• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

S775 CPUs

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
5,086
Here's the question. Going from a e8400 to a core 2 quad what quad should I look into getting? I plan on getting the quad in a few months. I figure I will buy it off the forum as I should be able to get a good price on it.

Here is why. I currently do all my pc stuff with a iPhone, yes everything I do email, facebook the forums I mean everything. I don't have a pc right now, and I don't have the cash to build one now. I am trading something for a complete s775 setup minus the tower case. I mean everything. Mobo,CPU,psu,gpu,ram,hdd,DVD drive, win 7, wireless keyboard and mouse. I'm gonna hook it up to my HDTV and use it that way comfy on the couch with a 42inch tv lol.

I know most of you guys will be thinking that this is stupid on my part because s775 is end of life. I just need a good pc in a bad way right now. I need to have flash at my disposale and the bigger screen plus faster will help tons on my eyes.

All I do is email, facebook, craigslist, tons of forums and will mainly play cod, fo3 and maybe some racing game. I figure by getting this setup now in a few months i will have the cash saved up for a good quad core. I had a e8400 before and I miss having a pc very bad. I got caught in the whole epeen upgrade bug before but I am much wiser now.

I know some people won't agree with me because this is hard forum and all but this is how I see it right now. Games are just now utilizing quads, the games I play are mainly dual core games. A quad is a quad in my eyes. Wether it is a i5, i7 or c2q they all have 4 cores and by the time I need to upgrade my CPU again the people with today's technology will need to upgrade too. I'm just explaining myself so maybe I don't get bashed as much lol.

If I get a high clocked stock quad like a q9550 or whatever else there is that's fast stock c2q and I get it to 4ghz or even 3.8 I should be fine for what I'm doing and if anything I will need to upgrade my video card every so often.

I don't know if any of you guys agree with me on this or not but after I sold my last pc about a year ago I sat down and really thought about all this and I feel the same way still.
I don't really think there is gonna be a difference between quads that justifies me going to i7 quad now for what I'm doing.

I look at the game requirements now a days and I realize the gpu is more important then the CPU. I don't think it's gonna be any time soon that I read a games requirements and it's gonna say you need a 3.6ghz quad core CPU to play the recommended requirements let alone the bare minimum lol.

Maybe it's just me alone on this forum that thinks a c2q setup with a oc of 3.8-4.0+ghz will easily last the next 3 years. I know people who still game with dual core CPUs and have a great time doing so. I don't know when there will be a change to the pci e slots, like say now it's 2.0 I don't know or even think we will be getting say pci 3.0 anytime soon to where my c2q setup will be outdated and not able to game.

If I'm wrong please feel free to tell me and let me know why. It's just that I still see game requirements being dual core CPU let alone 3.6 ghz quads. I honestly think that if I get a q9550 or faster and oc It to 3.8-4.0+ and get a gtx 260 and play at 1280x720 that it will last at least a year before I need to upgrade the gpu. I'm not like most [H] guys here I can play cod perfectly fine without aa or af so that's even less of a toll on the gpu/CPU.

Sorry for the long ass first post but I do want to see how some of you feel about my post. I have a couple friends with q9550's clocked at 3.6ghz or higher and they game at 1280x720 and they think the same way. After talking to my friend and hearing him say it all it really made alot of sense to me. If I can just go c2q setup now and be able to do it fairly cheap which I am only trading something I'm not paying any cash at all that it seems worth it as I am now older and won't be affected by the upgrade bug like I was last time.

I caught myself constantly buyin hard drives and video cards and was only seeing a minimal improvement with my pc performance. I did realize how much money I was basically throwing out the window and I almost puked lol. Please feel free to chime in and get me guys I know this is hardforum but I simply don't have the money to throw away any more after my accident and losing my good paying job I had. Before I had money to blow and I was you g and stupid I think I may of learned a useful lesson from all of that lol... Plus typing a post this long on a iPhone should be a damn crime I hate using this iPhone for everything I have to do Internet wise..
 
I'm gonna say this now. I know there will be upgrade options for the guys with 1366, that's already known but what is it gonna be a 6 or 8 core CPU? If so realistically how long is it gonna before a game utilizes more then 4 cores? I mean really uses them not a little 10% usage lol.

Don't get me wrong if I had $700 to spend I would go i7 only because even if I went c2q it would cost me at least $4-500 used since I need windows. This just seemed like the best thing for me to do at the time, since I really need a pc and no out of pocket cash to get a whole rig minus the case seems like a no brainer.

I do think that if anyone is building a rig from scratch right now that i7 is by far the best option but that's not my case here. I just wanted to explain myself because I know alot of people here don't read the thread fully or they miss alot of info.

So what c2q should I buy and why? Plus how long do you think that it will last before a CPU upgrade is needed if the c2q is clocked high like 3.8 or more? I know a gpu upgrade will be needed more frequently if a high res is used but my res is far from high lol and I am totally fine with gaming that way. I know ultimately it boils down to each his own. I just wonder about the users here that own a c2q setup think about their upgrade path if they are low res gaming like me. In all reality it is low res but with it being on a pc the games are gonna look a hell of alot better then they do on a console,.
 
At least put some cliff-notes or something.

Now, what exactly are you trading that'll get you an entire PC minus case? In addition what are the specs of said PC? Be very specific on the GPU and PSU.

The only cost effective socket 775 quad CPU right now is the Q9550 at $180 from Microcenter. Maybe the Q6600 if one can find it for about $120 shipped. The rest of the Intel quad-core CPUs are not worth it considering that there are often faster or similarily performing AMD quad-core CPUs in the same price range. If you can't get the two above quad-core CPUs at the same or lower prices than what I quoted, then there's really no socket 775 quad-core upgrade worth it over a E8400.

Many people here on the forums are in fact satisfied with the C2Q based setups. Many people here on the forums know that a Core i7 upgrade isn't worth the costs over a highly overclocked C2Q CPU using a single CPU.
 
Well I knew you'd come in here you always enter my threads lol. I was hoping to hear from some c2q owners about how they feel about the life of their rig. I can get a c2q 9550 for $179.99 now but i don't have the cash for it now.

Maybe someone her with a q9550 will chime in. If I had the cash to do a ground up build i would go with the i7 but I don't have the $7-$800 to drop on that. The trade deal came out of no where. I know I have no upgrade path after a c2q but Danny I am so exhausted from using this iPhone for all my Internet needs. I have been using the iPhone for about 3 months now and it is really taking a toll on me.

I just need a pc and this trade deal popped up so I jumped on it really quick. The e8400 is a good CPU for sure but I know if I want this s775 setup to last me a long time I need to get a good c2q soon before the prices go thru the roof and no one wants to sell them, this iPhone is truely killing me man I need a pc to use. I miss fast web page loading and being able to open a web page with alot of pictures like it's nothing. Not to mention some spell check program, I am so sick and tired of this iPhone thinking it knows what I want to spell every time lol..
 
Please answer my questions.

And yes, I do show up in these kind of threads :)
 
get the C2q and wait for the next generation of CPU's i have a Q9550 myself and let me tell you it is one hell of an OC'er if you OC... it as fast or slightly faster than its AMD counterparts and it also is more resistant to heat than the Phenom II's and it utilizes lesser vcore to OC, mine OCd to 3.5ghz @ 1.17 vcore prime, and OCCT stable. also if you dont use your PC for work or photoshop or any of that sort then i suggest you get the q9550. The I7's arent that faster in gaming either, theyll do about 10- 15 FPS more in games that already run on 100+ FPS on the C2Q so theres really no point going I7 if you just game
 
Thanks dinlee23 that's what I was hoping to hear, someone who actually has a c2q
 
Back
Top