Ryzen 2700X pulling too much voltage

T4rd

Fully [H]
I'm not sure if this mobo is flaky or what, but since I've gotten my new rig built, I've been having stability issues one way or another. Starting with this thread I made a few months ago, where I thought my graphics card died but turned out to my a bad BIOS on my mobo, right before I had to pack my PC up and ship it along with all my other household goods overseas to my new duty station. So I haven't had much time to play on my PC until I got all my stuff back and moved into my new house.

But the issue is that, even before tampering with any mobo OC settings, my CPU seems to want to pull up to 1.5+ volts and therefore is constantly ramping the CPU fan up and idling at 50+ C temps in both the BIOS and a fresh boot into Windows. So I have to constantly load up the Ryzen Master app and hit the Reset button at the top right in order to disable the Precision Boost Overdrive that seems to be the culprit here.

Here's what I typically see when I first boot into Windows and I'll also hear it because my CPU fan is constantly ramping up and back down.

Weird Voltages2 (2).PNG

Notice that Precision Boost Overdrive is enabled and my CPU voltage is at 1.53v there. From what I've read, you def don't want CPU voltages to go over 1.425v or so in general, esp on the stock cooler that I'm using.

Then I'll hit that Reset button at the top right and it'll switch back to this:

Default Master.PNG

Control Mode switches from Precision Boost Overdrive to Auto and my voltages come back down to stock levels around 1.35v. Temps drop accordingly too from 45-55C to 35-40C idling and most importantly I don't hear my CPU fan ramping up constantly anymore.

Like I said before, it will be feeding the CPU voltages of 1.5+ in the BIOS before touching anything still the temps and CPU fan noise reflect that as well. Then I can even go to set the CPU voltage from Auto to 1.35v to try to force it to stay there and it has no effect; the CPU will still be pulling 1.5+ volts when I boot up into Windows and check Ryzen Master, where then I'll have to hit that reset button again to knock the voltage back down.

Mind you, I'm not having any stability issues anymore once I get into Windows. Though sometimes my PC will fail to boot because I did OC my RAM to 3066 MHz at least and despite it being rated at 3200 MHz, I can't boot past 3066 and sometimes it still doesn't boot at 3066 but it seems to be stable once it does even through stress tests.

My mobo is an Asus ROG Strix F-Gaming X470. I was hoping these issues would be fixed in another BIOS update, but I'm on the latest since Zen 2 launched and it's not any better really (though much better than that borked BIOS Asus put out right before I moved and caused me to make that thread).

I'm tempted to just buy a new X570 board at this point and try to RMA this board to sell afterwards. I'm already planning on picking up a Zen 2 CPU later on when I see a good enough sale on one. But I figured I would see if you all can help me figure out what's going on at least before I start replacing hardware.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Also, what's the "EDC (CPU)" value at the top right in Ryzen Master? I tried Googling that and didn't see much about it. In that 2nd pic, you can see that it's red at "99% of 140 A" though and that seems bad whatever it is, but it fluctuates a bit too though it seems to mostly stay at 99%.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The second screen looks closer to normal.

All the red means is that it's maxed out on power usage. Notice how the first screen literally has no limits.

You can check out an old AMD Ryzen Master 1.4 Quick Reference Guide for 2xxx CPU and pages 24/25 would explain the settings.

Old Ryzen Master guide
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/ryzen-master-1.5-quick-reference-guide.pdf

Also Ryzen Master 2.0 Quick Reference Guide has been updated page 27
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/ryzen-master-quick-reference-guide.pdf

Also you do not need to updated your motherboard to X570 that would be just a waste. 1.5v is normal and would be the same on X570.

Best solution do and all core overclock on the 2700X. Here is a video I did on a different Motherboard X470 with every setting available for download in screenshot in which you could set on your motherboard.

Also if you do not want to hear your CPU ramping up,make adjustments to fan profile in BIOS

Suggest
60c -40% CPU Fan Speed
65c -40% CPU Fan Speed
70c -465% CPU Fan Speed
75c -100% CPU Fan Speed

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I forgot to say this, 1.5 is normal, unless your all core loading. That should be closer to the second screenshot.

Attachments

• Capture[1378].PNG
    Capture[1378].PNG
    285.3 KB · Views: 0
like this
I’m all core loading a 2600 and 1700x.
Win10 Pro 1903 whatever is latest, latest chipset drivers, pos asrock b450.
Corsair 3200 lpx at xmp

I’m at 1.4v on the 2600 4.2 or 4.1ghz.....CoD updates seem to peg a core or 2 on the 2600 on load at 100% at times and it’ll get flaky depending on update so I’ll back it up and down as needed.
1700x is at 3.9ghz 1.35v, it is rock stable with ram at xmp on the same setup.

Have you manually set your voltages and had them move?

I realize Dans 1st thought in your other thread was to replace the psu.
Something about your ram stability and voltage pull makes me think you should swap your cpu with one that’s know good and rock stable.

I’ve swapped cpus on known good systems that have the ram speed dickery that seems so common and had the issue go away.
I’ve also bought cpus off guys with a myriad of problems, hauled my box to their house, and it was rock stable on my setup.
I didn’t even do anything more than clear cmos btw a 1200-2600-1700x swap in a known good build in a single afternoon.
I do not trust AMD memory controllers, I haven’t since these issues would pop up back in the Phenom era.

I use a budget board, not well regarded ram for Ryzen, and I’m not having any of the problems in these threads.

I’d flash back to the bios revision that gave you the least problems.
I’d ram swap with someone that has never had issues at xmp 3200.
If issues persist I’d swap in their cpu.
If your issues persist with their ram and cpu thru the swap cycle then I’d swap in their psu.
Still have problems, then it’s your motherboard.

Long and short of it is you need t9 find someone local with a system that isn’t having problems and out in some work.

The first thing you need to do is go into the BIOS and disable Precision Boost Overdrive. That's why you're seeing those voltages and you're not seeing any limits on PPT, TDC and EDC. Precision Boost Overdrive is active in the BIOS but there are no limits setup in the BIOS. When you use Ryzen Master to turn off PBO and leave it on regular PB1 or PB2 it will keep those settings until you reboot where the settings in the BIOS take over again.

Keep in mind that PBO and PB1/PB2 are not the exact same thing. PB1/PB2 can be active without PBO. It's not likely that PB1/PB2 are labeled that in the BIOS but there should be a description in the BIOS which mentions automatically adjusting CPU frequency and voltage. That should be the PB1/PB2 setting even if it's not called that. There may be more than just option 1 and 2 for that setting. I have options 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the b450 version of your board but just use number 2 as that is PB2.

might also try the balanced power plan that AMD recommend's

like this
On Asus boards, Precision Boost Overdrive is called Precision Boost Overdrive - it can be found in different places depending on the whims of the BIOS guys. It can be under AMD CPU Options, or on the main Extreme Tweaker page (or both!), but it is in there.

Regular PB, though - that is Performance Enhancer Level 2
You can also try setting a - voltage offset on the CPU. Start conservatively with a -0.05v

The latest Zen2 BIOS drops from Asus seem to really crank up the voltage at defaults on every AMD Ryzen chip regardless of generation. Note that I am running 2 2700x systems as well as a 3900x, all Asus.

like this
I recently updated my BIOS on my MSI X470 Gaming Pro to the newest version released before the Zen2 BIOS revisions. I am running a 2700. After doing this, my PC was acting weird in an unrelated way, so I reset the BIOS back to factory and started over with my mild tweaking on the CPU and RAM.

This was when I decided to give Ryzen Master a chance. While I do like the info it displays, it just doesn't work for me when it comes to overclocking. It refuses to allow me to boost the "best cores" past a certain frequency without dropping the other 6 cores to below base-clock. I was trying 4.1 or 4GHz on the best 2, then 3.8 or 3.7 on the rest... No dice, even after bumping the voltage up to 1.4 and 1.425v, the voltage would just go back to the 1.3 to 1.35v range... So I decided to just go back to my 3.8GHz all core mild OC that I had before the BIOS update.

This is where things got weird. Before the BIOS update, my voltage automatically sat at 1.325v or lower the whole time, and never saw it any higher with the 3.8GHz all-core OC during testing and benching. After getting this updated BIOS, I just changed the multiplier like I did before, and then started plugging away thinking nothing should be different. I noticed a fan revving up more than normal a few days later, and decided to check things out, and there was my voltage sitting just under 1.5v, steady.

I went into BIOS, and nothing I set was different from the older BIOS. The newer version just decided that it wants to throw 0.15+ more volts at the CPU, I'm assuming just for fun? I manually set the voltage back down to 1.325 and everything works fine now, but that was a bit scary. I know AM4 motherboards and Ryzen CPUs for some reason have a tendency to automatically set ridiculous voltages even out of the box, but I thought that was a Zen2 issue. Apparently that bug is now "Backwards Compatible" with older CPUs and BIOS versions.

TL/DR: Check your voltage fairly regularly! Manually set it if you have to. Even older Ryzen/MoBos With pre-Zen2 BIOS get hit with the overvolt bug.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for your RAM not at least getting up to 3200 speed, have you tried using the Ryzen RAM calculator? For me it worked well, though the 3200 (1600MHz) XMP profile loaded with no issue, I used the calculator to tighten up sub-timings better than XMP/Stock. I didn't get any headroom on the primary timings, however, the sub-timing changes I made gave me a decent little 1-2% boost on the benchmark I tested before and after. Not bad for something I only have to do once, and I just keep a copy of the suggested timings in case I need to set them again (Maybe if I update the BIOS again for whatever reason).

Here's a good 10-minute video on how to figure out what die version your RAM uses, and how to use the calculator. Links for Thaiphoon Burner (use free/trial version) and the DRAM Calculator are in the video description.

like this
I recently updated my BIOS on my MSI X470 Gaming Pro to the newest version released before the Zen2 BIOS revisions. I am running a 2700. After doing this, my PC was acting weird in an unrelated way, so I reset the BIOS back to factory and started over with my mild tweaking on the CPU and RAM.

This was when I decided to give Ryzen Master a chance. While I do like the info it displays, it just doesn't work for me when it comes to overclocking. It refuses to allow me to boost the "best cores" past a certain frequency without dropping the other 6 cores to below base-clock. I was trying 4.1 or 4GHz on the best 2, then 3.8 or 3.7 on the rest... No dice, even after bumping the voltage up to 1.4 and 1.425v, the voltage would just go back to the 1.3 to 1.35v range... So I decided to just go back to my 3.8GHz all core mild OC that I had before the BIOS update.

This is where things got weird. Before the BIOS update, my voltage automatically sat at 1.325v or lower the whole time, and never saw it any higher with the 3.8GHz all-core OC during testing and benching. After getting this updated BIOS, I just changed the multiplier like I did before, and then started plugging away thinking nothing should be different. I noticed a fan revving up more than normal a few days later, and decided to check things out, and there was my voltage sitting just under 1.5v, steady.

I went into BIOS, and nothing I set was different from the older BIOS. The newer version just decided that it wants to throw 0.15+ more volts at the CPU, I'm assuming just for fun? I manually set the voltage back down to 1.325 and everything works fine now, but that was a bit scary. I know AM4 motherboards and Ryzen CPUs for some reason have a tendency to automatically set ridiculous voltages even out of the box, but I thought that was a Zen2 issue. Apparently that bug is now "Backwards Compatible" with older CPUs and BIOS versions.

TL/DR: Check your voltage fairly regularly! Manually set it if you have to. Even older Ryzen/MoBos With pre-Zen2 BIOS get hit with the overvolt bug.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As for your RAM not at least getting up to 3200 speed, have you tried using the Ryzen RAM calculator? For me it worked well, though the 3200 (1600MHz) XMP profile loaded with no issue, I used the calculator to tighten up sub-timings better than XMP/Stock. I didn't get any headroom on the primary timings, however, the sub-timing changes I made gave me a decent little 1-2% boost on the benchmark I tested before and after. Not bad for something I only have to do once, and I just keep a copy of the suggested timings in case I need to set them again (Maybe if I update the BIOS again for whatever reason).

Here's a good 10-minute video on how to figure out what die version your RAM uses, and how to use the calculator. Links for Thaiphoon Burner (use free/trial version) and the DRAM Calculator are in the video description.

Thanks for the RAM calc tip, I just tried it out and although I still couldn't get it to boot at 3200 MHz with either the recommended or max values, I was able to get it to boot at the next step down (3133 I think) with those settings, which I've never been able to get to before. Although there's 3 different Hynix types listed in the calc app and although I saw "MFR" in the model number for the ram in that Thaiphoon app, I'm not sure that's the type I should have selected as it wasn't really clear where I should see that at.

Edit: Been running Prime95 now for 20 mins too and it seems solid.. very nice.

Last edited:
Ok, after making the previous post, it seemed like my settings were stable up until today when my PC failed to post/boot. It did the typical 3 attempts before booting up with default CPU/RAM settings so I could make additional tweaks. I tried booting like 20 more times until it finally booted again. The PC seems totally stable after it boots running Prime 95 to stress the CPU and RAM. So why would it randomly not boot like that after being stable for a week?

Back