RX580 Upgrade...nVidia?

MajorYikes

n00b
So my RX580 is giving me some trouble regarding heat as well as the fact that I want to upgrade to a 1440 monitor. I think it’s time to go.

I tossed around the idea of putting it under water but there is no full coverage block for this specific XFX PCB.

I can sell it locally for $120-150 and could possibly add $150 or so on top. Leaving me maxed out around $300 (would REALLY not like to do $350-400 as I AM aware what is available at that price point)

Suggestions of what route I should go? 1660(ti)? I should also note that I would like a card I can watercool in the coming months. I guess watercooling a 1660 might not be worth it...is my only option a 2060?

Last edited:
1660 Ti is a good card for sub $300. If you can throw $50 more at the problem a RX 5700 is nice.

I don’t claim to be a GPU expert but can anyone tell me if the 6GB vram is going to be an issue running 1440p? Current GPU is 8GB but I’m on 1080p currently...

I don’t claim to be a GPU expert but can anyone tell me if the 6GB vram is going to be an issue running 1440p? Current GPU is 8GB but I’m on 1080p currently...
It’s possible to use. But I’d be more worried about the card keeping up. At 1080 it’s a great card. 1440 doesn’t seem like much, but that’s a lot more poxels.

That depends on the game and settings. You can get by with less- and you can use more.

What do you guys suggest then for 1440? Do I need to step up to a 5700? Or a 2060?

Also, I doubt there are water blocks available for the 5700 yet.

I have run 1440p for a few years now and find it to be a nice sweet spot.

Best GPU for 1440p for 350 or less off the top of my head are 1070ti, 1080, 2060, rx 5700. Used 10 series best bang for buck in your budget., even a 1070 is a nice step up for cheap. If you must have new than 1660ti, 2060, rx 5700.

EDIT: Used AIB Vega 56/64 if you have the PSU for it are also candidates.

TPU Relative perf chart is a handy overview and pretty useful as a quick reference. You will lose 20% or more fps going up to 1440p so your expirence may be similar fps wise but still worth the higher res IMO.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1070.c2840

Stepping up from a 580 a 1070 tier card gives the lift that seems just worth it. I like 30% or more before I spend. BUT if you sell yours then you are not coming out too much so..

Anyway good hunting!

580 vs 1070.PNG

TPU relative perf chart 1070.PNG

Last edited:
Been running 1440 since 2011.
For AMD V56 ref (or samsung only cards, UV + hbm oc is main perf gain on these cards) or v64 (all are sammy), 5700, 5700XT.
Nvidia 1070Ti, 2070, 1080, 2060STI

Sapphire v56 pulse is samsung ram, undervolt and hbm oc as N4CR says.

Its what i bought with a similar dilemma as yours, 1440p and 300 quid tops

Mine was £278 in UK but they're around 250 now, so close to $300

Not sure if US pricing is as good though.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Are you buying new or used? Obviously, used you can find higher end cards in your price range. E.G. a 2060 (non super) went in the forums for $275 or so. I just sold two different Vega 56's for $200 and $215 in the past week.

Am I the only on wondering about the "heat issue?" I have two RX 850 cards in my family and haven't had issues, even while OCing. Case? fans? might be worth looking into putting a couple of additional fans into the case.

Am I the only on wondering about the "heat issue?" I have two RX 850 cards in my family and haven't had issues, even while OCing. Case? fans? might be worth looking into putting a couple of additional fans into the case.

My XFX 580 XXX Black hits the mid 80's on a regular basis Stock. Also at some point a driver (forget which V.) caused Lightroom to show images as solid blacks with hardware rendering on so Back to Nv I go.

My 1060 and 2070 are much, much cooler and quieter.

Shame really, the 580 is a very nice gaming card xcept for a few games that had issues, No Man's Sky OpenGL version ran like garbage, Grim Dawn had Black Screens etc.

So my RX580 is giving me some trouble regarding heat as well as the fact that I want to upgrade to a 1440 monitor. I think it’s time to go.

I tossed around the idea of putting it under water but there is no full coverage block for this specific XFX PCB.

I can sell it locally for $120-150 and could possibly add $150 or so on top. Leaving me maxed out around $300 (would REALLY not like to do $350-400 as I AM aware what is available at that price point)

Suggestions of what route I should go? 1660(ti)? I should also note that I would like a card I can watercool in the coming months. I guess watercooling a 1660 might not be worth it...is my only option a 2060?

Skip watercooling and spend the money on a 2060 Super. You will be set for 1440p for a while.

My XFX 580 XXX Black hits the mid 80's on a regular basis Stock. Also at some point a driver (forget which V.) caused Lightroom to show images as solid blacks with hardware rendering on so Back to Nv I go.

My 1060 and 2070 are much, much cooler and quieter.

Shame really, the 580 is a very nice gaming card xcept for a few games that had issues, No Man's Sky OpenGL version ran like garbage, Grim Dawn had Black Screens etc.

Huh, maybe it's just the XFX. I have an MSI Armour OC and a Power Color Red Devil GS, neither goes much above 82 on furmark or OCCT, and I've never seen them break 80 during gaming using the MSI riva tuner overlay. The Red Devil gets used to play Grim Dawn constantly with absolutely zero issues.

We have a dedicated PS CC machine with a Ryzen APU, so can't comment there.

I agree as maybe Wattman or Afterbuner fan profile is what he needs to adjust and maybe a retrim job on gpu .. I wish my daughter had not fallen in love with my RX 580 8Gb card as I wanted to test it on my Ryzen 3600 platform but I am thinking R 9 290 X Big Foot Edition as I don't believe your chart showing 980 GTX faster then RX 580 .

I agree as maybe Wattman or Afterbuner fan profile is what he needs to adjust and maybe a retrim job on gpu .. I wish my daughter had not fallen in love with my RX 580 8Gb card as I wanted to test it on my Ryzen 3600 platform but I am thinking R 9 290 X Big Foot Edition as I don't believe your chart showing 980 GTX faster then RX 580 .

Hmm, the 980 ti is definitely faster than the 580, hell the Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 970 gets pretty much the same scores in Fire Strike and the Heaven benchmark as my MSI 580 card (the Power Color is a synthetics beast though).

I've had three of them. One definitely runs hotter than the others. The MSI armor is the hot one. The MSI gaming x and the Xfx GTS both ran much cooler. I chalk it up to the better cooling solutions.

I've had three of them. One definitely runs hotter than the others. The MSI armor is the hot one. The MSI gaming x and the Xfx GTS both ran much cooler. I chalk it up to the better cooling solutions.

OP says his XFX runs hot, you say yours ran cool; I say my MSI Armour runs cool, you say yours ran hot... I guess they're just all over the place based on your individual card then.

I have 4 of them (3 RX 570's and 1 RX 580 ) Which all came with free games and no real need to sell something that was almost free as I like adding them to builds .. I had a chance to play my XFX RX 570 RS one on one while testing my Ryzen 3600 out on 370x and you can see video card temp as only Afterburner running to show things and I like the performance for 1080p on a budget card .

Oh .. I like WoT if you can not tell by now lol ..

I have 4 of them (3 RX 570's and 1 RX 580 ) Which all came with free games and no real need to sell something that was almost free as I like adding them to builds .. I had a chance to play my XFX RX 570 RS one on one while testing my Ryzen 3600 out on 370x and you can see video card temp as only Afterburner running to show things and I like the performance for 1080p on a budget card .

Oh .. I like WoT if you can not tell by now lol ..

lol I used to be a WOT Addict. must resist reinstalling the game

I have a XFX 390X / kraken Corsair AIO setup and it runs about 70 C max with an -100mV undervolt. I play at high/ultra at 1440p/144 Hz with this setup, your 580 should have enough grunt to play at 2K. What temps do you get with a GPU repaste? I found that a freesync high refresh monitor upgrade is better than a GPU upgrade, my VA LG is butter smooth with no lag or studder.

Last edited:
OP says his XFX runs hot, you say yours ran cool; I say my MSI Armour runs cool, you say yours ran hot... I guess they're just all over the place based on your individual card then.

This.

Case and airflow are non-issues. Case has 5 good 120MM fans and CPU is under water.

I think I’m gonna sell the 580 and go with the 1660ti...

This.

Case and airflow are non-issues. Case has 5 good 120MM fans and CPU is under water.

I think I’m gonna sell the 580 and go with the 1660ti...

While I'd recommend waiting if possible to see if prices settle, especially as 5700s with better coolers arrive, in your price range the 1660Ti is about it today. It's just enough for 1440p, and as above, a high-refresh VRR monitor is highly recommended.

While I'd recommend waiting if possible to see if prices settle, especially as 5700s with better coolers arrive, in your price range the 1660Ti is about it today. It's just enough for 1440p, and as above, a high-refresh VRR monitor is highly recommended.

Will I be able to use a freesync monitor with it? Obviously thats an AMD feature but Ive seen it possible in some videos (maybe unofficially)..

Will I be able to use a freesync monitor with it? Obviously thats an AMD feature but Ive seen it possible in some videos (maybe unofficially)..

You can officially use Freesync over Displayport with all 10-series GPUs and later. So be sure that any potential monitors include that, as some monitors with Displayport only support Freesync over HDMI.

The 'officially' supported ones are the ones that Nvidia has tested to a fairly strict set of criteria, but all will work.

Clean your RX 580 and put a blower in your box and you'll be out of trouble.
Also 1660Ti 6GB is no upgrade to RX580 8GB. You'll have cases when they are equal. If you want better, get a RX 5700 or a RT 2060S, both with 8GB and a real upgrade or wait. RX 5700 series are overpriced for AMD stuff and AMD will come with new graphics cards that will lower Nvidia prices and then AMD prices again. Think that RX 5700 launch price should have been the same as RX 570 8GB. Same size of chip on already not so new 7nm + 8GB of no so fast gddr6 against brand new 14nm, 8GB of fast GDDR5. So the price will go there, at around 200$.

Clean your RX 580 and put a blower in your box and you'll be out of trouble.

This assumes that it's not actually failing. Not a bad idea, but not a definite at all.

Also 1660Ti 6GB is no upgrade to RX580 8GB.

That's the budget today...

If you want better, get a RX 5700 or a RT 2060S, both with 8GB and a real upgrade or wait. RX 5700 series are overpriced for AMD stuff and AMD will come with new graphics cards that will lower Nvidia prices and then AMD prices again. Think that RX 5700 launch price should have been the same as RX 570 8GB. Same size of chip on already not so new 7nm + 8GB of no so fast gddr6 against brand new 14nm, 8GB of fast GDDR5. So the price will go there, at around 200$.

That's not today.

Of course, waiting would be prudent if possible.

If you can only do a new 1660ti for 1440 !? (not a consideration for an 'upgrade' from 580 IMO) then go used pick up a vega/1070 around 200 bucks you probably won't beat it for bang/buck.

Thats been my experience over 3 RX 480s (2 sapphire nitros and msi gaming x) and a rx 570 (asrock). It might also depend on how old your motherboard is. In my 2011 AM3+ mobo with fx8350, both the nitro 480 (far better cooler) and the asrock 570 get super hot in some games and spin up the fans like crazy. Overwatch oddly enough has them up over 2k rpm and loud as hell. The Verminitde games as well. It could be some oddball graphic setting in game for Overwatch but neither the Division1 or Div2 don't push the fans up that loud even after hours of play.

RX 5700 would be noticeable upgrade with small price premium RTX 2060S would be second choice but where I live they are around 100 euro more expensive.So worlds I never tough I say -AMD RX 5700 so far seems sweet spot for upgrade and coast

I give my vote to 1660 Ti as well, it has truly tremendous price and performance ratio. Perfect for farming poe exalted orb on my magic find build together with my group while maintaining a steady fps on 1440P.

Last edited:
RTX 2060 went on sale at Newegg for $279 so I spent $10 more than the 1660ti and got it :)
Good choice. Was going to say that Kyle has a 1080 on Ebay that would fit the bill nicely. (click)

As for temps on the 580. You should check the TIM, if no already done so. Assemble line robots can be terrible at applying paste.

I would shop used cards, for 1440p i'd suggest the 1070 or vega 56. Overall the vega 56 is better but will cost a little bit more than a 1070.

Not sure the 1660ti is the best option because 6gb of ram seems like a limitation that will only get worse as time goes by.

I don't think the 6GB in the 1660Ti will be an issue at 1440p when keeping in mind what the GPU itself is capable of. In other words, you'll run into the limits of what the GPU can deliver before running into a VRAM limitation. It's actually a pretty well balanced card in that regard.

Of course, more is always better when it comes to GPUs, but if the 1660Ti fits your price/performance requirements, I wouldn't let the 6GB deter you.

Here's an odd one. The 8gb RX480's (and the 580 is basically an overclocked 480) are selling for around 80-90 bucks on ebay, and even cheaper for the reference blower models. That's almost identical to what the 1050ti 4gb is going for. Is mining rig liquidation still a thing? Current titles don't seem very demanding at 1080p.

Here's an odd one. The 8gb RX480's (and the 580 is basically an overclocked 480) are selling for around 80-90 bucks on ebay, and even cheaper for the reference blower models. That's almost identical to what the 1050ti 4gb is going for. Is mining rig liquidation still a thing? Current titles don't seem very demanding at 1080p.

My cousin is sitting on a stack of 1060's and 1080Ti's previously used on a mining chassis. He's lazy and hasn't gotten around to selling them, so yeah it's still a thing, but a good one IMO... You can get a great card for a great price. I have a 480 on an ultra wide 1080p freesync display and it does just fine there.

Just out of curiousity... have you tried to undervolt it at all? I run my Fury Tri X, and my 280x undervolted and it keeps them much cooler (I also adjusted the fan profile and overclocked them). I have a few rx560's and a rx570 and none of them run hot, even in my mini itx, but I don't have an rx580 for comparison.

Back