Ryzen newb need help

SniperXx

2[H]4U
Someone I know is wanting a 2700x and is looking at a the B450 chipset. Question is which chipset should one go with thats likely to accept AMD newer CPU's down the road(if at all)? I know next to nothing about AMD's motherboard chipsets. Will not be doing any overclocking.

There are good motherboards out there the ones with better VRM and cooling you should look for that would clear a path using 95Watt TDP cpu.
If you understand this then it should be no problem. Also check what the cpu power connector is at if it is 4 pin or 8 pin (extra) this would allow better stability.

The only reason why your B450 would fail if the cpu is continuously straining the VRM when operating at 8 cores 16 threads at full load.
So if the motherboard has these features and supports the 95 Watt TDP and the 2700x (that one is 105 Watt if I recall) now then those parameters would be met for future chips on the AM4 platform .....

I would get one from a reputable brand (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock) as they are likely to update the bios to accept new chips (probably before the chips are released). Also read some reviews about the boards you're looking at, and it will usually tell you what kind of VRMs are on the board and whether or not they recommend the board.

Someone I know is wanting a 2700x and is looking at a the B450 chipset. Question is which chipset should one go with thats likely to accept AMD newer CPU's down the road(if at all)? I know next to nothing about AMD's motherboard chipsets. Will not be doing any overclocking.

The rumored (fingers crossed) Ryzen 3k series CPUs have new Ryzen 9 CPUs, these are rumored to be up to 135 watts TDP (at base clocks) & due to the higher power requirements there is also supposition that a new motherboard with the X570 chipset will be required, but it will still be the AM4 socket...

Back