RX 480 or GTX 1070 with my freesync monitor?

Hello - I am upgrading my graphics card this week and I just can't make this decision so I'm hoping some can help me.

I have a freesync 1440p Benq monitor and I live in Toronto Canada.

I'm so tempted to get an 8GB RX 480 and overclock it so I can utilize freesync. This currently costs $380.

I could also get a GTX 1070 and max out everything but sacrifice not having freesync. There is a 1070 going for $550 right now.

Any help much appreciated!!!

Well its not really comparable....the 1070 is a much faster card than the RX 480.You and only you can can decide if you want more fps while playing or want lower fps.Freesync won'd give you extra fps.Your experience while playing will be much much better with the 1070 compared to the RX480+Freesync.

Well its not really comparable....the 1070 is a much faster card than the RX 480.You and only you can can decide if you want more fps while playing or want lower fps.Freesync won'd give you extra fps.Your experience while playing will be much much better with the 1070 compared to the RX480+Freesync.

You think the extra $180 is worth it?

I personaly was in the same boat,but 1060 vs 1070.I decided to go for the 1060 since money is an issue for me and i play at 1080p not 1440p.For better experience at 1440p the 1070 will be the better choice.But thats just me :)

A 1070 is almost required to play 1440 at decent frame rates. The 1060/480 are geared more towards 1080 gaming.

How much is the R9 fury in canada? The fury nitro is $309 new in the usa. Itll get you into the same performance realm of the 1070 and you can use freesync.

How much is the R9 fury in canada? The fury nitro is $309 new in the usa. Itll get you into the same performance realm of the 1070 and you can use freesync.

The R9 Fury is $599 and the Fury X is about $650.

Doesn't the 1070 crush the R9 Fury tho..?

Im currently rocking an ancient ASUS 7970 lol

Yea the 1070 is faster, but the Fury is cheaper than a 1070 in the US. At those canadian prices I wouldnt consider a fury.

I think a 1070 is worth the extra $100 over a fury which brings you back to square one lol.

Lol okay. And you think the extra performance outweighs the loss of freesync?

My friend was saying you can download drivers to trick the Nvidia card into using freesync is that true?

Losing freesync is subjective. How much does screen tearing bother you? I havent heard of hacking nvidia drivers to make it work with freesync so I wouldnt count on it.

Wait a minute. Didn't you start a thread a while ago asking about whether you should get a 1070/1080 for your FreeSync monitor that you just bought and then we determined that your monitor wasn't a FreeSync monitor to begin with?

Did you go out and buy a FreeSync monitor to replace the one that you had just bought in the previous thread even though you knew you wanted an NVIDIA card?

Something is not adding up here.

Wait a minute. Didn't you start a thread a while ago asking about whether you should get a 1070/1080 for your FreeSync monitor that you just bought and then we determined that your monitor wasn't a FreeSync monitor to begin with?

Did you go out and buy a FreeSync monitor to replace the one that you had just bought in the previous thread even though you knew you wanted an NVIDIA card?

Something is not adding up here.

Haha yeah that's me. But my monitor actually is freesync. I posted the wrong model by accident before.

Yeah I'm having the same problem to get 2 480's or get a 1080. I have a free sync monitor 34 inch ultra wide. But I need that single card performance. Wish the 490 would hurry up.

Sadly I'm having a much easier time of deciding... The RX 480 is too much money for a video card already so the 1070 is just stupid. I'd actually prefer cuda cores for gpgpu but between nvidia's price gouging, the retail chain price gouging and the exchange rate on the USD NVidia is going to have to settle for obscene profits from other peoples money.

sadly the RX 480 is slower than the old gen card the R9 Fury X. And the R9 Fury X only has 4GB of VRAM.
I'm not sure what the folks at ATI are thinking but it sure looks like they are ceding the performance crown and just trying to gobble up the low-middle low end market with the 480.
It really feels like 8GB is the new standard in video cards. So maybe wait for the RX 490...?

R490 to release in 2016?
AMD Radeon RX 490 2016 Release Confirmed? Graphic Card Tipped as Dual GPU to Rival NVIDIA GTX 1080

I would say r9 fury if you haven't gotten one and can get it at the aforementioned low price. I got one and 1440p performance is adequate--crossfire is required to truly demolish it though.

freesync or not... the 1070 is the 1440p card to get unless your budget allows for a 1080

really? I gave up my 980ti and went with a fury to try freesync and I love it. Playing at 1440p its butter smooth in everything at ultra and I can't tell the difference. how much extra fps are we talking about. If he can run 45+ on freesync that is overall a better gaming experiencing than 60fps+ and no freesync. I would rather go with freesync and 480+ than go with a 1070. I had never experienced a game without tearing and stutter and now Its pleasing to the eyes. There is nothing like smooth framerate and no tearing and stuttering.

I don;t know what games the OP plays but I would shoot for freesync right now.

Hello - I am upgrading my graphics card this week and I just can't make this decision so I'm hoping some can help me.

I have a freesync 1440p Benq monitor and I live in Toronto Canada.

I'm so tempted to get an 8GB RX 480 and overclock it so I can utilize freesync. This currently costs $380.

I could also get a GTX 1070 and max out everything but sacrifice not having freesync. There is a 1070 going for $550 right now.

Any help much appreciated!!!

what games are you playing. I would check to see if they all get playable framerates with rx480 on 1440p if they do, then extra frames don't matter. You don't have any idea what you are missing out on until you try freesync or gsync. I haven't tried gsync but I gave up my 980ti to try the r9 fury I got on sale at newegg for 250. It was an open box. I love every single thing about it on freesync. Its butter smooth, I never knew what it felt like games without tearing until I gamed on it. I was playing witcher 3 at 1440p, and man it was such a great experience. I can't express how much it matter because at that point you don't even care about extra frames since its so smooth.

There was a Fury Nitro on sale from jet for $270 in the U.S. not sure about Canada, but that's a way better buy than an RX 480.

freesync or not... the 1070 is the 1440p card to get unless your budget allows for a 1080

have you tried freesync? I thought the same until I tried a fury nitro and thought I couldn't even tell the difference but the smoothness of every game is what I would never trade from now on. Its just a different experience. I haven't tried gsync but I am sure its just as good or better. It sure changed my mind, never thought I would care but it truly is so much smoother and not a single tear in frames. I play all day at 1440p with fury. Yea I can live without the ultra shadows in doom. Wither 3, tomb raider, you name it. Fury handles it just fine at 1440p with every thing ultra and freesync makes it all much better. I haven't run in to an issue where 4gb of hbm chokes at 1440p or may be i don't feel it with freesync. Witcher 3 was a mess without freesync but I its night and day with freesync.

I have a fury X and haven't seen the 4gb become a limititation whatsoever with 1440p gaming or 1600p gaming. The fear is way overblown. The fury cards keep getting faster too with newer driver updates. Dx12 and Vulcan and free sync all make legitimately compelling reasons to buy AMD.

I'd give Fury X a more serious thought, assuming you can get one for prices similar to RX 480 or 1070.

RX480 has not yet gotten their support for FreeSync, so I am more inclined to get what I can see, not what I can't.

FreeSync support for RX480 could be literally tomorrow, but I'd rather wait until it actually comes out before going to buy RX 480.

Depending on how you feel about water cooling, currently Fury X would seem best bang for the buck to pair with FreeSync, assuming, of course, you don't mind possible bottlenecks with the 4GB VRAM (shouldn't be too hard to lower VRAM usage to below 4GB without too much visual loss) and the compulsary watercooling.

For a FreeSync monitor, I admit, currently neither 480 nor 1070 are ideal.

I'd give Fury X a more serious thought, assuming you can get one for prices similar to RX 480 or 1070.

RX480 has not yet gotten their support for FreeSync, so I am more inclined to get what I can see, not what I can't.

FreeSync support for RX480 could be literally tomorrow, but I'd rather wait until it actually comes out before going to buy RX 480.

Depending on how you feel about water cooling, currently Fury X would seem best bang for the buck to pair with FreeSync, assuming, of course, you don't mind possible bottlenecks with the 4GB VRAM (shouldn't be too hard to lower VRAM usage to below 4GB without too much visual loss) and the compulsary watercooling.

truly very hard to be bottleneck I think AMD does a really good job with the fury series with HBM. Unless ofcourse a game demands more than 4gb for ultra shadows or what not. But So far all my games other than doom I can run at ultra settings at 1440p heck even 4k in some games but on regular fury some games are not that smooth on 4k. I am perfectly happy with 1440p performance. At 1440p even the regular fury rocks!

I had day 1 support for freesync on my RX 480. Not sure where you are getting that.

I just bought an ASUS 390X Strix and hoping to get a nice Freesync Ultrawide for it.

No one has mentioned that Crossfire works with Freesync now too...

All this talk about an RX480 not being enough at 1440p... is wrong. For brand new games, you might have to turn down some of the graphics settings. Big whoop.
Also, doesn't the relative value of $180 extra on a GPU depend on the person's financial status? Maybe that's 1 year's income, or 1 day's. I never understood why people ask for opinions on which card to buy when they are clearly in different price brackets.

Well, freesync worked with my 480 at launch. Sounds like someone has a driver related issue due to installation.

FreeSync is very nice and does bring a big difference in my experience to gaming at less than 60 fps. The 1070 will most likely be able to drive that 1440p at 60fps in a lot of games making having FreeSync almost pointless - use Adaptive Sync and keep your frames at 60 fps and you have one smooth experience. I say go with the 1070 if you can afford it - it will last a long time

Go with a Fury/Furyx only if you can really get it at a great price - I think they are great cards but 4gb can be limiting at times.

As for the 480 - FreeSync would actually help 1440p gaming a lot in keeping a smooth game play feel - So maybe OK as well.

you could also go with a cheap used freesync capable card now, wait until Vega arrives, get that, and sell off the used card for the same or slightlt less than you paid for it

Back