Rumor: AT&T Outbid Verizon for iPad Data Plan

Terpfen

Supreme [H]ardness
This is pretty interesting if true, especially for those complaining that the iPad's data plan costs too much.

While talk of a Verizon-capable iPad incorrectly persisted for months, it was AT&T's willingness to offer inexpensive no-contract data plans that sealed the deal with Apple, a new report claims.

Clayton Morris of FoxNews.com offered Wednesday what he called a "behind the scenes" look at talks between Apple and Verizon over the iPad and a potential CDMA-capable iPhone. Morris alleged that both companies are "still talking," despite the fact that Apple went out of its way to defend AT&T last week, and also introduced the wireless carrier as the sole 3G partner for the iPad in the U.S.

Morris has reported a number of Apple-related rumors in the last few months, but his level of accuracy thus far has been far from perfect.

Last month, Morris incorrectly reported that iPhone OS 4.0 and iLife 2010 were "confirmed" for Apple's iPad unveiling event. Apple instead introduced a multi-touch version of iWork for the iPad, and the device runs the unreleased iPhone OS 3.2.

Morris also previously alleged, in a separate report, that both Verizon and AT&T were engaged in last-minute talks to offer 3G data plans for the iPad. He claimed sources said Apple would release two versions of its touchscreen tablet: one CDMA and one GSM, to offer compatibility with both wireless providers.

If this is true, it makes me wonder what iPhone rate plans would cost should the phone ever make its way to Verizon. The grass might not be so green on the other side.

This is pretty interesting if true, especially for those complaining that the iPad's data plan costs too much.

If this is true, it makes me wonder what iPhone rate plans would cost should the phone ever make its way to Verizon. The grass might not be so green on the other side.

If Verizon and AT&T were in a bid for data pricing for the iPad, it still wouldn't make sense if/when the iPhone does in fact come out for Verizon, that they'd charge more. Normally, if you compare AT&T and Verizon pricing, it's pretty much on par in all aspects. Same went for the unlimited voice calling pricing a couple of weeks ago. One dropped to $69, and the other did the same within a day or so.

If Verizon is to get the iPhone, they realistically cannot expect to charge more than $29.99/mo for unlimited data. They're already pricing their DROID on par with the iPhone, so I don't see any discrepancies occurring, other than a lower price, if anything.

I don't buy it either.
The radio, the support for the SIM chip, is all very GSM oriented, which would not work on Verizon's network.

If they are reusing a lot of the components of the iPhone, it's already designed to work on GSM networks, protocol, frequencies, etc. Likely would have cost Apple more to switch carriers.

I think the key is "no contract" part at the same price as what the carriers are offering for the normal data plan with a contract.

Last week, when Apple introduced the iPad, it also announced no-contract data plans from AT&T, running $15 per month for 250MB of data, or $30 per month for unlimited access. The plans will also offer free access to AT&T's nationwide hotspots. Typically, cell phone companies charge $60 per month for their mobile data-only plans.

Back