Rust

nvgrim

[H]ard|Gawd
Who here plays Rust? It has turned into one of my favorite games over the past year or so and i am addicted. I played it during alpha and i hated it, but these past two years they have really been pumping out content and making the game so much better. I play solo or with a duo/trio. Ive played in a huge zerg before 8+ people and didnt like it, felt too easy and cheap so i stick to solo/duo/trio servers now.

I haven't played since alpha, back before the engine overhaul. I enjoyed it but stopped playing. I picked it up again after its release and I just kept getting killed so I quickly fell off from playing.

I haven't played since alpha, back before the engine overhaul. I enjoyed it but stopped playing. I picked it up again after its release and I just kept getting killed so I quickly fell off from playing.
Its definitely as buzzkill when you get immedialty killed when you spawn. What i usually do when im solo is run straight to the outpost and build near there to get a start base going and then plan out where i want to live. Ill just throw down a 1x2 with two furnaces and some storage. Dying though is an eventual part of the game and you will die and lose a full gear set or inventory at some point. If you are playing solo rust then i highly reccomend playing on a solo only or solo/duo server as you can get destroyed fast on the big boy servers like rustafied. I dont play on huge pop servers either, max of 150 people.

I'll have to give it a go soon, maybe this weekend as I've wrapped up a lot of other games.

I'll have to give it a go soon, maybe this weekend as I've wrapped up a lot of other games.
id definitely recommend looking at community or modded servers, modded especially if you dont have a ton of time to farm and just want a base up. 2x modded servers are nice, anything higher though and it feels like cheating not even rust.

I like the game, but I dont enjoy PVP at all, so its really a poor game for me. Unless they've added massive amounts of stuff, its pretty boring to play on a PvE server... I just dont have the skills and reactions needed to fight the players of games like this any more - 15 years ago probably, but not now.

I like the game, but I dont enjoy PVP at all, so its really a poor game for me. Unless they've added massive amounts of stuff, its pretty boring to play on a PvE server... I just dont have the skills and reactions needed to fight the players of games like this any more - 15 years ago probably, but not now.
Well the PvE in this game is kinda crap and the PvE servers with zombies get old real fast. Have you messed around with the electricty stuff? Its pretty in depth and you can make some cool circuts and base defense traps. I know the meta nowadays is rush to get to T3 bench on day 1 of wipe, but i dont really stick to the meta and play at my own pace. Yeah i wont get as far as most groups, but i still have fun playing. Usually will do this untill i get raided or the server pop dies before wipe days.

the naked game? people still play this?
Yeah? They release a big update the first Thursday of every month and they have been adding a ton of content. It actually hit its all time high of players not too long ago. Its not the same game as it was even 3-4 years ago. It has improved by a tenfold

Yeah? They release a big update the first Thursday of every month and they have been adding a ton of content. It actually hit its all time high of players not too long ago. Its not the same game as it was even 3-4 years ago. It has improved by a tenfold

alright you got me, ill put it on my wishlist and get it on its next sale. expect to see my genitals flopping on YOUR server soon!

Who here plays Rust? It has turned into one of my favorite games over the past year or so and i am addicted. I played it during alpha and i hated it, but these past two years they have really been pumping out content and making the game so much better. I play solo or with a duo/trio. Ive played in a huge zerg before 8+ people and didnt like it, felt too easy and cheap so i stick to solo/duo/trio servers now.
I may actually give this a go the next time it goes on sale if we are still in quarantine.

Watching stuff like this makes me worried about getting into this. I can see this being very time-consuming.

Last edited:

i'm in your boat. the last multiplayer fps i actually liked and excelled at was probably battlefield 1. i think i have something like 800 hours in rust now but don't play it much anymore as i'd rather chill out. had some good moments in it over the past three years but now the only multiplayer game i'm into is elite. all that said though rust is a great game. maybe my issue is simply being tired of being solo.

I only played back in OG rust, but pvp was dead simple, take your naked ass, run at them with a rock, if you win free gear, lose and nothing lost just respawn naked and repeat.

It was the hackers back then that ruined it for me.

Watching stuff like this makes me worried about getting into this. I can see this being very time-consuming.

Its a game where you can difnently spend some hours in. I just got farming and electricty down and i spend way too much time doing those than actual fighting.

Its a game where you can difnently spend some hours in. I just got farming and electricty down and i spend way too much time doing those than actual fighting.
Yeah, I still have not made the jump. Just think the learning curve will be too steep.

Yeah, I still have not made the jump. Just think the learning curve will be too steep.
I would join like a solo only noob server, those are usually low populated and dont have sweaty gamers on it that play 25 hrs a day. Thats what i did when i first learned, part of the fun for me was just figuring everything out. But youtube has some pretty good videos on the basics. Blooprint has a great series on tutorials

Haven't played in like 2-3 years. You basically needed to shit in a sock or be a huge group to be competitive on a major server but damn was it fun if you hit your stride.

Think one of my favorite wipes was when pumpjacks were utterly ridiculous, and we had control of a good area so stone was basically constantly coming in. Built up a cave base so large over a couple nights that I completely enveloped the entire thing - was completely impossible to tell it was a cave. Some group blew over 70 rockets on it before they got close enough to the cave that they saw a barrel spawn and realized they had fucked up. It was well over 100 rockets more to begin thinking about getting any loot, and that's if you got lucky and blasted in the right direction. It was basically unraidable, no single group could outpace me adding to the thing or even repairing it mid raid.

Also the time some major base decided 6969 would be a great code. One of us tried it when walking by - it worked. Easiest "raid" of my life. Don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

Haven't played in like 2-3 years. You basically needed to shit in a sock or be a huge group to be competitive on a major server but damn was it fun if you hit your stride.

Think one of my favorite wipes was when pumpjacks were utterly ridiculous, and we had control of a good area so stone was basically constantly coming in. Built up a cave base so large over a couple nights that I completely enveloped the entire thing - was completely impossible to tell it was a cave. Some group blew over 70 rockets on it before they got close enough to the cave that they saw a barrel spawn and realized they had fucked up. It was well over 100 rockets more to begin thinking about getting any loot, and that's if you got lucky and blasted in the right direction. It was basically unraidable, no single group could outpace me adding to the thing or even repairing it mid raid.

Also the time some major base decided 6969 would be a great code. One of us tried it when walking by - it worked. Easiest "raid" of my life. Don't know what the fuck they were thinking.
Game has changed a ton since then, turretts require electricty now which cuts down a ton on the spam and a bunch of other QoL updates. I usually play solo but on duo/trio servers.

Probably the best start guide I have seen for noobs. I am going to buy next time it drops to 50% off.

I went ahead and bought it myself. I'm sticking bamboo shoots under my finger nails to prepare, as I wait for the download.
Damn. I think my balls are over the next hill somewhere.

I went ahead and bought it myself. I'm sticking bamboo shoots under my finger nails to prepare, as I wait for the download.
Off to a good start on a server that "Softcore" that was none too nice. I am going to a server next time that does not wipe blueprints.

I had a couple days with time to burn.

1625097144112.png

1625096426045.png

Last edited:
Well, spent about 12 hours soloing and got a nice base down and was working my way through the tech tree. Woke up and my base was taken. Waaaaaa.

garage door is a key bp to get. slows down door raids by a lot

Been playing q bit this weekend and haven't had any real problems. I've been running around figuring things out and so far no one has bothered me. I've been killed by npcs and animals but not any real people. NVM got killed during my last session.

Last edited:
So I set up my own Rust server to get a feel for the game and just mess around without anyone trying to kill me. So far it's helped me figure out some of the basics of the game without reading a guide. The weird thing though is that I'm getting steam achievements. The server isn't public it's setup as a local host and yet I'm getting achievements. I've read that only official servers allow for achievements which seems true since when I was on a community server I didn't get any unlocks.

The game is as brutal as they say. I think most people playing this, in the real world, are chained to a wall with a ball gag in their mouth all while being whipped by a clown singing it's a wonderful world. Well that's at least what I've been doing. It makes it less painful when someone kills me and takes a my shit.

Last edited:
OK, got back in it tonight and wasted about 3 hours playing solo. Got my base down, all stone, finally got some metal doors on. Was not logging off till I got the doors done. Woohoo!

Going all out on my "2x1." And just realized that I exposed the soft side of some of the walls on my honeycomb. Oh well.

20210818153614_1.jpg20210818153642_1.jpg

if you're going to have a square airlock, you can use shop fronts as walls instead, they are strong and gives you a nice window.

Back