-D14 which is about 6 degrees cooler than the 212 evo all while only costing 40 bucks. Like i said in a different thread thats how the 212 measures up in comparison. Even im considering finally upgrading my cooler. Although for mine the difference is closer to 3 degrees. Honestly its the first time we have ever seen a 120 mm cooler perform equal or better than dual tower 140 mm coolers. Heck it even beats several 240 mm AIO water coolers.

Last edited:
great board that sabertooth 990fx. got one in a trade that was filthy and well worn. had my 9370@5ghz under high end water for almost 3 years until it couldn't hold on the oc anymore a few weeks ago.

three things: one fan on a hyper 212 is not enough, if you're running 4 sticks of memory you need to bump up the north bridge voltage for stability while overclocking, lastly quit using ai suite.

Last edited:
great board that sabertooth 990fx. got one in a trade that was filthy and well worn. had my 9370@5ghz under high end water for almost 3 years until it couldn't hold on the oc anymore a few weeks ago.

three things: one fan on a hyper 212 is not enough, if you're running 4 sticks of memory you need to bump up the north bridge voltage for stability while overclocking, lastly quit using ai suite.

I did install another 120 mm fan on the EVO, I has helped, I had a slim line 120 mm fan that puts out great air flow, clamped on there past the memory, I got it in a push pull config. Thanks for the NB voltage info I haven't been using AI suite ii

sounds like you're on the right track. the issue with using another user's settings is that each user is likely using different cooling solutions so the guides that are available aren't supposed to be a template that you copy. they are starting points for you to investigate what your machine's limits are. the settings i used were for a system that had one water loop for the cpu, and another separate loop for the voltage regs and north bridge. my settings are for the bleeding edge of what my cooling setup could sustain. you need to investigate what the bleeding edge is for your system given your cooling solution. the digi+power settings can help you stabilize and/or increase your overclock. the problem is that increasing load line and current capability will increase the temperature of both the device the load line affects and the voltage regs themselves. the only thing ai suite is useful for is to monitor the temperature of your vregs. should be vcore-1. gl.

The Asus Sabertooth line of motherboards are not known to be especially strong overclockers, but should at least be competent.

I'm not sure where you pulled that from.

I've seen some very strong results from Sabertooth boards myself, though I still use an old P6T7 with a X5680 @ 4.5 on the main myself 24/7. I've seen a few people that get very high results with Sabertooth boards.

Last edited:
My Sabertooth 990FX ran for 5 years 24/7 running overclocked video cards and CPUs. It even ran my FX-9370 on 5.2GHz runs and the first generation boards aren't even certified to run a 220w CPU. They are Sherman tanks.

my components are all coming up on 4 years old and still running strong. they even seem to be getting better with things like dx12 and vulkan!!

I truth this is my 2nd Sabertooth Mobo, the first had to get RMA back to Asus along with both of myGPU's back the Evga, I even sent back the original CPU to AMD which was a 8320 but got to love AMD's customer service, they sent me back as a replacement CPU the current 8350 that I have now. Asus up graded the Mobo also gave me a updated version of the r2.0 mobo. I also got 2 brand new GPU's back from Evga. So in the long run ended up with better items, I am not sure what happen to the first Sabertooth mobo, but Asus said they did find a fried bug of some kind welded to the mobo. Got to hate those little gremlins.

I have 2 sabertooth 990fx r2.0 + FX-8350, both flawless and I don't overclock. One is back in the box, replaced by Skylake. The CPU core temp reading is way too low, to get the real temp I have an offset of +15 (or maybe +16?). Idle is 35C, full load 52C, fan speed at idle 200 RPM.

IMG_8940.JPG

Reactions: NMP40
like this
Here is the outside of my rig! I know it looks dusty, If you can believe it I just cleaned it a few days ago. I have a long haired dog so that is where most of our dust comes from.

20160728_091528.jpg

Here is the interior of my Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra gaming tower, this thing is a beast.

20160728_092216.jpg
20160728_092234.jpg

I've had a terrible time with the 990FX rev 2.0 . After about six months of light use it developed overheating in some chips and I returned it to the mfr. The board they sent back wouldn't power up. After I documented this and fought them a lot time for another shipping label, they send me one that wouldn't POST. Very depressing because one of my kids was looking forward to using this computer.

I've had a terrible time with the 990FX rev 2.0 . After about six months of light use it developed overheating in some chips and I returned it to the mfr. The board they sent back wouldn't power up. After I documented this and fought them a lot time for another shipping label, they send me one that wouldn't POST. Very depressing because one of my kids was looking forward to using this computer.

Get ahold of Raja, the local ASUS rep on the forums. He should hopefully be able to get you fixed up with a fully working board.

ASUS' RMA support in general is pretty horrible.

Back