RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Hard to imagine nVidia would take a big haircut on their gross margins, so they must have really pushed down the fab cost of these gigantic chips.

Though nowhere near the golden age of Moore's Law, this still is a pleasant uptick. I'm looking forward to moving up from my GTX1080.

I'll be pairing one with my 6 year old 700W.

I recently bought a 750w, still un-opened in the box and was debating returning it and getting the 850w...although 750 should be more then fine...building out my specs on PCPartPicker shows 554w total wattage...so even with an extra 100w headroom it's only 654w total

Reviews will tell, but I'm pretty certain all these "Faster than 2080Ti" or "2x faster" claims are more or less RTX only/DLSS only specific scenarios (which to this day, is only a handful of games). I'm sure the raw performance is great, but probably nowhere near what Nvidia is claiming for the 99.9% of other games out there.

damn... I didn't see that... so I guess the rumors of the 3090 having 5200 shaders were wrong. My 2080ti just lost all it's resale value in 24hrs... that's brutal... 5888 cuda cores for a 3070. I need to sit down lol

take it you haven't been around gpu launches much? pc parts dont hold resell value. You should of sold your card a week or two weeks ago. waiting till after announcement is the stupidest thing to do when it comes to selling a GPU.

i have a 2080ti as well but i planned on giving it to the kid so this doesn't effect me too much.

Real benchmarks would be nice from honest reviewers. The shaders can do 2x operations per clock vice 1x of Turning -> Does anyone actually believe there are an actual 10496 Cuda Cores in the 3090? :D or 8704 in the 3080? Marketing numbers at best.

Anyways that should a huge, major improvement for rasterization unless tuned more for RT type compute loads. Pricing, specs for the 3070 and 3080 look outstanding, love Nvidia competitive hit. Performance increase greater than Pascal -> if in general that is true this is going to be a great generation. Now who really cares if it is on Samsung or TSMC?

Ampere.png

2080 Ti has 4352 CUDA cores
3070 has 5888 CUDA cores

As long as core performance didn't go backwards, they're right. The 3070 will indeed be faster than a 2080 Ti.

Let's not forget about bandwidth. In some scenarios it will be faster, but for others, namely ultra high textures and open worlds, it will most likely be slower.

Let's not forget about bandwidth. In some scenarios it will be faster, but for others, namely ultra high textures and open worlds, it will most likely be slower.
Are there no improvements to compression on Ampere? That might make up for the lack of bandwidth.

He basically said showing relative % performance doesn't violate NDA.

I love Digital Foundry, but that seems...underhanded.

Reviewer x: The 3080 get 61 fps in Borderlands (NDA violation!!)

DF: The 3080 does 80% better than the 2080 which only gets 34 fps (good to go!)

Reactions: noko
like this
Well I was set on getting the highest end card with a goal of 3x speed from my 1070Ti. Using some quick napkin math looks like the the 3080 is around 40-44% faster in raterization than 2080Ti and since the 2080Ti is about 80% faster than my 1070Ti that is about 2.7x. I will upgrade whole system from i5-8400 so looks like 3080 based new system will roughly be 3X. Still waiting on big Navi. Price points suggest that the Top end AMD part will be faster than 3080 but they expect it to be more expensive.

Cool. Hybrid Model & KINGPIN model confirmed (both AIO's). I wonder if the Hybrid will have a 240mm AIO this generation due to the extra heat this time. Only the KINGPIN had the 240mm AIO last time and the Hybrid's have always been 120mm.

I personally don't like KINGPIN models. They generally release at the very end of the products life cycle (sometimes within weeks or months) until the next gen card. AKA I wouldn't wait on it. Get something cheap like a Founders Edition for now and maybe down the line upgrade to a KINGPIN if you must absolutely have the best of the best.

Does the 3090 offer additional feature content not present in the 3080 e.g. 8k HDR, or is it simply the added horsepower making said features practical?

I hope this is as good as it sounds. Maxwell to Pascal was amazing, and this seems like it could be a bit better.

Haven't seen any preorders up yet, hopefully we get the option to preorder, I don't like competing with bots.

Does the 3090 offer additional feature content not present in the 3080 e.g. 8k HDR, or it it simply the added horsepower making said features practical?
The 24GB VRAM is what I think makes 8k possible. Beyond that, I think the feature content is the same.

I hope this is as good as it sounds. Maxwell to Pascal was amazing, and this seems like it could be a bit better.

Haven't seen any preorders up yet, hopefully we get the option to preorder, I don't like competing with bots.
nv rep on reddit claims no preorders.

I am guessing reviewers will be getting cards this week and NDA be up end of next week.
Digital Foundary already has a review up now
Real work improvements 2080 to 3080 in all games tested = 170% - 200%

Back