RX 480 versus RX470

imre

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I am wanting to know if it is huge mistake that i buy the RX470 4GB versus the RX480 4GB?
I am wanting to go with POWERCOLOR or HIS brands, i am unsure which is a better brand though.
If i get MSI Gaming Edition or any other funky brand thy are just crazy more expensive IMO.
I really dont think for me it is essential i get a GPU which looks nicer.

Anyways moving on , i also want to know if it a better investment buying an RX470/RX480 with 8GB of ram instead f 4GB.
I play games but i dont play latest and greatest. In fact what am i saying i dont even play games, i play COD4 modern warfare on my GTX650 and AMD X4 860K currently.

My friend gave me his rig also which is really old but it is apparently a good PSU and a good CPU so maybe i can use those items , im not sure.

So i just really want to know if i am doing myself in by getting the RX470 instead of the RX480.
For me the price i am saving is marginal BUT it is petrol/gas money for 1.5 weeks for me.
If i buy 2 cards then its 3 weeks petrol OR i can use it for Nandos take out and then delivery fees, no idea.

And then do i get the 4GB version or the 8GB version , or is it not that essential to go overkill with this...
It could be like mixing with Daniel Kandi on a CDJ400 versus a CDJ900 yet the sound and the song will be the same in the end. Maybe a bad or terrible analogy.

I plan to mine with this as a hobby primarily.... and if i get bored and or i see i can not even make a few pennies from this, then at least i just have a super graphics card for a a year or two.

Thanks

i willt repeat what i said in other threads. RX480 8GB will last a long time and offer more value in the long run.
That said, if you only plan on gaming COD4 with a X4 860K, i strongly advise you to save your money with a RX470 4Gb and use whatever is left for your personal improvement.

( which may be learning something that will improve your income, booze and boobs, or saving for a much better PC in the future)

The reason is that upgraditis is a terrible disease when money is short: buy what you NEED to play the game you want to play. the longer you wait, cheaper and better hardware comes to market. in about 1 year you will be paying less for a used GTX 1070 than the price asked today for a RX470 8GB.

Look at the reviews. There isn't a monster difference, I've owned both cards. Obviously the 480 8GB is better, so if you can swing the extra bucks it may give you a little more breathing room. But the 470 is still decent enough for light or low-res gaming.

wait for the rx 580. It should be more power effecient with probably higher clock ceiling. Only a month out.

wait for the rx 580. It should be more power effecient with probably higher clock ceiling. Only a month out.
Excellenty suggestion, i didnt even know if it would come out, i thought the RX490 would still be one to be coming out.
Anyways , my worry is look at the price for the dam GTX 1060/1070 and 1080 and Titan, and even some R9s and the Fury i mean its crazy.... the RX series is really more affordable for me. So i hope i can get the RX580... but i mean at what price...
I reckon i should bite now and take the RX470/Rx480 im just not sure if 8Gb is really essential and specifically for Mining alt coins....i know u get about 2 to 3 millions hashes more between the 4GB and 8 GB version but is it much of a muchness....I did post this question similarly inthe Cryptomining section of this forum. I also wanted to get the opinion of the gamer...
I would like to play Battlefield and some games which might tickle my fancy but i cant say i am a hard core gamer.... the best games i have played bearing in mind i was in the stone age for like 15 years... was NEed For Speed UG / Warcraft3 / COD4.... lol i still play a little COD4...not as much as i would like to ....
I would love to play MAX PAYNE3 BF and other....whatever i get and can play nicely on my platforms with the Rx470/Rx480
Look at the reviews. There isn't a monster difference, I've owned both cards. Obviously the 480 8GB is better, so if you can swing the extra bucks it may give you a little more breathing room. But the 470 is still decent enough for light or low-res gaming.
Cool, so considering its not a monster difference then the RX470 should be kosher enough for me. Not sure why you say it is still decent for light and low res gaming? so you really think i should take the RX480 instead? I primary focus would be for mining and gaming secnod, i am niot a heavy gamer.

Excellenty suggestion, i didnt even know if it would come out, i thought the RX490 would still be one to be coming out.
Anyways , my worry is look at the price for the dam GTX 1060/1070 and 1080 and Titan, and even some R9s and the Fury i mean its crazy.... the RX series is really more affordable for me. So i hope i can get the RX580... but i mean at what price...

Here's the thing, even if the RX 580 launch is too expensive for you, history has taught us that this normally puts downward pressure on the prices of the last gen if the new cards launch with a 5-10% improvement (even if they are rebrands).

Also, never underestimate the used market. Used Nvidia GPU's tend to be good stuff because they are traditionally useless for a lot of types (not all types) of mining and haven't been maxed out to a 100 per cent for a year at a time like their AMD counterparts (on the used market).

Here's the thing, even if the RX 580 launch is too expensive for you, history has taught us that this normally puts downward pressure on the prices of the last gen if the new cards launch with a 5-10% improvement (even if they are rebrands).
Also, never underestimate the used market. Used Nvidia GPU's tend to be good stuff because they are traditionally useless for a lot of types (not all types) of mining and haven't been maxed out to a 100 per cent for a year at a time like their AMD counterparts (on the used market).

So it looks like i will be sticking to the RX470/RX480 for now.
Still not decisive of what is better here 4GB or 8GB but moreso if it is really important or a must to have the 4GB especially when i know i have plans to buy at least 1 more card.
so i can either get the full blown RX480 with 8GB and then go RX480 4GB or RX470.
Or do i keep it simple and just get 2 RX480s at 4GB or RXC470;s

So it looks like i will be sticking to the RX470/RX480 for now.
Still not decisive of what is better here 4GB or 8GB but moreso if it is really important or a must to have the 4GB especially when i know i have plans to buy at least 1 more card.
so i can either get the full blown RX480 with 8GB and then go RX480 4GB or RX470.
Or do i keep it simple and just get 2 RX480s at 4GB or RXC470;s

Why buy one more card? I mean if I need the sometimes off again on again performance boost of crossfire I'd just get the 1070 and get it over with.

Yeh so i wanted to buy the Fury but gees like it it is expensive.
So this is the spot i use for buying my stuff they seem to be the best priced here where i stay.
Please have a look and let me know what card you would get.
I am happy to spend 3500k BUT i was looking to spend 6000k for 2 RX470;s

let me know... www.wootware.co.za

I don't think an 860k will push either of those cards. I recently had an 880k with an rx480 4gb and it loaded the GPU around 50% in gta5 at 1080p with the CPU pegged. I'd only go with one of those cards if you can afford to change platforms in the near future.

Well if you look on slickdeals you can get a rx 470 asus strix for 110 ar ac, I have seen the 480s at 145 and the 8gb cards at 160. To me the 5 to 10 percent increase is not worth the cost, but it really depends on the value to yo.

Back