RX 480 is apparently killing pcie slots

its a 6 pin. in fact you can see the extra 2 ground wires at a side.

Look a the connector itself I see three yellow and black. Idk looks weird. To me 8 pins are plugged in.

First of all. Power color that fuckin stupid? Their devil cards wont be limited buy a six pin. Plus it says right in the article at videocardz that they are working on an 8 pin connector.

This is an important issue for AMD to address. They'd better not duck and cover on this one, we deserve an official press release with their up-all-night testing results within a few days.

Until then, I'd avoid the reference cards.

What I want to know is how did they miss/fuck this up... not the first trip around the block for them. Must have expected more from the process while re-spinning it.

Look a the connector itself I see three yellow and black. Idk looks weird. To me 8 pins are plugged in.

First of all. Power color that fuckin stupid? Their devil cards wont be limited buy a six pin. Plus it says right in the article at videocardz that they are working on an 8 pin connector.

correct, you see 3 yellow, because that's how it's supposed to be, 3 yellow and 3 black. the only difference between 6 pin and 8 pin are 2 extra black wires.

This may help you.

silencer11.jpg

Its a good thing AMD did not patent the Tesla Car Autopilot feature

I guess they have a hard enough time using a multi-meter

same thing here

qYBnwy6.png

Engadget says it's the King, so move along.
"Instead of trying to build the biggest and most powerful video card on the market, AMD aimed at the low end with the Radeon RX 480" haha, yeah, on purpose

That might work with psychology but not with hardware. You sir, failed. Being outside spec is indicative of engineering failures. No thanks amd.
It's called the scientific method... Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's invalid.

Nearly everyone who dies today within a 100 mile radius of where you live will have breathed the air there. The air must be killing them!!!! Run for your lives! It's not safe!

Seriously, are you guys naive enough to believe any of this crap..?

I can be convinced. Show me one review where the power was measured at the PCI-E slot and the card didn't overdraw.

Just one. That's all I'm asking. Shouldn't be hard if this is "just crap."

Last edited:
Seriously, are you guys naive enough to believe any of this crap..?

I see you are in denial mode. In anycase AMD will have to address it one way or another because it is spiraling out of control.

Edit: Grammar

I can be convinced. Show me one review where the power was measured at the PCI-E slot and the card didn't overdraw.

Just one. That's all I'm asking. Shouldn't be hard it this is "just crap."
Overclock any of the cards of previous generation and measure their power draw. You will be surprised. I have a chart somewhere. All of them are out of spec.

I see you are in denial mode. In anycase AMD will have to address it one way or another because it is spiraling out of control.

Edit: Grammar
I think its more like. You are embarrassed falling for this. :)

Overclock any of the cards of previous generation and measure their power draw. You will be surprised. I have a chart somewhere. All of them are out of spec.

Yes, most cards when overclocked (and some when stock, like the 390x) are out of ATX spec, but they remain in PCI spec. There has been not one card so far that is out of PCI spec in terms of sustained power draw, and believe me, the fanboys have been looking.

Like I said, show me one, just ONE, measurement of a stock (doesn't even have to be overclocked) RX 480 measured at the PCI-E slot that shows it compliant with PCI power draw specs. Going by your last post, it seems that you can't.

Don't worry, I'll wait :)

It's called the scientific method... Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's invalid.

Nearly everyone who dies today within a 100 mile radius of where you live will have breathed the air there. The air must be killing them!!!! Run for your lives! It's not safe!

Except you have to prove your statement. You said causation doesn't equal correlation. We can prove it goes outside the pci specification. What more do you want? I would say you're the one that needs a basic lesson on scientific method.

correct, you see 3 yellow, because that's how it's supposed to be, 3 yellow and 3 black. the only difference between 6 pin and 8 pin are 2 extra black wires.

This may help you.
The extra pins are actually ground and sense 1 pins. If the board doesn't see sense 1, it supposed to limit it's power draw to 75 Watts on the 12V wire. (Yellow)

Oh fuck that's funny. It's like they are asleep at the wheel over there. You have validation teams that should pickup this spec violation immediately. Unless of course they aren't checking or they couldn't fix it in time and some idiot project manager decided to push it through regardless.

The extra pins are actually ground and sense 1 pins. If the board doesn't see sense 1, it supposed to limit it's power draw to 75 Watts on the 12V wire. (Yellow)

Yep essential the 6pin and 8 pin are the same just extra grounds on the 8 pin.

I haven't seen a reviewer test the power draw at the PCI-E slot and say it was within spec yet.
Yep, it's absolutely clear that the RX-480 exceeds PCI-e specs.

What isn't absolutely clear is whether we should actually care about this-- scattered reports of slots dying, but no actual documented proof yet. That will come, one way or the other.

So if it does not sense or has extra ground and draws more than 75 watts. It will burn the mobo....lol
Only ledras mobo...lol

So if it does not sense or has extra ground and draws more than 75 watts. It will burn the mobo....lol

maybe maybe not, it could just screw with the motherboard's ability to distribute power across all devices attached to it, in that case it will cause the system to crash or shutdown. If you do it for a long period of time you can damage the motherboard or other components. This is all depending on what kind of tolerances the motherboard has or doesn't have.

maybe maybe not, it could just screw with the motherboard's ability to distribute power across all devices attached to it, in that case it will cause the system to crash or shutdown. If you do it for a long period of time you can damage the motherboard or other components. This is all depending on what kind of tolerances the motherboard has or doesn't have.
Yes, Maybe in early 90's not on modern hardware.

Except you have to prove your statement. You said causation doesn't equal correlation. We can prove it goes outside the pci specification. What more do you want? I would say you're the one that needs a basic lesson on scientific method.
But you can't prove it caused the hardware failures. Which is precisely the point. There are tons of people who've run a RX 480 in their systems that are still working which would go to directly contradict the claim. If we can take random sample of working systems in controlled conditions, plug in a RX 480, run furmark for an hour, and have some statistically significant number of them fail then you'd have something to go on. The plural of anecdote is not data.

But you can't prove it caused the hardware failures. Which is precisely the point. There are tons of people who've run a RX 480 in their systems that are still working which would go to directly disprove the claim. If we can take random sample of system of working systems in controlled conditions, plug in a RX 480, run furmark for an hour, and have some statistically significant number of them fail then you'd have something to go on. The plural of anecdote is not data.

It doesn't matter if you can prove it or not, in the case of a motherboard failure and if they ask what graphics card you have in there, and you tell them rx 480, they can say its not in spec we aren't going to support you.

Its that simple to void your warranty.

What I want to see is that every review site that has tested the RX 480 power draw with those home brewed test rigs go back and test as many different GPUs as they can. Also I would like to see Toms Hardware , since they seemed to report it pretty early (first even?) test all GPUs on that bench going forward. Do other cards fall out of spec? Which ones? If so by how much? That should keep things scientific and get rid of the claims of anti AMD bias.

It doesn't matter if you can prove it or not, in the case of a motherboard failure and if they ask what graphics card you have in there, and you tell them rx 480, they can say its not in spec we aren't going to support you.

Its that simple to void your warranty.
That's a bit different situation from the sensationalist claim in the topic of a the thread that the RX 480 is killing motherboards.

That's a bit different situation from the sensationalist claim in the topic of a the thread that the RX 480 is killing motherboards.

NO its not, you think a motherboard company doesn't care about a product that is in spec or not? Why the hell are they part of PCI-SIG in the first place then? Do you realize that PCI-SIG is made up of every company that is from manufacturing of computer components to OEM's and system builders?

Yep, it's absolutely clear that the RX-480 exceeds PCI-e specs.

What isn't absolutely clear is whether we should actually care about this-- scattered reports of slots dying, but no actual documented proof yet. That will come, one way or the other.
At the very least I would think it would void your motherboard warranty if you use a card that violates the PCI-E spec for the slot. But what if you buy an RX 480 from the company that made your motherboard?

Back