rx 480 Asus strix review @ Techpowerup and bad rx 480 overclocking and power usage

One of the worst review sites though, bad enough that a certain someone that likes to post almost always uses their charts as proof of how bad AMD is.

I wrote them off after no Doom testing, and only testing ROTR for DX12

Everyone else uses Hitman in DX12 except them it seems they don't path their games, makes me think their ROTR is patch 6

"The game uses an in-house game engine by IO Interactive that is one of the first to leverage DirectX 12. The game's DirectX 12 implementation, however, is too riddled with bugs to be integrated into our test bench for now. In this test, we're testing the game in DirectX 11 mode, which is still reasonably taxing on high-end GPUs."

Say bad things about AMD = Worst review site.
Say good things about AMD = Best review site, just look at these ones guys, they are the only sites that matter.

AMDs graphics cards receive big boost with the latest drivers in Windows 10 - The R9 280X runs on par with the GTX 780 and the rest of AMDs cards beat Nvidia cards that they previously lost to in 1440p and 4K. And yes, the Fury X beats the GTX 980 Ti! • /r/Amd

Overclocking has been AMD's achilles heel since GCN 1.1.
TPU's MSI 1060 OC puts it up nearly 20% over stock.

My point was not to judge the review but the overclocking ability of the AIB 480's.

XFX 480 black edition overclocking only 1328mhz?!.
about 4 minutes into the video till the end.

[H] will review it sooner or latter......Hardware wise it a beauty of a card! I like the longer pcb and high end cooler

My point was not to judge the review but the overclocking ability of the AIB 480's.

XFX 480 black edition overclocking only 1328mhz?!.
about 4 minutes into the video till the end.

are asus and xfx using the same pcb? they both look much longer than the reference card.

That's fair but it doesn't mean anything in the context of determining overclock ability since it's all up to the lottery. That said, I would never recommend buying Asus for AMD gpu and XFX is rather on the cheap end of the AIB spectrum. I've seen references to the Sapphire 480 Nitro at 1425, and there's also the Powercolor Devil 480. MSI is also fwiw bringing a great card w revamped, ie. no draw from the pcie lane. Again, the Asus cards, would not touch with a ten foot pole.

I just read this review over at Techpowerup. Seems the card only hit 1355 core and used more power than a gtx 1080 for a 3% overclock.

ASUS RX 480 STRIX OC 8 GB Review

They used default voltages. It makes the overclock review useless.

"Overclocking results listed in this section are achieved with the default fan and voltage settings as defined in the VGA BIOS. We choose this approach as it is the most realistic scenario for most users."

in the video I posted the guy does turn up the power limit (at the end of video) and it still only made it to 1328.

one test mabe, but 2 tests now and nothing special.

like I was saying I was expecting 1425, but now I see the 480 Nitro charts that were leaked were faked.

Last edited:
They used stock voltage on their MSI 1060 as well.
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6 GB Review

Even the ref 1060 beat it.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB Review

Unless there's a reason to believe the 480 will scale amazingly with increased voltage (ie: MUCH better than the 1060).
Still need more reviews, bad samples happen.

Yea, we need more reviews, concur. That said from the MSI 1060 to the Asus 480, the difference at stock volts is 8% vs 7% by the math unless I'm that bad at math heh.

Increasing the power limit isn't the same as increasing voltage.
Increasing the voltage doesn't necessarily mean you can increase the clock. CMOS gets slower when it's hot, and increasing the voltage will, all else being equal, increase the heat generated on the chip by the square of the increase. So 5% more voltage equals about 10% more heat, and so on. And then you get the linear effect of upping the clock speed: 5% faster means 5% more heat, in a low-leakage process.

If you can pull that heat off quickly enough to keep the die temp down, it's no problem (unless the transistors fail because the voltage is too high), but as others have mentioned, getting heat off of a tiny die can be a problem. Heat transfer is generally proportional to the surface area of the interface the heat is flowing across. Small dies are much harder to cool, watt for watt, than big die are.

All else being equal the RX 480 would be no harder to cool than the same-sized-die GTX 1060. But the GTX 1060 dissipates a lot less power at stock, so for the same thermal conductivity at the die-to-heatsink interface and same max die temp, the GTX 1060 will have more overclocking headroom before hitting its thermal limits.

Last edited:
[H] knows how to OC. It's why I wait for their reviews.
And it been well known form the start......High clocking 480s are luck of the draw. At least the card should never throttle from heat:) the xfx showed 70 for max temp

Last edited:
I'm honestly not expecting miracles from the custom AIB cards. I do expect they will have better power distribution, power plugs to ensure they're within spec whilst overclocking, and their cooling systems should be quieter, if not better. All three of these expectations in a single package for not much more than a reference 8 GB card 239 USD (so, for 275 USD or under) would be a rather sweet package.

They used stock voltage on their MSI 1060 as well.
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6 GB Review

Even the ref 1060 beat it.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB Review

Unless there's a reason to believe the 480 will scale amazingly with increased voltage (ie: MUCH better than the 1060).
Still need more reviews, bad samples happen.

This feels like it is going down the same path as other FinFET releases...

1.) Find information/rumor on new pre-release GPU detailing stock clocks
2.) Declare that you can't wait to see how the card performs once they hit +30% higher clock speeds with a good OC!
3.) Discover rumored information on power phases and PCIE convectors of AIB partner cards
4.) Declare that "Holy shit, can you imagine how awesome the cards will be with an extra 8 pin connector?!?"
5.) Forum and Reddit Warriors grab their crystal balls and go to work with napkin math. The new conversation becomes "Just wait for the reviews". Everyone thinks they are correct.
6.) GPU releases with the reference model, initial reviews point to somewhat disappointing overclocks
7.) The Warriors immediately point out flaws in all low overclocks, and move the stake to "The AIB cards will overclock much better!"
8.) At least one person will make a video in another language showing their monster overclock. This will be seen hundreds of thousands gf times in the first 48 hours. Warriors feel this validates how much better the AIB cards will be.
9.) AIB cards launch to similarly disappointing reviews with regards to overclocking.
10.) Again flaws in the AIB reviews are pointed out
11.) More information eventually backs up the AIB reviews
12.) People move the conversation to a new topic of "Just wait until [Custom Card X/FTW launches]!"
13.) ???
14.) Eventually people realize the cards all overclock to roughly similar speeds and buying a card is all about cost, noise and features, not about which model is faster than the others.
15.) Turns out GPU makers know what they are doing and aren't leaving a lot of performance on the table for the reference design.

Last edited:
The Asus Strix 480 is actually throttling at stock. Average clock is 1290mhz, power throttle at 180w.

Powercolor devil is 1340mhz boost announced

The Asus Strix 480 is actually throttling at stock. Average clock is 1290mhz, power throttle at 180w.

Yeah, as much as some have dismissed power efficiency, overclocking tends to be an area a bit sensitive to it. Bottom line, Polaris runs hot for this generation, and while that's not a huge deal I'll be interested to see how far overclocking really does go with this part. Three fans on a part that starts at $200?

I guess I'm just not getting it. I don't own a 480 and I can appreciate getting the most bang out of a part, but there's something about the 480 where I feel like people want more out if than what it's capable of. Big cooling, big overclocks, Crossfire. I just don't think that's what this card is about. Now the DX12/Vulkan improvements I definitely think are cool. Cool as in not needing three fans.

That is one pathetic review? Have you guys seen the numbers? The numbers dont add up. This review he has gtx 1060 even more faster than the last review a day ago lol. Too many mistakes in the review. Assassins creed is faster at 4k then 1440p? I am scratching my head here. I don't think he puts the same effort he used to in the reviews too many errors.

The German review explained the card a bit better. The card in "Gaming" mode (which is what they did all the tests in) has a max clock of 1290 (edit: not sure now if thats even a throttled value as its supposed to be 1310, could Asus have screwed up) and it seems to vary between 1240 and that value depending on the game. The OC mode has a max clock of 1330.

Last edited:
The German review explained the card a bit better. The card in "Gaming" mode (which is what they did all the tests in) has a max clock of 1290 (edit: not sure now if thats even a throttled value as its supposed to be 1310, could Asus have screwed up) and it seems to vary between 1240 and that value depending on the game. The OC mode has a max clock of 1330.

TPU set it in OC mode, you can clearly see this in their clock profiles 0age of their review. It peaks at 1330mhz but can't sustain it

TPU set it in OC mode, you can clearly see this in their clock profiles 0age of their review. It peaks at 1330mhz but can't sustain it

They have it in Gaming mode, the reviewer responded when asked and their clock profiles you point out says that (1310 max with 1291 average). I was wrong about average though, it is 1290 which matches up with computerbase.de review. OC mode seems to bring averages closer to max though (1330) and at little difference to gaming in temps and noise, but power goes up.

Here is the other review: Asus Radeon RX 480 Strix im Test btw.

I remember when HIS made clean looking cards, this is kind of fugly, but I wonder what is under the hood.

HIS-Radeon-RX-480-IceQX2-Roaring--e1468489452685.jpeg

I remember when HIS made clean looking cards, this is kind of fugly, but I wonder what is under the hood.

HIS-Radeon-RX-480-IceQX2-Roaring--e1468489452685.jpeg

Going by the art behind it, looks like there is a 480 under the hood :p

The huge shroud and small fans are doing that look any favors :eek:

HIS is known for fugly cards, that's their thing, their specialty. Their art designs are something out of the dollar store.

This feels like it is going down the same path as other FinFET releases...

1.) Find information/rumor on new pre-release GPU detailing stock clocks
2.) Declare that you can't wait to see how the card performs once they hit +30% higher clock speeds with a good OC!
3.) Discover rumored information on power phases and PCIE convectors of AIB partner cards
4.) Declare that "Holy shit, can you imagine how awesome the cards will be with an extra 8 pin connector?!?"
5.) Forum and Reddit Warriors grab their crystal balls and go to work with napkin math. The new conversation becomes "Just wait for the reviews". Everyone thinks they are correct.
6.) GPU releases with the reference model, initial reviews point to somewhat disappointing overclocks
7.) The Warriors immediately point out flaws in all low overclocks, and move the stake to "The AIB cards will overclock much better!"
8.) At least one person will make a video in another language showing their monster overclock. This will be seen hundreds of thousands gf times in the first 48 hours. Warriors fee this validates how much better the AIB cards will be.
9.) AIB cards launch to similarly disappointing reviews with regards to overclocking.
10.) Again flaws in the AIB reviews are pointed out
11.) More information eventually backs up the AIB reviews
12.) People move the conversation to a new topic of "Just wait until [Custom Card X/FTW launches]!"
13.) ???
14.) Eventually people realize the cards all overclock to roughly similar speeds and buying a card is all about cost, noise and features, not about which model is faster than the others.
15.) Turns out GPU makers know what they are doing and aren't leaving a lot of performance on the table for the reference design.

Most of us know that this chip does not overclock. Hence the 1266/1288 default setting for most cards, the editorial piece by Kyle Bennett and it is a mid range card.

You and several others been portraying the rumour sites as videocardz as AMD hype train. While in reality there is no such thing.

Mid range card for a good price , not anything else.

Is this what we're gonna do? Blur the line to downplay overclockability?
Pascal isn't a great OCer but it's doing a lot better than the 6% on the 480.

Back