RTX 4080: Countdown To Second-Best™

Shocking not a soul in this thread, Gamers Nexus absolutely buried this card.

Reminds me a lot of the Turing launch. Conditions were almost identical as well. 1 for 1 performance increase per dollar, entering a crypto bust cycle after a recent boom.

We have had alot of solid cards at this $500-700 range price point since the 1080ti. Turing didn't innovate enough, because no one cared enough about RT (and the rasterization performance was underwhelming). I still haven't enabled RT once on my cards (had 2070, 3080, 4090)

Wonder if the 4060 will be priced in the old 1080ti range? NV will try to match performance with a 3080, sell for the same MSRP, and consumers get some new numbers on the box.

We have had alot of solid cards at this $500-700 range price point since the 1080ti. Turing didn't innovate enough, because no one cared enough about RT. I still haven't enabled RT once on my cards.

Wonder if the 4060 will be priced in the old 1080ti range? NV will try to match performance with a 3080, sell for the same MSRP, and consumers get some new numbers on the box.
I have no doubt in my mind the 4060 will be alteast 500 dollars. MSRP of the 3060 ti was 400, clearly consumers got too nice a deal there, need to bump that one up to about 700

Well, considering the TUF was limited power wise( 2 x 8 pin vs 3 x 8 pin) you could squeeze a good bit more out of the strix.

Sure, but did that yield a significant performance difference? I wasn’t able to try it out personally, but every review I read on the subject indicated that the performance benefits derived from overclocking Ampere were underwhelming, meaning even with the extra power, you wouldn’t be able to get much out of pushing the card further.

I just got an email from microcenter saying they're opening early to sell 4080s today. I'll wait until 7000 series launches.

Performance looks good for what I want, but it is funny to see all of the graphs and see my 3090 up near the top, too. At this point I think I'm just going to sit on my current rig for a while. Rather than force a build, I'm going to wait for new power supplies and for a PCIE 5 drive to at least be available. Card-wise, I'm gonna skip this generation and at least wait for a Ti version.

Was up super early to watch the NASA moon rocket launch, so I checked out Best Buy and Microcenter websites early this morning just to see if the RTX 4080 was up for sale yet. It said "coming soon" at 2am, and even at 6am still "coming soon" I checked once more before I walked the dogs at 7:45am still "coming soon", back at 8:15am it now states "sold out" "Unavailable"

WTF did they have just a hundred cards up for sale today? Not that I really would've been a dumb chump an actually give greedVidia my money for an overpriced card that should be selling for no more than $899, but still shocked it's sold out already.

Was up super early to watch the NASA moon rocket launch, so I checked out Best Buy and Microcenter websites early this morning just to see if the RTX 4080 was up for sale yet. It said "coming soon" at 2am, and even at 6am still "coming soon" I checked once more before I walked the dogs at 7:45am still "coming soon", back at 8:15am it now states "sold out" "Unavailable"

WTF did they have just a hundred cards up for sale today? Not that I really would've been a dumb chump an actually give greedVidia my money for an overpriced card that should be selling for no more than $899, but still shocked it's sold out already.
Newegg has a ton in stock right now

Damn looks like people aren't going after it like crazy after all. Been in stock for almost 20+
mins lmao.

Damn looks like people aren't going after it like crazy after all. Been in stock for almost 20+
mins lmao.
They priced it too high. With it priced the way it is that is in the same ballpark as a 4090 which crushes it. Also AMD's 7900xtx beats it and it is $200 cheaper. 4080 is dead on arrival unless they cut the price by at least $200.

They priced it too high. With it priced the way it is that is in the same ballpark as a 4090 which crushes it. Also AMD's 7900xtx beats it and it is $200 cheaper. 4080 is dead on arrival unless they cut the price by at least $200.
I'll admit that I'd consider buying it if it was $1k. I'd probably still wait for reviews of AMD's cards but it would be tempting. At $1200+ it's not.

With some of the 4080 cards being in the $1300 to $1400 range, just get the 4090 for $1599. And get a good 30% performance boost.

Edit: snagged a Zotac 4080 with ease
3desgfY.png

Yeah, i'm surprisingly seeing a few models still available on Newegg. Usually, these would be gone within seconds. I think the scalpers realize there isn't any value here.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=4080+nvidia

Scalpers keep all the cards until they become outdated. That is why Scalpers are scum then they scalp Motherboards but just MSI and Asus and only Asus on Amazon cause they hang out there with fake Storefronts. Then Ram scalpers they jack the price up 40.00 hoping nobody will notice.
RAM is made by a cartel of a few companies and they're periodically fined for price fixing. I've never seen anyone scalp RAM before.

As for GPU prices, there's multiple industries now vying for the same supply and it all comes from 1-2 places, so until that's fixed I don't see things getting much better. And even if the supply ramps up, the demand for current gen stuff is pretty insatiable by datacenters & miners (well not so much miners anymore) so buying 1 gen old stuff for a steep discount might be best. A $500-600 6900xt slots in pretty well in the price lineup with a $1000 7900xtx and you can get a lot of power right now for not that much as long as you buy last gen stuff.

Yeah, i'm surprisingly seeing a few models still available on Newegg. Usually, these would be gone within seconds. I think the scalpers realize there isn't any value here.

Good point, so a scalper tries to sell a $1200 4080 card for $1700, uh, the buyer will then just get a 4090 instead, and tell the demon scalper to F off

Well, whatever, i'm a chump, but I ordered one since for the first time since COVID I could actually add a new card to my cart and order it.

Will put the 3080ti in the wife's system.

Well, whatever, i'm a chump, but I ordered one since for the first time since COVID I could actually add a new card to my cart and order it.

Will put the 3080ti in the wife's system.

A 3080 Ti is an excellent card still today. Curious what resolution monitor do you game with?

I have a 3080 10GB and the 4080 is anywhere from 30% to 50% faster which is an ok bump in performance, but my threshold has always been it needs to be bare minimum 50% faster at least, preferably 75% to make it a worthwhile noticable upgrade.

3080 Ti to 4080 is what 25% to 40% faster? I just can't justify dropping $1200+ on a minimal upgrade like that.

It seems there's been trend for a couple generations now where the price/performance of a new card matches the price performance of the outgoing gen's cards.

So, not only are "tiers" getting more expensive, but so are the $/frame.

In short, today's $400 video card isn't blowing the doors off a 6 year old card.

Well, I thought I wanted it, but I realized this thing doesn't support DP 2.0 - So I cancelled it. My purpose here was to give my wife a decent card, and for me to future proof a bit, but without DP2.0, I really can't justify this.

Kind of shocked nvidia didn't put DP 2.0 on these cards given their level of performance. There is basically zero future proofing here.

Well, I thought I wanted it, but I realized this thing doesn't support DP 2.0 - So I cancelled it. My purpose here was to give my wife a decent card, and for me to future proof a bit, but without DP2.0, I really can't justify this.

Kind of shocked nvidia didn't put DP 2.0 on these cards given their level of performance. There is basically zero future proofing here.
Seems like two wins to me.

Back