Running several computers off of a few generators...

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend of mine is looking at hosting a lan in his garage, and for the time being, will be using a few generators to run it (2 3500 watts and 1 6500 watt). I've heard that using a pc on generator can be asking for trouble with the massive power surges possibly frying the motherboard and what not. Is this true? Would all I need is a surge protector to protect my pc from this? What about running 5 or 6 computers off of these, is that reasonable? I realize this is probably nothing to worry about, but I'm a little paranoid about frying anything ;) .

probably better to run extension cords from outlets

can see it now, you playing in a tounie and run out of gas and have to forfit first prize because the other person was on the other generator so he wins!!!!!

k1pp3r said:
probably better to run extension cords from outlets

can see it now, you playing in a tounie and run out of gas and have to forfit first prize because the other person was on the other generator so he wins!!!!!

edit: scratch that, I didn't read the entire post

Yeah, gas is something to worry about, but we'll have to deal with it untill we get power in the garage. However, these generators hopefully won't be major gas hogs (I'll have to talk to him about that).

A surge protector would be a good idea although the line noise if more of a problem than anything. Everyone better have some really nice PSUs in their boxes or you're likely to see a ton of crashes/lockups while playing. If you've done any oc'ing good luck. It's not only the surges that can cause problems but the sags. If you notice any power problems while the computer is hooked into a house outlet then you're in serious trouble when running off a generator.

You're still better off dragging a hundred feet of extension cord if possible.

putting a comp on a generator is bad news. A computer is pretty damn sensitive to even the smallest power surge, if your blasting this dirty power into a computer your just asking for trouble. It's not worth the risk if you ask me.

Some high end generators produce a clean enough signal, but I wouldn't trust it. The only solution to ensuring clean and continuous power from a generator is to place a UPS inline like this:

Generator --> UPS --> Computers

Just make sure you size the UPS(s) appropriately. ;)

I 2nd the extension cord ideas... find an outlet in your house that is close enough to the garage, and run a couple 100' extension cords from that. Then get 2 power strips, one per cord, and you'll have to deal the LAN with 12 outlets only...I wouldn't put any more power strips after the initial 2 though...

A surge protector isn't gonna do shit for noise and voltage variances. If you must use a generator, put a uninteruptable power supply between the generator and the PC's. It better be a big one for all of them, or you could use small one for each PC.

Running long extension cords would be an improvement, but make sure the cords are if a high guage of conductor, since a real long (50' or so) run of a crappy cheapo Wal-Mart cord will see a voltage drop under a load that several PC's would place on it.

If it were myself trying to do this, I would buy a roll of 12 guage romex and wire it to the service panel in the house and run it out to the garage on the ground to a board with some outlets on it. If you can't wire it to the service panel yourself, put a male plugin on it and plug it into an outlet close to the service panel that you know has a heavy wire to it and can handle the load. In some locations, the builing code for residental, this is all you have to do to run electricity from one builing to the other. They consider romex good enough and you don't need conduit. Just stick it in the ground a foot or so.

JSClark said:
you'll have to deal the LAN with 12 outlets only...I wouldn't put any more power strips after the initial 2 though...

make sure you don't power everything up at the same time either, you'll trip breakers :p
I've done something like this and it worked fine.

Back