RTX Space Invaders Wanted

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Dec 13, 2018.

1. fuzzylogik

fuzzylogik Gawd

I'm still curious about this...

Dayaks likes this.
  2. Verado

Verado Limp Gawd

Yeah... Not like Kyle is working for a competitor any more.. So if he he got to the bottom of this maybe he could shed som light on the subject? ;)

3. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

I wonder if the real reason for the "Super" RTX releases was some rushed hardware revision. I didn't read all 8 pages of this TLDR so don't know if that was covered. Makes sense to me, and watch the normal RTX cards vanish from existence as if by magic...

4. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

Wasn't it was mostly the 2080 TI's, which aren't getting a super refresh, the ones that were dying off?

5. Daishi123

Daishi123 Limp Gawd

More than a few of the Titans were DOA.....

6. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

I bought a GB 2070 that had other problems, black screen. Lots of DOA with this release, not just space invaders.

7. Niner21

Niner21 Limp Gawd

I've had my RTX 2080Ti for a while now with no issues. Thought this was the first generation RTX cards?

8. DF-1

DF-1 2[H]4U

Is the 2080ti not a first generation card...?

9. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

There are plenty of people with no issues. The majority don't. It's weird that after 9 months nobody seemed to discover a pattern to the issues. Usually something can be tied back to a specific hardware lot, RAM manufacturer, fan type, or something.

10. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

The story is there, and has been there, just no journalists want to report on it.

11. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

And when you read about people being blacklisted (not just [H]) by Nvidia for reviews and the whole saga of GPP (you know the transparency thing) you are surprised that there is nothing on this?

12. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

It wouldn't necessarily even have to be an article. There's nothing substantiated on any forums or discussion sites either. It's pretty clear Nvidia isn't prowling forums (other than their own maybe) and purging posts about it. Tying this back to a specific lot would probably be better than some of the "they're all borked" posts that are around.

13. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

Well, you are a free agent these days....

Legendary Gamer and AceGoober like this.
  14. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

I wouldn’t exactly assume that to be the case. The other side of it is without hard proof a journalist could open themselves up to a case of libel if the company wanted to really be dicks about it.

Kyle has fought the good fight before and it’s nearly ruined him. And right now something we know for sure is that family is coming first.

15. Hagrid

Hagrid [H]ardForum Junkie

I did not see any they are all borked. I saw mostly that something is definitely wrong stories and it wasn't just a few people. That is why people saying theirs works, means nothing.
    You want to examine the people who are having a problem and try to see whats going on.

16. FrgMstr

Two of three 2080 Ti FE cards that I purchased failed. Also, the AIB RMA numbers that I uncovered were tremendously high compared to past return rates on AIB cards.

17. wizzi01

wizzi01 2[H]4U

It's pretty clear Nvidia is keeping the forums that don't want to be blacklisted in check. I can do hyperbole too.

18. FrgMstr

Let's leave all the hyperbole out of the conversation please.

AceGoober likes this.
  19. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

This would not be the first time something bad happened with Nvidia products and they where completely silent about it. They would probably fix it quietly in the background and say nothing....... The thing is, this should never have happened with such an expensive item but, they are hoping people will just forget it and move it, and it worked, I did not even remember this until the thread popped back up.

20. Hagrid

Hagrid [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, I remember. A few had the same experience as you did. Not good on a very expensive gpu.

Legendary Gamer and Darth Kyrie like this.
  21. Darth Kyrie

Darth Kyrie n00b

For some reason, stuff like this never affects nVidia's mindshare or marketshare. nVidia releases card killing drivers all is good, AMD releases drivers that are borked but release a new driver to fix the issue later in the same day or the next day, their drivers suck.

Legendary Gamer and N4CR like this.
  22. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

I have run a lot of AMD cards and their drivers do suck.

23. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

I have ran alot of amd cards and there drivers never give me any issues. But I run alot of odd configurations

N4CR likes this.
  24. TurboGLH

TurboGLH Gawd

Like everything subjective, it's s useless argument. But, I've had way worse luck with Nvidia driver's than I've had with AMD.

N4CR, Ranulfo and Darth Kyrie like this.
  25. Darth Kyrie

Darth Kyrie n00b

Same here, I have bought only 2 nVidia cards in my life. 1 was amazing and 1 was killed by a bad driver. Never had any issues with ATi or AMD drivers.

alxlwson likes this.
  26. Niner21

Niner21 Limp Gawd

I used to use "Omega drivers" (I believe that is what they were called back then) on my AMD cards and never had an issue. I've stuck with Nvidia for a while now since I had a bad experience with one of the AMD cards so I got a GTX 480 then and haven't looked back. Always like the older AMD cards (ATI X800 and 9700 pro comes to mind.)

Algrim and alxlwson like this.
  27. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks to Kyle's reviews and posts I learned the tricks to OC my GPU's. I've OC'd the heck out of this one and also made numerous fan mods to my case. My Strix 2080TI doesn't go above 64c with core clocks hanging 2040-2130MHZ(depending on temps) and 15008MHZ memclocks. Not a single space invader since I started OC'ing it in January.

BTW Thanks Kyle 'cause it really helped unleash some needed extra oomph for 4k/RT stuff and totally kicking but at 1440p.

Chimpee, FrgMstr and AceGoober like this.