• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

S L O W bios problem

schoenda

Gawd
Joined
Apr 8, 2003
Messages
860
Hey, once again I turn to those smarter than myself....

for no reason that I can think of my system has started to really slow down during boot up and in the bios I get 5 second lag between keypress and response...once windows starts everything is fine and all my benches are great...video, memtest, etc...no problem...this seems to only effect boot time and bios lag.

Any ideas? I tried disabling marvell support, no change, I checked all my cables, and all system checks in sisoft, windows mem test, and everything in the system properties is fine. No new peripherals or driver changes....AAArrg.

Please help me oh great hardware gods!

BTW system is as per my sig...gaming rig.
 
smarter than you?? don't think so,
more experienced, perhaps :p

Well, first check in your BIOS the "Hard Disk Pre-Delay" option, make sure it disabled.
also, try clearing the CMOS, and update to the lasted BIOS too
 
If nothing in the system has changed and this slowdown has suddenly began happening then one piece of hardware in the system is failing causing a stall.

As someone else suspected; it's probably a hard drive on it's way out.

Get Seatools for DOS, burn and it to a CD

Run it in short test, and then in long test. That'd be the first thing I'd do, hope that helps.
 
Thank you guys for the tips...first I reset the cmos and low and behold the lag stopped, then after booting into the bios and windows 2-3 times the lag was back...next I downloaded that seagate utility and low and behold my primary ssd passed the short but failed the long test every time.

I guess its time to dust off the old velociraptor...wait, shit, I gave it to my neighbor when I bought this shiny new P. O. S. SSD. Oh well. Off to New Egg...

So what are the odds a new HDD will fix this?
 
Back
Top