S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2: Heart of Chernobyl

Yeah. Graphics aren't everything, but the lighting and even textures looked a lot worse than what we saw previously.
Indeed. Should have been more specific. Lighting and shadows looked drastically worse. Felt as though I was looking at Stalker: Clear Sky, although after Googling some screenshots it's not quite that bad.

But the lighting/shadows obviously play enormous roles in these types of games. Metro games in Ranger mode on OLED are amazingly atmospheric. Hoping this will at least equal Exodus in image/effects quality.

Indeed. Should have been more specific. Lighting and shadows looked drastically worse. Felt as though I was looking at Stalker: Clear Sky, although after Googling some screenshots it's not quite that bad.

But the lighting/shadows obviously play enormous roles in these types of games. Metro games in Ranger mode on OLED are amazingly atmospheric. Hoping this will at least equal Exodus in image/effects quality.

That bad lighting/shadows makes the game look visually flat. I know it will probably release with some issues but I hope this ends up looking better. Previously it looked very good. If this isn't an Xbox recording, I am worried that they had to cut back on graphical settings due to technical issues. But there are many UE4 games that look better than this.

Honestly I cannot wait for this game..
As my memory recalls correctly- I played the original one on the Pentium 4 3 Ghz Northwood
It played like shit, but the experience was still superb, especially the expensions. Now in 2023, I am ready for it.

Yeah definitely noticed the downgrade in that new trailer straight away.

Saw a couple couple comparison vids on YT as well later. Huge difference. Definitely hope that's Xbox, cause even the frames looked low with the poorer gfx...
Thanks, Series S.

Nobody should ever expect a game to release with the same graphics early leaks and shots show.

Does nobody here remember the original Borderlands graphic style in early publicity before the change to cell shading?
1693262656395.png

Nearly every game looks vastly different from the early dev to the final release. Do not ever set your expectations on graphics until the product is released, because they WILL change, and almost always for the worse. You can do a lot more with graphics in early dev before you start adding millions of actual game details that drop performance.

Nobody should ever expect a game to release with the same graphics early leaks and shots show.

Does nobody here remember the original Borderlands graphic style in early publicity before the change to cell shading?
View attachment 594451

Nearly every game looks vastly different from the early dev to the final release. Do not ever set your expectations on graphics until the product is released, because they WILL change, and almost always for the worse. You can do a lot more with graphics in early dev before you start adding millions of actual game details that drop performance.
Amen. Were the previous trailers even actual gameplay, or just scripted "in engine" renders?

If I had the blood pressure to spare, I'd probably be more upset about how buggy the demo reportedly was, and how that bodes for the final game...

Amen. Were the previous trailers even actual gameplay, or just scripted "in engine" renders?

If I had the blood pressure to spare, I'd probably be more upset about how buggy the demo reportedly was, and how that bodes for the final game...

They had a video in the original engine that showed them just spawning mass amounts of weapons to show the variation and rng aspects.

I would have hoped Microsoft's relationship with GSC would have given them more time. But I have to assume development can't drag on forever and this game is essentially going to be buggy at release. Hopefully it won't be, but I expect it to be.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I would have hoped Microsoft's relationship with GSC would have given them more time. But I have to assume development can't drag on forever and this game is essentially going to be buggy at release. Hopefully it won't be, but I expect it to be.
Given how GSC is in the thick of the Russia-Ukraine conflict, I imagine Microsoft has offered all kinds of help to them. Even though this is a third-party game, being another exclusive would mean Microsoft would have a vested interest in seeing this game having a successful launch.

Did you not play the original Stalkers on their releases?

If the game didnt come out buggy and crashy and remain so for years, it would be like an Elder Scrolls game with fluid character walking instead of it looking like they have a stick up their rear - eg; not actually a stalker game.

Last edited:

If the game didnt come out buddy and crashy and remain so for years, it would be like an Elder Scrolls game with fluid character walking instead of it looking like they have a stick up their rear - eg; not actually a stalker game.
Yeah SoC was extremely bad on launch, and CS was so bad it took me waiting 5yrs to play it and it was still a mess.
CoP was probably the best of the bunch till you hit night time.

Yeah SoC was extremely bad on launch, and CS was so bad it took me waiting 5yrs to play it and it was still a mess.
CoP was probably the best of the bunch till you hit night time.

CoP was the only one that was good out of the box.

If the game didnt come out buddy and crashy and remain so for years, it would be like an Elder Scrolls game with fluid character walking instead of it looking like they have a stick up their rear - eg; not actually a stalker game.
Awe comon the X ray engine was .... I can't describe it sorry. Oh yea single threaded goodness.

Didn't watch the video, but wasn't the last word that the game was delayed to Christmas 2023, ( next month ) is that still happening?

It's weird hearing a stalker game with American accents. I think when it comes out I'll switch the language to russian just for the mood
Native voices and English subtitles is the way to go.

Also, pretty cool that Strider is back in this one. Kinda spoilery on the playable character though.

Barely looked into this but I wager it's going to suck. I'm getting serious "late Hollywood comedy sequel" vibes from what little I've seen. If I'm wrong I'll eat my own foot.

not surprised by another huge delay...as with most games nowadays you have to expect it...whenever it comes out I'll be jumping in...on the positive side the delay gives me more time to play other new releases such as Shadow of the Erdtree, Forbidden West PC etc...plus I'll most likely have a new GPU by then

"On the technical side of things — the game needs more time"...after the mixed reaction to the trailer they released last year I'm hoping this means they are taking the time to improve the graphics

I knew it, am disappointed, but expected it. When it was delayed to early 2024 I expected yet another delay. 2023 was coming to a close with more or less zero info on it. I hope with all the delays it ends up being very polished and fun although I think it will end up being released in a buggy state.

Shootouts ,tanks ,and artillery barrages are a fair example of reasons for delays at least where I am concerned. I'll wait patiently as ever for it.
Same. I've been waiting 14 years for this game, what's another 9 months? Especially if it means a better game in the end...

There is something to be said for a release date of "when it's done..." Figure it out.

Same. I've been waiting 14 years for this game, what's another 9 months? Especially if it means a better game in the end...

There is something to be said for a release date of "when it's done..." Figure it out.
What is funny is that Duke Nukem Forever had a 14 year and 44 day Development time. As of today, Stalker 2 will have a longer dev time than DNF... That is funny shit

Edited - For grammar and possible miscommunication as to DNF dev time.

Last edited:
What is funny is that Duke Nukem Forever had a 14 year and 44 day Development time as of today...... That means that Stalker 2 will have a longer dev time than DNF... That is funny shit
Hopefully that's not an indicator of the final product. But if the preview was pretty rough... Doesn't instill a whole lot of hope to be perfectly frank. If it's not suck and actually decent, I'll buy. It doesn't have to match Alan Wake II in that regard to get my money lol

Hopefully that's not an indicator of the final product. But if the preview was pretty rough... Doesn't instill a whole lot of hope to be perfectly frank. If it's not suck and actually decent, I'll buy. It doesn't have to match Alan Wake II in that regard to get my money lol
I have faith, These guys/gals have been dodging bullets, bombs, missiles, and have been run out of their homes to bring this game to the light of day. I have no doubt that we will be given a great update to the classic Stalker gameplay that we all know and love.

I have faith, These guys/gals have been dodging bullets, bombs, missiles, and have been run out of their homes to bring this game to the light of day. I have no doubt that we will be given a great update to the classic Stalker gameplay that we all know and love.
You're right about developing a AAA game in a country under siege being at best a precarious and Herculean task, to be fair. They've delivered in the past. I pray your faith is not misplaced and it's a hit

that's exactly why I'm not sure about the quality of the game...the developers have way more important things to deal with in real life...how much time and effort can they really put into a video game when they are literally in the middle of a warzone?

What is funny is that Duke Nukem Forever had a 14 year and 44 day Development time. As of today, Stalker 2 will have a longer dev time than DNF... That is funny shit

Edited - For grammar and possible miscommunication as to DNF dev time.
To be fair, a lot of that time for STALKER 2 wasn't active development AFAIK since the game basically got shelved for the better part of a decade. As opposed to DNF which was somehow in active dev the entire time, going through numerous internal reboots to change game engines.

To be fair, a lot of that time for STALKER 2 wasn't active development AFAIK since the game basically got shelved for the better part of a decade. As opposed to DNF which was somehow in active dev the entire time, going through numerous internal reboots to change game engines.
Wasn't this around the time THQ went tits up that development on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 went on hiatus? And how could I forget about DNF's dev cycle? I never really lost hope until 3D Realms shuttered their doors because of said numerous restarts. Then Gearbox swooped in and we got what we got. I've rarely seen a game plummet in price (at least on console in the used market) as DNF had. At least I got to say I played it... Doesn't mean I was happy with the result (and I was most certainly not)

Back