RX 480 is apparently killing pcie slots

The German article that TPU sources doesn't include any official statement of it being removed from the list. It was probably never even updated to include it. In clickbait style they are just using the assumption that because it's not on the list at this time it must have been removed.

Interestingly, the article mentions that PCI-SIG president Al Yanes says that they don't test the current draw from individual components. The total combined power draw of the card is all that needs to be within tolerance during testing.

Pikantes Politikum: Die Radeon RX 480 und die PCIe-Spezifikation

I don't believe that the AMD cards have been added. Not that it matters in the first place.
None of the Polaris cards appear in the list. They probably just don't update it that often.

Drivers don't kick in when you're doing Windows updates. I'm in the Insider Edition fast ring update program and when it does its full update cycle it's about 40 or so minutes pulling power pre-drivers.

BIOS flashing would be the only non-replacement way of fixing this issue.

I've been in the Insider's Fast Ring. I've never had a video card ramp up to full throttle while watching Windows 10 update. What triggered this for you? I'll reinstall the Fast Ring and see if you can confirm that this happens for you.

Then I stand partially corrected (person I replied to still claims that the 1060 was "removed" from the list when it wasn't).

So we don't even know if it was ever on the list. Basically no new news.

Hey TPU gave life to a dead horse. Lol, this thread was dead until now. Now we are all at it again. Fun times.

For AIB's, this list was at least updated after June 27th. So the rx480 had to have been certified before that date....... it was launched on the 29th of June. Just filter out by type and then sort by date to find the last date that was added.

If you start looking at when certification is done, its usually months before a product is even released. For all of the nV's cards January for a March launch. AMD's you can see at least a month or two prior to launch.

Then I stand partially corrected (person I replied to still claims that the 1060 was "removed" from the list when it wasn't).
Is that not the same argument TPU made and this whole thread necro'd over? Everything on the list looks to have been added months prior to actual release as would be standard operating procedure.

Is that not the same argument TPU made and this whole thread necro'd over? Everything on the list looks to have been added months prior to actual release as would be standard operating procedure.

That's what I meant about partially corrected. I was wrong on one point, correct in the other.

I had people tell me my motherboard would be dead the same week i installed both my RX 480s, here i am -- still on the same driver 16.6.2 24x7 100% load and no issues on a low end $70 gigabyte board. I think the concerns are vastly overblown, with that said i am not sure what they should of done. Probably lower clocks so they can show power efficiency and run with a single 6pin -- then the aftermarket ones come with 8 pin or two 6 pins as always. Its just kinda crummy situation, the 280x was a rebrand 7970, the 380x not really an improvement over 280x and now the 480 with lower clocks not much improvement over 380x... so I can see why they pushed for higher clocks

I had people tell me my motherboard would be dead the same week i installed both my RX 480s, here i am -- still on the same driver 16.6.2 24x7 100% load and no issues on a low end $70 gigabyte board. I think the concerns are vastly overblown, with that said i am not sure what they should of done. Probably lower clocks so they can show power efficiency and run with a single 6pin -- then the aftermarket ones come with 8 pin or two 6 pins as always. Its just kinda crummy situation, the 280x was a rebrand 7970, the 380x not really an improvement over 280x and now the 480 with lower clocks not much improvement over 380x... so I can see why they pushed for higher clocks

The way that the power issue works should not cause an instant blown motherboard. It should place additional wear and tear on the PCIE connection, causing it to degrade faster and fail sooner than anticipated.

It's like eating cake. You won't gain 300lbs after one slice, but if that's all you eat, you'll eventually put on the weight.

I'd switch to the new driver rather than tempt fate.

The way that the power issue works should not cause an instant blown motherboard. It should place additional wear and tear on the PCIE connection, causing it to degrade faster and fail sooner than anticipated.

It's like eating cake. You won't gain 300lbs after one slice, but if that's all you eat, you'll eventually put on the weight.

I'd switch to the new driver rather than tempt fate.

That's still a bit overblown.

That's still a bit overblown.

EDIT: Post below is just in case your comment wasn't merely a pun. If it was, bravo.

-----

No, it's factual. (Source)

I asked around our friends in the motherboard business for some feedback on this issue - is it something that users should be concerned about or are modern day motherboards built to handle this type of variance? One vendor told me directly that while spikes as high as 95 watts of power draw through the PCIE connection are tolerated without issue, sustained power draw at that kind of level would likely cause damage. The pins and connectors are the most likely failure points - he didn’t seem concerned about the traces on the board as they had enough copper in the power plane to withstand the current.

Now, you can find a bunch of people in the AMD Reddit that claim to be engineers (I suspect Burger Engineers) and state repeatedly that this isn't a problem. But so far I have yet to see a source of the level that I've cited that states that this is a non-issue.

Last edited:
Back