Running system without case, just the Motherboard questions

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Hey i am planning to setup a test system here without the case just the Mobo,CPU,RAM,GPU and PSU, Now what is the best way to power the system on, just use a screw driver to short the power pins?

I also remember seeing a button kit that you purchase for this exact same thing, they attach to the power/reset connectors on the motherboard and have a simple button on the top, i forget what they would be called, does anyone know what i am talking about or if newegg has them?

does anyone else use something like this or just short the connection with some metal?
Either the screw driver or the power button from an old and discarded case. Kind of a waste to spend $15 for something that a screw driver (which every PC builder should have by now) can do.

Make sure that you don't set the mobo on anything conductive or you will short it out.

Make sure that you don't set the mobo on anything conductive or you will short it out.

lol i know that, i have the motherboard sitting on the anti static bag it came in and ontop of the motherboard box.

lol i know that, i have the motherboard sitting on the anti static bag it came in and ontop of the motherboard box.

Umm, don't put it on top of that static bag. The bag will only protect what's inside of it from static, not what's on top of it.

You don't have to use a screw driver, you can use a tip of a pen or the side of it... and touch the positive pin of the PWR SW front panel connectors

You can also get a paperclip and with one end (doesn't matter) do the same.

Or as previously stated above use an old power button from an older case or discarded one.

You will be exposing yourself to EMF radiation, if you're already old enough 40+ and have kids and don't plan on anymore than it's "ok" in a sense but this will be bad for you in the long run despite your age (cancer)

You will be exposing yourself to EMF radiation

Umm.....having it outside of a case isn't going to greatly affect the amount of "radiation" you will be "exposed" to. Furthermore, electromagnetic radiation hasn't been scientifically shown to cause any adverse effects, even when due to high voltage transmission lines on the order of hundreds of thousands of volts. I think the 12VDC in your computer is negligible.

From my research, the only people concerned with EM radiation from computers are the people trying to sell you devices to "protect" you from it. I wouldn't lose any sleep over EM radiation - you'll die from a car wreck, heart disease, old age, or a toaster malfunction long before the EM from your computer causes anything to happen to you.

Sorry for the blunt tone - couldn't come up with a better way to word all of that.

You will be exposing yourself to EMF radiation, if you're already old enough 40+ and have kids and don't plan on anymore than it's "ok" in a sense but this will be bad for you in the long run despite your age (cancer)

You'll get more EMI from the power lines running into your house than you will from a computer sitting outside of a case. And it won't harm you at all.

yeah don't put it on there, static bags are electrically conductive so you will most likely short out the motherboard.

wow!, that MicroCool Banchetto 101 Clear Modular Case is Nice!, i would so get one but not for it's asking price! :(

Don't think so.....

I had my motherboard on a static bag for over two weeks waiting for my work station and nothing happen to it, played games, did the normal computer stuff.

Got this later....

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4782/74353984co9.jpg

The bag must be completely sealed, and then it will protect whatever is inside. Otherwise, it does nothing. However, it will also not harm anything either.

Back