rx 480 Asus strix review @ Techpowerup and bad rx 480 overclocking and power usage

I've been saying all along the 1060 is the superior card of the two but the AMD fans keep harping on and on about Vulkan which has only one game win and even that is because Doom Vulkan for nvidia isn't ready so it's a lopsided comparison. In nearly every other metric the 1060 is superior. Only a fool would pick a 480 over it with just a $10 price gap.
Also dear AMD friends, remember BF4s mantle hype and DICE endorsing AMD? How did that work out in the long run? Yup, just can't trust AMD driver support.

It is funny you write this stuff down there must have been some kind of alert going of in your brain , what am I doing here am I doing a good job of thread crapping in the AMD section are my Nvidia buddies going to like my post very much now ?

RX 480 proves a lot of things and it is not pure and raw performance it proofs that AMD made the right choice leaving the coding to the game developers rather then their driver team, this is the future ....

Btw Mantle and drivers is a little bit of a bad thought process since Mantle is a close to metal API and thus relies on developers code.

It is funny you write this stuff down there must have been some kind of alert going of in your brain , what am I doing here am I doing a good job of thread crapping in the AMD section are my Nvidia buddies going to like my post very much now ?

RX 480 proves a lot of things and it is not pure and raw performance it proofs that AMD made the right choice leaving the coding to the game developers rather then their driver team, this is the future ....

Btw Mantle and drivers is a little bit of a bad thought process since Mantle is a close to metal API and thus relies on developers code.

So it's DICEs fault that BF4 performance dropped off so bad after Mantle's release?

AMD cards are never known for their ability to overclock a ton. Nice thing is you still get a pretty decent gain out of them even if it's not a impressive overclock. I am still amazed how many come to the AMD forum to tell everyone how great the 1060 is, last I checked that was not a AMD card.

I have a 5 dollar bet the RX480 smokes the 1060 in upcoming Mankind Divided dx12. (even with overclock) You be lucky if the nvidia cards could finish a level without crashing lol!

Reactions: Zuul
like this
So it's DICEs fault that BF4 performance dropped off so bad after Mantle's release?
Mantle is a discounted api for a long time now. Are you saying dx12 and or vulkan will be just a passing fad? Go ahead and believe what you want but this topic has been trolled by nvidiots several times already. Its not a huge surprise really since AMD is not known for optimizing drivers much for older games. My bet is there putting 99% manpower into dx12 and vulkan performance from this point forward. (it worked out well for doom didn't it?) Nothing is changing since you guys will continue flapping to dx11 performance and AMD will provide superior dx12/ Vulkan performance.:sneaky:

Say bad things about AMD = Worst review site.
Say good things about AMD = Best review site, just look at these ones guys, they are the only sites that matter.

AMDs graphics cards receive big boost with the latest drivers in Windows 10 - The R9 280X runs on par with the GTX 780 and the rest of AMDs cards beat Nvidia cards that they previously lost to in 1440p and 4K. And yes, the Fury X beats the GTX 980 Ti! • /r/Amd

Overclocking has been AMD's achilles heel since GCN 1.1.
TPU's MSI 1060 OC puts it up nearly 20% over stock.

lol completely different architectures have completely different performance gains.. you can't say well this card overclocked 20% so it's obviously better when it only gained 7% in performance but this one overclocked 10% but gained 15% in performance for example..

as always with overclocking it's hit or miss but the fact that they wasted peoples time by overclocking an aftermarket cooled card with stock voltages is dumb. no ones going to buy that card just to overclock with stock voltages, if they wanted to do that they'd just buy an OEM card for way cheaper.

I have a 5 dollar bet the RX480 smokes the 1060 in upcoming Mankind Divided dx12. (even with overclock) You be lucky if the nvidia cards could finish a level without crashing lol!

Isn't that an AMD sponsored game? That's like someone saying, "I bet AMD will get smoked in Project Cars!"

Not as far as I know.....just like doom their a very low level sponsor if at all

Kinda looks like it to me: AMD Gaming Evolved and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided™ and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – Official CGI Trailer Released, Additional Details Unveiled, Will Support DX12 | DSOGaming | The Dark Side Of Gaming

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will also mark a new era in Eidos-Montréal’s technology, utilizing the advanced visual and immersive capabilities of the Dawn Engine, specifically built for the recent generation of consoles and PC. Under the umbrella of the Gaming Evolved program, AMD and Eidos-Montréal have been collaborating on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and the game will feature Microsoft’s DirectX 12 support as well as AMD’s TressFX.

PhysX, APEX and Tiled Lighting mostly benefits nvidia.....But you know as well as i the main performance well be dx12 and Asyne compute (which is not proprietary to AMD either) Anyway i find it hard to believe the devs put a lot of time optimizing it for only 20% of their customers RIGHT?

like this
PhysX, APEX and Tiled Lighting mostly benefits nvidia.....But you know as well as i the main performance well be dx12 and Asyne compute (which is not proprietary to AMD either) Anyway i find it hard to believe the devs put a lot of time optimizing it for only 20% of their customers RIGHT?
Last I heard, they were only using async for TressFX.
It doesn't matter anyway, async is only responsible for about 1/3 of AMD's total performance gains in DX12. You could disable async on AMD GPUs and wave a magical wand to enable it on Nvidia GPUs and AMD would still win handily.

Until devs decide they care about PC gaming hardware (ie: Nvidia), that's the way it's going to be. The community will continue throwing around buzzwords because it's a convenient way to blame Nvidia instead of lazy/incompetent developers. Even on this forum, where people know better, they do it anyway.

Marketing 101.

like this
Well, Hitman devs did just that, and yes, async compute was irrelevant there as well.

Anyway i find it hard to believe the devs put a lot of time optimizing it for only 20% of their customers RIGHT?

Wouldn't matter as long as it runs acceptable on NVIDIA hardware and the finely tuned async optimizations benefit AMD. Who knows if that will turn out to be the case but the possibility is very real.

Last edited:
So you have a 750W PSU , but total system power draw in your cited example of ~320W is a deal breaker? Even if it drew another 150W past that, your system would still wouldn't be to the point of needed additional hardware to function normally. So it's a deal breaker simply because you want it to be, not for any objective reason. Got it.

I guess you missed the "gives off too much heat part". I prefer my gpu's under 200 watts. @ 1080p there is no reason I should need a gpu that's heats up my case and my room. There is a used 390X for sale for 200$. The ONLY reason I didn't buy it is because when overclocked its like 300 watts. Like I said I like overclocking my gpu's

Why do people think Vulkan will be any more popular than OpenGL is right now is beyond me.

As far as DX12 is concerned, it's a wash at this point. The majority of games coming out in a few years will still be DX11, with DX12 features, just like DX9+10 and DX9+11.

It remains to be seen whether DX12 will allow the higher TFLOPS of the RX480 to materialize.

Why do people think Vulkan will be any more popular than OpenGL is right now is beyond me.

As far as DX12 is concerned, it's a wash at this point. The majority of games coming out in a few years will still be DX11, with DX12 features, just like DX9+10 and DX9+11.

It remains to be seen whether DX12 will allow the higher TFLOPS of the RX480 to materialize.
How bout the fact that both nvidia and amd cards as a hole had better performance under vulkan with doom for starters. If it helps both camps with performance compared to opengl why wouldn't it?

How bout the fact that both nvidia and amd cards as a hole had better performance under vulkan with doom for starters. If it helps both camps with performance compared to opengl why wouldn't it?

Because Vulkan is too niche. Why would anyone uses Vulkan and not DX12 if their name isn't id and they're not writing for linux? Apple already drops Vulkan for Metal, so a big gaming ecosystem is out. Linux gaming is still tiny niche compared to macOS gaming. Windows gaming will be served with DX11 and DX12.

So where will Vulkan fit?

Because Vulkan is too niche. Why would anyone uses Vulkan and not DX12 if their name isn't id and they're not writing for linux? Apple already drops Vulkan for Metal, so a big gaming ecosystem is out. Linux gaming is still tiny niche compared to macOS gaming. Windows gaming will be served with DX11 and DX12.

So where will Vulkan fit?

Well, to start with, it's decidedly better to have a single Vulkan renderer done right than two shitty Dx11 and Dx12 versions.

Next, Apple be Apple, but Android is there too.

Above is mostly wishful thinking since there indeed exists a reason behind D3D being more popular than OpenGL, apart from OpenGL being a hot mess driver quality wise.

Well, to start with, it's decidedly better to have a single Vulkan renderer done right than two shitty Dx11 and Dx12 versions.

Next, Apple be Apple, but Android is there too.

Above is mostly wishful thinking since there indeed exists a reason behind D3D being more popular than OpenGL, apart from OpenGL being a hot mess driver quality wise.

Do PC gamers really really want Android ports? :eek:

What is your reference card good for? And what fan speed does it need? The dd should be quieter at times

I finally got around to really looking into this and understanding what the guy did. Still it puzzles me how the very same hardware can perform so well in some games and api's but in mostly dx11 its like they didnt even bother to try. Makes ya wonder if they ever will bother to optimize the older dx11 games. I wouldn't hold my breath TBH. They better do another doom vulkan when Mankind divided comes out.

Reference card is good for keeping the insides of my case cooler as hot air is being blown out from the rear part of the case, considering I am in the middle east lately yes this does matter (reference card GPUs)
I need it to be manually set to 2500-3500rpm fan speed in order for temps to stay at 68-78 degrees while gaming, mine is running at 1328mhz by the way

I guess you missed the "gives off too much heat part". I prefer my gpu's under 200 watts. @ 1080p there is no reason I should need a gpu that's heats up my case and my room. There is a used 390X for sale for 200$. The ONLY reason I didn't buy it is because when overclocked its like 300 watts. Like I said I like overclocking my gpu's
this guy....you don't like heat? but you like overclocking? If nvidia gives you an arbitrary number you like it because you get a percentage overclock. With less heat?

I like overclocking when it only raises wattage by 20watts. Looks like the 480 gives 50% percent more heat when overclocked. Seems its overclocking raises wattage and heat output,just like a 390x did.
I like overclocking but it doesn 't mean I want a overclocked AMD cpu giving off massive amount of heat in my case.

if fact I don't want nothing in my case giving off massive amounts of heat.

1060 is the better choice if your overclocking.

I like overclocking when it only raises wattage by 20watts. Looks like the 480 gives 50% percent more heat when overclocked. Seems its overclocking raises wattage and heat output,just like a 390x did.
I like overclocking but it doesn 't mean I want a overclocked AMD cpu giving off massive amount of heat in my case.
If you have no interest at all in AMD cards, why are you so inclined to post in AMD threads? Hell im just curious really..... Your want to make sure others dont make foolish mistakes by purchasing non nvidia cards? lol Go back to flapping each other in the nvidia threads!:woot: The rx480s put out less heat than my current card, so it cant be that bad!

I was expecting 1425 or more from these higher end cards.
To me this is disappointing.

Agree, if top tier AIB 480's can't reach at least 1400 consistently, long term sales of this card will suffer. Tbh, I was actually hoping to see some 1550-1600 oc's but now have my doubts.

Agree, if top tier AIB 480's can't reach at least 1400 consistently, long term sales of this card will suffer. Tbh, I was actually hoping to see some 1550-1600 oc's but now have my doubts.

1550-1600 would only be possible with LN2 or dry ice I would think. Hopefully someone does it and we can get some performance numbers.

Wrong thread.

If you have no interest at all in AMD cards, why are you so inclined to post in AMD threads?

Because he was banned on Anandtech.

On Topic. Although I was looking forward to AIB reviews....wow that is some fucking shitty overclocking....Man......Ugh Looks like Kyle might of been right all along.

like this
Because he was banned on Anandtech.

On Topic. Although I was looking forward to AIB reviews....wow that is some fucking shitty overclocking....Man......Ugh Looks like Kyle might of been right all along.
yea i dont expect them to get the clock speed improved till next year lol...they have some work cut out for them

If you have no interest at all in AMD cards, why are you so inclined to post in AMD threads? Hell im just curious really..... Your want to make sure others dont make foolish mistakes by purchasing non nvidia cards? lol Go back to flapping each other in the nvidia threads!:woot: The rx480s put out less heat than my current card, so it cant be that bad!

WHo said I don't have interest in AMD cards? Are you trolling? My last setup was a 6870 2gb crossfire setup. At the time, gave great performance for the buck and didn't make my case a space heater. The 9550 @ 4ghz did.:)

I see many people switching from a 390(X) to a rx480. WHats the point? An overclocked 480 gives you about the same performance as a stock 390x, with basically the same heat output.

On the other hand ,I see many people who like this new 480 Nitro card, but don't seem to know that with higher core frequency ,the Polaris cards seem to use MUCH more power than it should.

I'm the OP, and the topic is rx480 overclocking.
It does belong in the AMD forum .

rx 480 Asus strix review and bad overclocking @ Techpowerup

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
When going from a rx480 stock @ 1266 and overclocking a tiny bit to 1340, (74mhz) , power increases 80 watts! That's ridiculous!
Take a look at the competition ,the gtx1060FE and give it a max overclock . Power increases a whole 18 watts!!!
That's a big difference!
gtx-1060-bench-power.png

Last edited:
Considering that it's sponsored by AMD I wouldn't be surprised... So far AMD logo in game has been as worse if not worse than so called gimpworks.

Take this image and slide the middle line over to -10.
The 1060 wins in everything aside from Quantum Break DX12, Hitman DX12, and Blops where it loses by <5% in all 3 games, and Vulkan Doom where it loses by about 10%. It wins in everything else, including Total War DX12 and Ashes DX12, and up to 40% in DX11.

This would mean OC vs OC, the 1060 wins in two DX12 games and loses in two DX12 games (the wins have a larger margin than losses), and loses 1 Vulkan game -- probably wins Talos Principle but we'll let that slide. It wins every DX11 game on the market except Blops3.

Would you still get the 480? Without the overclock, it's competitive. With the overclock, it's borderline obsolete. The 480 still has price and (potentially) VRAM on its side, however.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if ditching proper async support means freeing up OC headroom then Nvidia has their priorities straight. +10% in DX12 w/ async, vs +10% in everything w/ OC. When AMD someday figures out how to do both at the same time, they'll have a winner.

This graph actually majorly conflicts with my understanding of 1060's performance based on [H]'s reviews (I was under the impression that Rx 480 wins by lots in DX12 and loses by a little in DX11, but the graph is COMPLETELY the other way round).

Either I really suck at interpreting at [H]'s results, or I just plain suck >.<

Considering that it's sponsored by AMD I wouldn't be surprised... So far AMD logo in game has been as worse if not worse than so called gimpworks.

AMD started the entire gimping trend with TressFX in 2013's Tomb Raider as well. AMD loves to play dirty when it suits them, but will call foul as soon as someone gives them a taste of their own medicine.

AMD started the entire gimping trend with TressFX in 2013's Tomb Raider as well. AMD loves to play dirty when it suits them, but will call foul as soon as someone gives them a taste of their own medicine.
lol ya someone put their red fingers in someones ass.

What BS is that , source for this feature was always shared source there was nothing happening except someone got caught sleeping ...

WHo said I don't have interest in AMD cards? Are you trolling? My last setup was a 6870 2gb crossfire setup. At the time, gave great performance for the buck and didn't make my case a space heater. The 9550 @ 4ghz did.:)

I see many people switching from a 390(X) to a rx480. WHats the point? An overclocked 480 gives you about the same performance as a stock 390x, with basically the same heat output.

On the other hand ,I see many people who like this new 480 Nitro card, but don't seem to know that with higher core frequency ,the Polaris cards seem to use MUCH more power than it should.

I'm the OP, and the topic is rx480 overclocking.
It does belong in the AMD forum .

rx 480 Asus strix review and bad overclocking @ Techpowerup

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.
When going from a rx480 stock @ 1266 and overclocking a tiny bit to 1340, (74mhz) , power increases 80 watts! That's ridiculous!
Take a look at the competition ,the gtx1060FE and give it a max overclock . Power increases a whole 18 watts!!!
That's a big difference!
gtx-1060-bench-power.png

Roughly 60 watts of extra system draw may be substantial to you, but to many of us [H] members its hardly a concern.

Roughly 60 watts of extra system draw may be substantial to you, but to many of us [H] members its hardly a concern.

rx480 stock vs a rx480 @ 1340 = 80 watts more. I hear the Nitro clocks a bit higher. @ 1400 I'm guessing at least 100 watts more?
You guys don't see a problem with that?
A rx480 is about 155 watts stock correct? So it consumes about 235 watts when overclocked to 1340. that's crazy! 50% more power!?

Last edited:
Back