Ryzen 3xxx on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux/BSD/Free Systems' started by /dev/null, Jul 10, 2019.

1. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

Looks like there is some breakage to watch out for.

Link 1
    Link 2

With Ubuntu flip flopping on 32-bit multiarch I've been thinking to switch distros. DDR4 is (getting) cheap so it may finally be time to upgrade to a 65w 3700x or 3900x/3950x as I'm still on a 4770k+GTX 1070.

Anyone upgrade/switch over to Ryzen 3xxx, and if so how good/bad was it?

2. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

Interesting. I'm sure it'll be resolved by the time I think about upgrading my Ubuntu box.

3. /dev/null

When choosing during my last big upgrade, a 2600 was like $239 and a i5-8400 was $179 + board - rebate was only $20 more, so I went i5-8400.

Then I was thinking I'd upgrade to 1700x and then all the compile under load crashes happened so I said I'd wait for a while.

Was eagerly awaiting the Ryzen 3xxx series & now this. I really want a ryzen 3, but I am not paying hundreds of $ to "upgrade" to something that is broken out of the box. AMD+Linux really need to get it together...

4. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

Just be patient, it'll be fixed in no time just like the 2xxx series on release.

I'm watching those 12C/24T monsters, bu the time I can justify the cost of one I'm sure all problems will be resolved.

5. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Thoughts and prayers. You could try Win10.

6. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

I'd rather slam my head in the door.

Don't need thoughts and prayers as the open source community is more efficient than Microsoft. You got a decent scheduler and kernel to handle all those cores yet? The NUMA implementation under Windows is more than a little embarrassing when Linux offers a 50% performance improvement running identical applications under AMD processors.

Vermillion likes this.
  7. ChadD

ChadD 2[H]4U

It's a systemd issue so if you need to run things now.... you could go the older LTS route with an older version of systemd.
    I hear SUSE has pushed the systemd fix for tumbleweed.

You can also go with a non-systemd running distro like https://artixlinux.org/ or something.

Manjaro will be pushing a 18.1.0-rc4 release candidate iso in the next day or so. (I checked RC3 is still the latest... but the manjaro dev responsible for their ISOs said it's on the way yesterday.)

8. ChadD

ChadD 2[H]4U

9. /dev/null

Since I only build a main desktop once every 4 or 5 years and do cheapie upgrades otherwise, I may do 3950x or 2970wx....Tough decision!!!

Any of you guys have a 2970wx & what are your thoughts? I have a MC at me and it's $749 for the 2970wx. This should be an I/O upgrade as well as a cpu upgrade. I'd move over a gtx 1070 and I'd probably purchase 4 x 16GB dr4-3200 or so and move over 2 nvme drives. Really really have an itchy trigger finger for something new.

Edit: Solely for use with Linux.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  10. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

It is a tough decision- tossing both idea around, I arrived at 'wait'.

For most workloads, the higher per-core performance of the R9 3950X will be more useful, and for many workloads, the 'orphan' cores on the 2970WX (and 2990WX) are going to be less productive. I see final performance flip-flopping depending on workload.

However, since there should be a Zen 2 Threadripper coming at some point, you would have an upgrade path on TR4- and the Zen 2 arch may bring more performance for orphan cores too. The challenge with this is that AMD is likely to increase prices as well so said upgrade may be a long time coming economically speaking.

Since you're going to have to wait for the R9 3950X anyway, to me it makes sense to wait and see what AMD does with the Zen 2-based TR and decide then.

11. RanceJustice

RanceJustice [H]ardness Supreme

I'm in the same boat so to speak; I'm thinking of replacing my main general use/gaming rig (currently powered by Intel HEDT, using i7 5960X Haswell-E 8-core) and decided to wait for Zen2 to arrive. On the AM4 platform I'm most interested in the Ryzen 93950X or whatever they call the full-package 16 core chip. Provided it is binned well and OCs equal or better than the 8 and 12 core options, it looks like a really strong chip to the point I am wondering if I really need to go HEDT this time. Threadripper Zen2 on the other hand, now no longer thought to be canceled and instead will debut by the end of the year, is a quandary for me. If they have an "X" type chip with great single thread performance and overclockability, I'll weigh it against the Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core and see if it is worth the additional price. At least for me, a "WX" chip type with tons of cores but lower clocks , primarily used exclusively for server/workstation level tasks, is not desirable since this is a general enthusiast use box.

AMD has been really showing interest and initiative in Linux on both CPU and GPU sides which is nice to see, so if the performance is there I really want to reward them for Linux support (along with other more user-beneficial decisions compared to competitors at Intel / Nvidia) . The quick compatibility updates for Ryzen 3000 series certainly bodes well, along with phenomenal driver support such as the FLOSS based GPU drivers etc

12. IdiotInCharge

Note that Intel is way ahead in terms of Linux support- as in, they produce their own kernel spins, contribute massively to kernel development, and release their own rolling desktop distribution with their tweaks. AMD has a lot of catching up to do here.

13. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

They product their own entire distro, with very respectable performance.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  14. ChadD

ChadD 2[H]4U

This is very true. I love AMD... but I have a hard time hating Intel due to their FOSS support in general. lol

It would be nice if AMD had the same level of public facing Linux support. I know they do a lot in the background... and we all compare them a lot to Nvidia with the GPU stuff. It's easy to forget that Intel also has GPUs and drivers in MESA. And as you say they are very active in the server software space. It seems like Intel has serious plans to turn clear Linux into a major OS player in the server space long term.

When Intel releases their XE cards I'm going to be really really torn. Two options with open source driver stacks... I won't know what to do. Perhaps AMD CPU Intel GPU. lol

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  15. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

We've gotta see what compatibility and performance is like before being torn methinks..

Frobozz and ChadD like this.
  16. ChadD

ChadD 2[H]4U

Part of me is hoping it makes sense.... AMD/Intel instead of Intel/AMD just seems to cute.

Mazzspeed likes this.
  17. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

If Intel's drivers come with a proper GUI configuration application and the compatibility/performance/price is there I'd switch in a heartbeat. Totally agreed, more competition is definitely a good thing.

ChadD likes this.
  18. IdiotInCharge

My imaginary ultrabook (or nearly so) AMD APU would make the perfect mobile gaming part for any OS, whenever AMD gets around to that level of efficiency.

But I'll dream: six cores at ~4.0GHz, ~RX570 level GPU, and a 1080p120 panel with Freesync. 13" or 14" with great productivity / media consumption battery life.

Can I have it?

19. ChadD

ChadD 2[H]4U

/dev/null and IdiotInCharge like this.