RX 6800 problem

It's locked up the computer twice more since then, hard--nothing but a power cycle works. Anyone wanna buy a mildly-defective card, cheap? :)
RMA the card with a very specific description of what is going on.

My guess is that it got a big power fluctuation. You have it on a sine wave UPS? You should.

RMA the card with a very specific description of what is going on.

My guess is that it got a big power fluctuation. You have it on a sine wave UPS? You should.
It's on a Tripp-Lite AVR750U, which I got before I built this computer, because momentary outages are a bit too common here. The product brief claims it's pure sine and that it's got automatic voltage regulation, for whatever that's worth.

The annoying thing is it can go days without a problem.

It's on a Tripp-Lite AVR750U, which I got before I built this computer, because momentary outages are a bit too common here. The product brief claims it's pure sine and that it's got automatic voltage regulation, for whatever that's worth.

The annoying thing is it can go days without a problem.
I have the same thing here. I had to put big overwattage rigs on all our test units, and now I have those on every system in the house. Don't know if you read through my recent system drama a couple months ago, but it all came down to the PSU (actually two that showed the same behavior when I tested) after replacing every piece of hardware in the system. Sounds like the card got some bad juice or was just fubar to begin with.

I have the same thing here. I had to put big overwattage rigs on all our test units, and now I have those on every system in the house. Don't know if you read through my recent system drama a couple months ago, but it all came down to the PSU (actually two that showed the same behavior when I tested) after replacing every piece of hardware in the system. Sounds like the card got some bad juice or was just fubar to begin with.
I remember that thread, and yeah, I guess that could be it.

I haven't had the best luck with Gigabyte hardware over the years.

Necroing: I bought a PowerColor 6800 and put it in the system Saturday. Just now, I woke the computer from sleep (there was a copy of modded Minecraft running, paused) and got a driver timeout error.

Thoughts?

amd driver timeout.png

Necroing: I bought a PowerColor 6800 and put it in the system Saturday. Just now, I woke the computer from sleep (there was a copy of modded Minecraft running, paused) and got a driver timeout error.

Thoughts?

View attachment 528925
I would get this occasionally when my GPU crashed. It should reset it to default clock settings and undo any tweaks you've made. Until you restart though sometimes catalyst control center won't re-open. Not really a big deal, just points to instability (I had this when I was mining and overclocked the memory. Wouldn't happen often.)

I would get this occasionally when my GPU crashed. It should reset it to default clock settings and undo any tweaks you've made.
I'll admit, since I just swapped on 6800 out for another I didn't DDU it or anything but there shouldn't have been any tweaks. I guess I'm gonna wipe the SSD this weekend and reinstall Windows from scratch.

Got a new SSD, reinstalled Windows 11 from scratch, with the new PowerColor 6800. Fresh reinstall of Steam & the AMD drivers, from the website. Look at this flickering/shimmering in Terraria. It covers the entire top half or so of the screen, the entire area where the sky is exposed.

Seems unlikely to be a problem with either of the particular GPUs--they were bought months apart at different chains and are different brands. This is driving me up the wall.

Got a new SSD, reinstalled Windows 11 from scratch, with the new PowerColor 6800. Fresh reinstall of Steam & the AMD drivers, from the website. Look at this flickering/shimmering in Terraria. It covers the entire top half or so of the screen, the entire area where the sky is exposed.

Seems unlikely to be a problem with either of the particular GPUs--they were bought months apart at different chains and are different brands. This is driving me up the wall.

Do you have VRR on? You could try locking the framerate and shutting off freesync. I had an issue with cyberpunk where FSR was causing flicker.

Not thread hijacking, I also have RX 6800 from xfx, i have tried serval software drivers from amd, and it still happends.

Problems went away with my rtx 2070 super.

I believe there is something wrong with amd drivers and windows 11 not playing nice together,

I cant do system lock up and black screen of death from windows 11, Nvidia does not seem have this problem.

Not thread hijacking, I also have RX 6800 from xfx, i have tried serval software drivers from amd, and it still happends.

Problems went away with my rtx 2070 super.

I believe there is something wrong with amd drivers and windows 11 not playing nice together,

I cant do system lock up and black screen of death from windows 11, Nvidia does not seem have this problem.

I had the first card in a Zen 3 Win 10 system for about 2 weeks and it still exhibited the problem, but not as much. Haven't had the newer card in the other system.

I was just fiddling with video options in Terraria: frame skip off, the flickering went away. Set it to Subtle, and the flicker came back, but not as bad as before. Set it to On, and it got worse, but not as bad as it was in the video.

The entire time (5 minutes so far), the GPU was a rock solid .768V, and GPU max temp was 57, with a 60C hotspot.

I had the first card in a Zen 3 Win 10 system for about 2 weeks and it still exhibited the problem, but not as much. Haven't had the newer card in the other system.
From reading you have done everything from changing hardware to software,

Also i get the amd softwre had system failure. serval times, I feel your pain,

I truthly believe its software related to amd. and not your system, reddit and web is flooded with same problems your having. so i dont think they really fixed drivers for amd 6000 series,

I am not way any fanboy or what ever its called, I dont feel you should have spend tons of money on product for it not work as intended.

Me personally i would get refund for card or sell it and nvidia seems not have problems with windows 11.

Just notice one transient blip of 0V. No idea if that's a sensor issue or real, or if so, it's a cause for concern.

1670185609525.png

Forgot add, when you open amd adrenalin does it says the software doesn't support hardware?

I have that problem, i restalled and uninstalled used DUU tried different drivers, still says hardware not supported by software, yet its amd product running amd software but it says that.

I have owned HD 6950, Radeon VII, never had these problems, get brand new 6800 and have all kinds of problems,

I am sorry your going thru this, I feel your pain, my guess is something do with windows 11 and amd drivers. I have been using rx 6800 only on windows 11. I have switch cpu+motherboard+mem+psu and still same problems.

heres screenshot of error wondering if you get it too?

Attachments

• rx6800.jpg
    rx6800.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 0
Forgot add, when you open amd adrenalin does it says the software doesn't support hardware?

I have not seen that, although my son, who has had an xfx 6700xt that's always run fine since November recently got that error. (Come to think of it, I got it recently on my laptop, an Asus Zephyrus with an rx 4900hs and an rtx 2060.) But not on this card.

I have not seen that, although my son, who has had an xfx 6700xt that's always run fine since November recently got that error. (Come to think of it, I got it recently on my laptop, an Asus Zephyrus with an rx 4900hs and an rtx 2060.) But not on this card.
I believe it's something do software, if I try overclock it will work for day then crash, you can only do so much.

Hmm that's interesting, it just popped up and can't fix it. I think it's software related, when they will fix it is other question if they even do

Hmm that's interesting, it just popped up and can't fix it.
On my laptop, I uninstalled and reinstalled. Son was too busy playing a game at the time, and I forgot about it until now.

Truthfully i might try sell my rx 6800 on forums. otherwise i have send it back to amazon and wait 14+ days lol.

Computers are fun, but nightmare if things go wrong lol

Sorry you guys are having so many problems, anything you'd like me to test on my end? I don't own Terraria so there's not much I can do on that front. Also I own an XT, so I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Whatever's going on, it mainly surfaces as these:

1. The flickering in Terraria, which seems to be solved (so far) by disabling VRR. I *think* I was seeing this in Graveyard Keeper as well, but I haven't played that in a month or so.
2. Driver timeouts. Some games survive this; Minecraft locks up and has to be killed. This is really annoying as I generally play modded, and it means it'll take about 5 minutes to get back into the game. A further symptom I forgot to mention before is that if I get a timeout, any playing Youtube videos will hiccup, and Notepad, Edge, etc., windows will have the title and menu bars go black until I click on the window to cause it to refresh itself. Lately, I've seen Youtube videos sort of flick out--the browser goes all white just for a fraction of a second, and then the video picks up where it left off. Very weird. Those have happened a couple of times even without a driver timeout. Also, the timeouts *mostly* take place when waking the computer from sleep.

Truthfully i might try sell my rx 6800 on forums. otherwise i have send it back to amazon and wait 14+ days lol.
Totally understand it. I bought this one at Microcenter and got their warranty plan, just in case; that way if I have to return it I shouldn't have any issues. Annoyingly, they're short on 3000 series cards with more than 8GB VRAM except the 3060.

Totally understand it. I bought this one at Microcenter and got their warranty plan, just in case; that way if I have to return it I shouldn't have any issues. Annoyingly, they're short on 3000 series cards with more than 8GB VRAM except the 3060.
I found RTX 3080 with 2 years left on warranty for $525 on forum here, I am going choose tonight if i sell it on forum or not.

Lucky you, i bought mine on amazon. they are saying 14+ days get refund lol

I am sorry you have had so many problems, it sucks. this is first time i have had real problem with drivers. normally i can figurei t out quick and easy. but its not been case

Back