RTX 3xxx performance speculation

why are they releasing the 3080 1 week ahead of the 3090?...I would think the higher tier card would get released first but I guess Jensen knows the 3090 is a very niche product

why are they releasing the 3080 1 week ahead of the 3090?...I would think the higher tier card would get released first but I guess Jensen knows the 3090 is a very niche product
Yields and that’s going to be their biggest seller right now.

I love Digital Foundry, but that seems...underhanded.

Reviewer x: The 3080 get 61 fps in Borderlands (NDA violation!!)

DF: The 3080 does 80% better than the 2080 which only gets 34 fps (good to go!)

Digital Foundry has built up a big reputation so they do get exclusive access to stuff that other sites don't. Like they got the big exclusives on console specs as well. Is that fair? Debatable. Informative and helpful to viewers? Yes.

Going to be VERY limited allocation on the 3090 GPUs. I would suggest 10X less than 3080 allocations.

Digital Foundry has built up a big reputation so they do get exclusive access to stuff that other sites don't. Like they got the big exclusives on console specs as well. Is that fair? Debatable. Informative and helpful to viewers? Yes.

Their reputation is well founded.
Their analysis are very good, in-depth and a step up over most run-of-the-mill reviews out there today.

Well the good news for me is it looks like there is finally a single card solution that can outperform my SLI 1080ti's.

Nothing pushing me to replace them ASAP so I'll wait and see what the 3090 clocks in at.

Reactions: noko
like this
how much more expensive is the 3080 20GB going to cost over the standard 10GB version?

Going to be VERY limited allocation on the 3090 GPUs. I would suggest 10X less than 3080 allocations.

Consequently there is going to be very limited demand - hopefully even less of a demand for 3090 than supply (compared to 3080). I see no other option but to go with 3090 to drive my 48" OLED 4K 120hz. Going from 11 gigs on 1080 Ti to 10 gigs on 3080 seems a step down especially in few years from now. Its as if they purposely did this to attract 1080 Ti users who want no comprise 4K performance and are not willing to gamble on memory. We could always wait for 3080 Ti - but I am not a very patient person when it comes to cool new tech that I can use now....

Better than what was expected I guess the the reaction of the stock market right now:
1598988249923.png

Jesus people I wasn't trying to bash DF, and I thought I made that clear.

I am just trying to understand the concept here and I very much doubt that DF had an exception to break NDA as one suggested.

If nobody else thought "hey, the gpu x is 50% faster than gpu y and gpu y gets 60 fps. We didn't actually say gpu x's fps so..." well then good on them.

I very much doubt that is the case though.

Jesus people I wasn't trying to bash DF, and I thought I made that clear.

I am just trying to understand the concept here and I very much doubt that DF had an exception to break NDA as one suggested.

If nobody else thought "hey, the gpu x is 50% faster than gpu y and gpu y gets 60 fps. We didn't actually say gpu x's fps so..." well then good on them.

I very much doubt that is the case though.

Ahh no problem. Maybe you didn't have a chance to watch the video. They mentioned having a limited number of games to choose from for testing as part of an agreement with NVIDIA for the early content. It wasn't just the % thing--it was that and some other limitations. It certainty wasn't a "haha we are going to break NDA by a clever trick" kind of thing that I interpreted your post to imply.

People who are getting the 3090, what monitor are you connecting to these things?

Just curious.
LG 38GL950 - 3840*1600 at 165hz makes my 1080Ti its bitch (pretty much the same as 4k120 in terms of rendering needs)

Very interested to see if I can get the EVGA Hydro Copper version of one, but experience tells me that they’ll be impossible to get hold of outside the US for a long time

no one's talking about the elephant in the room...Nvidia priced the 3080 and 3070 so competitively because Big Navi is the real deal and they are concerned
Is that why they did that? I remember nvidia saying a while back that prices were going to be less. This was before anyone knew about big navi.

Consequently there is going to be very limited demand
I will suggest the 3090 is very likely going to be considered a paper launch for quite a while.

So are you the NDA police? Does it fall on you to enforce the NDA? Have you read the NDA that DF has with NVIDIA? What exactly does it say?

no one's talking about the elephant in the room...Nvidia priced the 3080 and 3070 so competitively because Big Navi is the real deal and they are concerned
I would suggest that is VERY MUCH something to that.

If you ask me, any prices that are low with that performance is a win for the consumer. That is if the performance is actually what Nvidia says. That to me is the elephant in the room. That they say, and what the actual performance is could be it two totally different things.

Or it's possible that Samsung's 8nm process is cheaper than TSMC's 7nm.

Remember back to when Nvidia released the GTX 260, 270, and 280, with the GTX 260 having a starting price of $450. Very shortly after that, AMD/ATI released the HD 4870, which shat all over the GTX 260 and cost $299. Nvidia was forced to wipe the egg off their face and make an immediate price adjustment to remain competitive.

It's possible they're trying to avoid that situation again, so instead of pricing the cards high and hoping nothing happens, they price the cards competitively and reap the benefits of more people being able to afford their products, thus moving more inventory.

If you ask me, any prices that are low with that performance is a win for the consumer. That is if the performance is actually what Nvidia says. That to me is the elephant in the room. That they say, and what the actual performance is could be it two totally different things.

Digital Foundry basically told you the performance increase...

I would suggest that is VERY MUCH something to that.
This is 100% my take.

I’ve been openly holding my amd stock only because I had a feeling (and I rarely invest based on feelings) that AMD might be back in the game on the GPU side which would crank the share price

I’m pretty sure Nv coming in at these prices is leading indicator of my hunch being right.

This is 100% my take.

I’ve been openly holding my amd stock only because I had a feeling (and I rarely invest based on feelings) that AMD might be back in the game on the GPU side which would crank the share price

I’m pretty sure Nv coming in at these prices is leading indicator of my hunch being right.

I mean when Digital Foundry showed a console APU matching a 2080 or 2080S... it was pretty obvious that this generation of dedicated GPUs was going to be good. Doesn't take an NVIDIA engineer to extrapolate out from those numbers with the core counts on the XBOX and PS4 already released and rough performance known.

Cool. Hybrid Model & KINGPIN model confirmed (both AIO's). I wonder if the Hybrid will have a 240mm AIO this generation due to the extra heat this time. Only the KINGPIN had the 240mm AIO last time and the Hybrid's have always been 120mm.

I personally don't like KINGPIN models. They generally release at the very end of the products life cycle (sometimes within I thinkweeks or months) until the next gen card. AKA I wouldn't wait on it. Get something cheap like a Founders Edition for now and maybe down the line upgrade to a KINGPIN if you must absolutely have the best of the best.
240mm is the standard now and Kingpin is 360mm per Jacob @ EVGA

Last edited:
I doubt any whining on any forums changed the price one bit.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I did not mean people complaining on forums, there are many forms for people to complain against a product. I was thinking of the vast amount of people with Pascal cards that saw the new RTX range and thought, meh, barely any DXR games at this point, no rush. There's a lot of us in that category. Now that DXR is actually picking up steam, the value offer is much more interesting, as long as they don't rise prices like crazy. Nvidia need consumers using DXR after all, as it becomes a mainstream thing, so if it's only available to the expensive range of GPUs, it's counterproductive for them to raise prices this time around.

Just remember, the GTX 1080 Ti launched @ $699 with 11GB memory.
Unfortunately, if you think about it logically, we're going backwards.

You're not wrong. I think it could've been worse though. We could have had the x80 for 800, the x70 for 600, and the x60 might become a $500 card. I wouldn't put it past Nvidia to claim that the performance jumps this year commanded $100 extra per range - nevermind they've had 2 years and a die shrink to improve things. AMD must really have something interesting in 2020 if Nvidia didn't feel they could get away with it.

Well, It seems that NV provided me with a solid 4k 60fps option, with RTX, for a decent price so at this stage I couldnt care less about what AMD cooks up :)

3080 FE will fit my Fractal Nano S nicely too. And the cooling looks good for a smaller case situation, at least from what I can tell.

looking forward to reviews, not that I think they will change my mind much.

I mean when Digital Foundry showed a console APU matching a 2080 or 2080S... it was pretty obvious that this generation of dedicated GPUs was going to be good. Doesn't take an NVIDIA engineer to extrapolate out from those numbers with the core counts on the XBOX and PS4 already released and rough performance known.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I’m Nostradamus. I’m just, for once, getting to grin like an idiot.

The only thing that would make me happier on amd than them getting back in the gpu game would be cuda support.

Only time I’ve actively recommended a stock in my life and my intel was almost all because of the Ryzen rumours on the [H] in 2017

flip side, I sold my nvidia shares in Feb as I’ve been waiting for a covid tank that never really took hold. Doh.

Not sure I follow. Extrapolating performance for the consoles doesn't indicate what big navi will end up being. More importantly, it doesn't indicate price at all for AMD.

Yeah. I am sure they are quaking in their boots. ;)

It's pretty simple to look at 5700XT and extrapolate what AMD could do with that on a bigger die, and then box them in with performance and pricing.

I don't see it so much as worried, as it is laughing manically while they cut off AMDs oxygen supply. :D

Yeah. I am sure they are quaking in their boots. ;)

It's pretty simple to look at 5700XT and extrapolate what AMD could do with that on a bigger die, and then box them in with performance and pricing.

I don't see it so much worried, as laughing manically while they cut off AMDs oxygen supply. :D

the 5700XT was never intended to compete in the high end...Big Navi is supposed to be the first AMD GPU to do that since the ATI days...if anything AMD might be purposely holding back details

This is 100% my take.

Reminds me.. I bought AMD and Nvidia very early 2k. Think I've done well on both.

the 5700XT was never intended to compete in the high end...Big Navi is supposed to be the first AMD GPU to do that since the ATI days...

But it is looking grim for the 5700xt now as well. If the 3070 is $500, that means all of the last gen prices will soon drop as well. No doubt we will see 2070 Supers for close to $300. We could expect the 3060 to be close to that price and performance after everything we have seen today.

Back