Ryzen 3000 (Zen2) OS loading reboot loop?

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
Anyone else run into it on here? Specifically I'm referring to loading windows or an OS and having the system restart before fully loading the OS. Entering the bios and messing around or running memtest86 is fine but there will be no OS loading. I'm not going to rehash the entire troubleshooting thread I had previously (found here) but apparently I am not the only person out there with this issue.

My issue started after the ABBA bios update for my board, the other person's issue seems to have started randomly.

Other person with same issue

AMD was great about getting me an RMA# issued and I'm currently waiting for them to receive the cpu (3900X).

Haven't heard anything about it, bump and listening in, looking forward upgrade shortly so very interested.

Were you trying to upgrade hardware on a current win 10 install?

This can be buggy even though win 10 is far more forgiving about new hardware albeit CPU and motherboard than past versions.

An unbelievable culprit could also be your PSU. Lastly if that doesnt work then it's possible that your bios needs to be refreshed by reflashing even if it appears to work ok.

Were you trying to upgrade hardware on a current win 10 install?

This can be buggy even though win 10 is far more forgiving about new hardware albeit CPU and motherboard than past versions.
Nope, brand new hardware with a fresh OS install, OS was running fine, then it wasn't.

An unbelievable culprit could also be your PSU.
Tried it, no luck.

Lastly if that doesnt work then it's possible that your bios needs to be refreshed by reflashing even if it appears to work ok.
Tried the cpu on a 2nd brand new board with no luck, tries were attempted over both boards on all 3 bios versions available for a total of 6 attempts, no luck.

I tried everything reasonable, the CPU is bad and I'm not the only one to experience the same exact issue. I really want to keep this discussion to anyone that may have had or are experiencing the same issue. I greatly appreciate the interest in helping me troubleshoot the problem but I'd like to keep any troubleshooting discussions over on the other thread. It took me a while to find someone else with the same exact issue and that was on an old reddit post so I wanted to give another place to discuss it. I was starting to think I was going crazy by the end of it, faulty CPU's are a massive pain to diagnose, especially on new platforms.

so wait - u dont know its the cpu until u swap it.. did u do that yet?

I been messing around with different setup's and I have taken a refurbished x470 board and flashed it over 3 times at least starting from 2200g and G-Skill memory and pulled that for a 3600 and Team Vulcan Z memory .. then replaced the 3600 with 3700x and it has been just flawless with noting to say about it and I hate your having issues... if you lived in N.C. I would let you test it on my board as it's 3900x rated .

Only time mine has randomly rebooted is when I push the fabric clock above 1833MHz at default voltage.

Correct I have not 100% confirmed that it's the CPU but I did try the CPU with all different hardware, other than the ram, and had the same exact issue. So either all 4 sticks of ram went bad at the same time (they pass memtest86 fine) or it's the CPU.

After seeing that reddit post detailing the exact same issue I wanted another forum to discuss this if it happens to anyone else.

I'm having issues with my 3700X PC rebooting when it wakes from sleep, and then crashing again after logging in. Not really sure what the deal is, maybe I should consider contacting AMD. I've tried pretty much everything but a new cpu, PSU, and motherboard.

The errors in the event viewer are kernel-based errors and dpc watchdog errors. Otherwise, the system works great.

I'm having issues with my 3700X PC rebooting when it wakes from sleep, and then crashing again after logging in. Not really sure what the deal is, maybe I should consider contacting AMD. I've tried pretty much everything but a new cpu, PSU, and motherboard.

The errors in the event viewer are kernel-based errors and dpc watchdog errors. Otherwise, the system works great.

do you have the latest abba bios? and do you happen to have an AMD GPU?

I got the replacement CPU, all is working again. When going to update the bios I discovered this.

I went to grab the latest bios and apparently Asus's bios revision history has changed. My original board came with 0702, I upgraded to 0803, then 1001 (ABBA) which came out on 9/12. I updated on 9/14 and it never worked again. Looking at Asus's page now there is a 0901 that came out on 9/20 and another 1001 that came out on 9/25. The 1001 version that I downloaded and updated to on 9/14 is gone off of that list. Weird. I'm starting to wonder if somehow that old 1001 bios somehow damaged the chip? When upgrading to the new 1001, I noticed that it's release date was 9/9/2019.

I got the replacement CPU, all is working again. When going to update the bios I discovered this.

I went to grab the latest bios and apparently Asus's bios revision history has changed. My original board came with 0702, I upgraded to 0803, then 1001 (ABBA) which came out on 9/12. I updated on 9/14 and it never worked again. Looking at Asus's page now there is a 0901 that came out on 9/20 and another 1001 that came out on 9/25. The 1001 version that I downloaded and updated to on 9/14 is gone off of that list. Weird. I'm starting to wonder if somehow that old 1001 bios somehow damaged the chip? When upgrading to the new 1001, I noticed that it's release date was 9/9/2019.

Congrads,

Asus has definitely stumbled out of the gate with new MB Bios releases lately. Peruse the Asus forums for good info. I don't think they have an X570 section yet though.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/forum.php

do you have the latest abba bios? and do you happen to have an AMD GPU?

Think i've narrowed it down to either one of my RAM sticks or the B2 ram slot. Will test the other RAM stick tonight in the A2 slot, but considering i've had the same issues with two different sets of RAM, i'm pretty sure i'm going to have to RMA my motherboard unfortunately :(

Back