RTX Space Invaders Wanted

I wonder if Kyle is going to cook them in an oven or something. Stranger things have worked before.

I would have thought that someone might have tried a reflow already, but I could be mistaken. When Kyle's got something to divulge I'm sure he'll let everyone know when the time's appropriate.

I wonder if Kyle is going to cook them in an oven or something. Stranger things have worked before.

Cooking video cards in an oven to recover them isn't strange at all. This is kind of how they were manufactured in the first place.

In wave-solder board manufacturing with surface components, first a trippy printer, prints a slightly tacky solder onto the board where it belongs, then a pick and place machine places all the surface mount components in place tacking them slightly to the sticky solder. Then the board goes through a heating process where the solder is flowed, and the components bond to the board.

The reason popping it in the oven under controlled circumstances sometimes works, is because often old video cards that die, do so because they have seen very many hot/cold cycles. Repeatedly heating up and cooling back down again causes thermal expansion and contraction, and can eventually crack because of this. If this is the cause of a video card failure, removing all plastic from the board and baking it in an oven at the solder reflow temp, can cause those cracks to heal, and you have a good GPU again, the same way the solder was flowed the first time on the wave solder manufacturing line.

So, not strange at all. Perfectly understandable.

here you go space invaders from RTX 2016

all you needed to do was a simple search, not sure why you needed a post for this.

Cooking video cards in an oven to recover them isn't strange at all.

We have a thread dedicated to it!

https://hardforum.com/threads/holy-crap-it-worked-dead-video-card-resurrected.1421792/page-42

I've done it with my old 8800GT way back in the day, worked for month or so, then the shit shit hit the fan yet again :( Replaced it with my current favorite desk ornament, my 9800GT :D

Funny to see them hanging out with each other....

20181214_203826.jpg

Gotta imagine the man has more up his sleeve then baking it, but then again, I'm not that much of a mad scientist.

Quick. I want a Turing MAME mod before this becomes history.
Still saying that you don't "accidentally" get those GFX. I swear it was an Easter Egg that went wrong whether Nvidia knew or not.

Last edited:
maybe he wants to x-ray the board or shave the die package down and examine it under an electron microscope.

Im out in Tempe, AZ. Ive been a long time lurker, use to have username Admiral_Ackbar6, but password reset didnt work so created a new account

Im out in Tempe, AZ. Ive been a long time lurker, use to have username Admiral_Ackbar6, but password reset didnt work so created a new account
I will fix that for you now, you will have to logout and log back in on your old account. Will send you a new PW on the email on the new account.

So there are a couple things I have to line up for getting the proper engineering evaluation done on the card that I want to do. Can you wait till Monday possibly on an answer? I will give you 99% chance that I will pay you your full purchase and shipping price for the card. Will do it PayPal gift or cut you a physical check.

And if possible, can you take it out of the machine now and not power it up again?

Sure. I'm actually flying out for work on Monday and will be back early the following week, so take your time. Just to give you a full background:

Built machine late last year. Bought a 1070 because prices and availability. Machine working fine
Decide a 1070 inst cutting it for an ultrawide setup, start waiting for a 20xx car to come in stock
2080tis come in stock, decide why not, one expensive hobby, pick up a card
Busy for a few weeks, so card doesn't get much stress. Mainly hooked up to my 4 monitor setup in the office, play a few older games for a couple hours. Have a slight issue with fan noise on spinup, contact EVGA, told fans do this as normal at low RPMs, recommend I set a fan profile to have fans always spin at at least 30%, so I make the fan profile
This weekend, decide to hook up PC to Bravia XBR75x900e TV. Open city skylines. Card runs for 10 minutes, then severe artifacting, system lockup, auto-reboot. System visible as normal through post and windows load-up, but black screen at login page
Start machine in safe mode, uninstall all nVidia software, reboot. Can log in again, install all drives, reboot. Looks OK now
Start city skyline, play for 15 minutes. No issues now. Close city skylines, open Grid 2. Second lap, first race, everything freezes up again with our cute little space invader artifacting. System reboots, same as last time through post and loading, then a black screen. Left computer on, automatically went into S3 sleep now, haven't touched since.

I can turn it off and pull the card now if you like, or go through the driver shenanigans and see if it happens again. Let me know if this sort of behavior is what you were looking for in a card.
I will take it. Can you drop it off at a UPS store and Next Day Air it to me today or Sunday for delivery on Monday? I will make sure you get fully reimbursed.

Thank you so much for the background on the usage. That could be very important.

I will PM you my details now.

Just curious Kyle, how many bad cards you have, minus your 2(? iirc)?
I sent my Space Invaders card back for RMA. A huge mistake on my part, but at the time, I was thinking that the problem was not going to be widespread. Also, we had to buy our FE test cards, and I needed working cards to test. Hindsight is 20/20.

My second failed card was fully evaluated by an engineering firm. We could never find anything wrong with it. I shipped it to them and it worked perfectly.....then it didn't....then it did again. We could not reproduce the failure I was seeing except one time, and then we could not build data on the failure after that because it started working perfectly again. I actually just got that card back, and shipped it back so I would not be charged for the RMA replacement.

I have not gotten any other Space Invaders cards to evaluate. I have had leads on three of those but people get cold feet about the whole thing, and I understand considering just how expensive these are, but no one has offered to sell me one till Admiral_Ackbar6 chimed in.

I hope you get to the bottom of this. I know that the majority of manufacturers would never release what the issues with a product are. But after this has dominated the PC space for the last few months, it would be great to finally know the cause.

If/when my Strix 2080TI goes I'll contact you. I've played hard with it including OC'ing to 2100mhz/14998Ghz all the while keeping settings so it never went above 62c. I recently did some fan changes in my case(HAF 932) and keeping it at stock OC settings but 60c or less. So far it's been a champ but if I see an invasion I'll let you know. Mine will be one were I can say I did push it.
It is good if it has not gone SI by now, most likely

Its interesting to me that this is EVGA. I haven't paid attention lately, but when this issue first reared its ugly head, I was under the impression that it primarily impacted Founders Edition cards. Looks like that wasn't the case.

I will be interested to see what the outcome of this analysis is. Either way though, I think it is too late to buy a 2080ti now. I have found that high end Nvidia GPU's only make sense if you guy them right at launch, so you can spread out the high cost over a longer time of enjoyment. I wanted to buy one to get some more 4K oomph, but I feel like at this point the quality issues Nvidia has been having with these has made me miss the optimal buying window. Will have to wait until next gen now.
From what I gather it is only reference PCBs which would include the FE from NVIDIA and the XC/XC2/Black cards from EVGA. The ASUS ROG STRIX uses a custom PCB including beefier power phases. I have read about emerging issues with the FTW3 from EVGA that uses a custom PCB, as well, but they don't seem related to the reference PCB issue.

For what it's worth I've been running my 2080 Ti FE for about 4 months now with hard gaming sessions and have not run into any issue. The card is also from the "feared" early production run having a 323 serial number.

Wondering if the issue is actual defects in the GPU silicon that Nvidia knew about, tested for, but even their testing produced odd results. So they rolled the dice with them just to have inventory to ship.

Kyle, not quite the space invaders you wanted but do have to wonder if a RTX was involved in rendering. :)

Kyle, what is their typical turn around time on such case ? (Given this card is considered a golden sample per say)
We're all very interested in the outcome :)

Edit: Can't say it enough, glad we have patreon and no NDA !! Keep it up !

Kyle, what is their typical turn around time on such case ? (Given this card is considered a golden sample per say)

If you are asking how long testing will take, I have no idea. We spent weeks with the last one.

Our Space Invaders card is undergoing thermal testing this weekend. Monday we will start memory and memory infrastructure testing. Getting thermal out of the way seemed like a good place to start.

Back