Running 3Com gigabit switch in passive mode by jamming the fan..

wasserkool

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased a 16 port gigabit switch that is made by 3com. It is the managed switch here: http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CBLSG16

Unfortunately, it comes with 2 super loud sunon fan and there is no way I can disable it unless i open the switch which voids the warranty. Now, I can jam the fans by using various items. This switch will be used at home and in no way I will utilize the full switching capacity so i figure it should run pretty cool. From the spec sheet, the heat output is only 58watts/hour in maximum load. So do you guys think running this switch w/o fans will damage it?

Absolutely. If they didnt have to be running at those speeds during minimal load... they wouldn't be.

If you're worried about voiding your warranty, jamming the fans is another way to do that... void the warranty that is.

If you can, return it and get another switch. Jamming the fans will cause it to overheat.

This switch will be used at home

So why get an enterprise grade switch for home? Plenty of quiet fanless units out there.

Based on experience with the 3COM SS series...if the fans do not spin (either from jamming, or croaking as they often do)...the switch will lock up on you and get flakey. It runs hot hot hot regardless of load.

Jamming a fan isn't a good idea either...those motors can smoke if they meet resistance and keep trying to spin.

As others have stated, don't jam the fan. If you can't stand the noise, return the switch, eat the restocking fee and get another one that isn't as loud. The Netgear GS724T isn't very loud but it does have fans on it -- do you have a specific need for management in the house? If not, there are plenty of other wire-speed passively cooled switches out there to choose from.

Sell me that switch. I'm serious, and get yourself a home switch.

Yes, I'm serious, I'd like to buy it.

Speaking of "voiding warranty"....
Will trying this PoE do it?
:D
(gotta give credit to Marley for forwarding that link)
etherkiller.jpg

so you're saying thats not PoE... crap... I better call the office before they try to use those webcams in the parkinglot....

Bet you could REALLY crank up the output on some PoE WAPs though eh? Bump that DD-WRT up to 250...yeah baby!

Absolutely. If they didnt have to be running at those speeds during minimal load... they wouldn't be.

I don't suggest jamming them either, but BS on that. They, like any other company, picked that fan because it fulfilled their cooling needs (or better) and, perhaps more importantly, because it was cheap.

Perhaps Yate Loon put in a bid for quiet fans that would work fine, but they were a few cents more per fan.

I don't suggest jamming them either, but BS on that. They, like any other company, picked that fan because it fulfilled their cooling needs (or better) and, perhaps more importantly, because it was cheap.

Perhaps Yate Loon put in a bid for quiet fans that would work fine, but they were a few cents more per fan.

Server and high end switches were never be designed to be "cheap" nor were they designed to be "quiet". If you have owned one of these units before (I have 6 of them) then you'll know why the fans are there to begin with.

Server and high end switches were never be designed to be "cheap" nor were they designed to be "quiet". If you have owned one of these units before (I have 6 of them) then you'll know why the fans are there to begin with.

Doesn't matter. They still would choose a fan with more noise over a quiet fan that costs 5-10% more, even if both adequately cool.

Additionally and completely separately, they build these things to withstand much harsher environments that many of us would have them in at home. (Of course they would, though, since they are not meant to be used at home.)

Doesn't matter. They still would choose a fan with more noise over a quiet fan that costs 5-10% more, even if both adequately cool.

Additionally and completely separately, they build these things to withstand much harsher environments that many of us would have them in at home. (Of course they would, though, since they are not meant to be used at home.)

Noise isn't a concern for Enterprise grade hardware. Reliability on the other hand, is. There aren't quiet 40mm fans which can adequately cool this switch. The damn thing runs hot even actively cooled. This isn't some company conspiracy to save 30 cents on a $300 switch, its a switch designed for reliability first and foremost, not silence. It is what it is. Choose a switch which fits the role you intend to use it in next time.

Back