RTX 30 Laptops

Wiz33

Gawd
My low wattage 3070 is awesome in QHD 165Hz. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to 1080p laptops.

Yea, I went with the Aorus 15G XC with FHD for the same reason but I'm older so 1440 on a 15" would be hard on my eyes so I stayed with 1080 and a 4.4lbs package.

trasixes

Gawd
Depends on your use case. I want thin & light and a sub $2k price with AMD CPU/NVIDIA GPU. Not everyone wants the big laptops.
Very true - entirely depends on use case. Max-Q are typically more portable, while Max-P are usually better suited for desktop replacements. Really though, I mostly wanted to use that singular-boobed hooker line :D

trasixes

Gawd
Look at the up coming legion 7 pro the 2021 models

I've got my eye on it. It appears Lenovo's 2021 series gaming laptops all use 16"? Not an insignificant difference, but I'm quickly realizing I'm going to have to compromise somewhere.

• The Strix 17 doesn't have a mux switch, so I take a performance hit since I don't use an external monitor. Also, no option for QHD.
  • Lenovo models are 16", but offer great performance, and tick every other box.
  • MSI are tricky, so many models, not a lot of real world feedback, and Intel only for now.
  • Razer/Alienware seem overpriced, but have good offerings

My revised list of desired specs:

• 17.3" QHD screen (I want a bigger screen, and I hear 17" generally have better cooling?)
  • AMD 5900HX OR Intel 11th gen (I hear the Intel can be undervolted to reduce thermals?)
  • RTX 3070 130w or better (or maybe 3080 if the price is right, and all other specs line up)
  • Mux switch
  • 2 RAM slots. Soldered RAM is another point of failure, and was just an awful idea.
  • RGB would be nice, but not required. Prefer a full keyboard with numpad.

It's amazing how easy this would be if 17" wasn't such a sticking point for me. The Legion 5 Pro would be the obvious choice (Legion 7 isn't available yet).

Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got my eye on it. It appears Lenovo's 2021 series gaming laptops all use 16"? Not an insignificant difference, but I'm quickly realizing I'm going to have to compromise somewhere.

• The Strix 17 doesn't have a mux switch, so I take a performance hit since I don't use an external monitor. Also, no option for QHD.
  • Lenovo models are 16", but offer great performance, and tick every other box.
  • MSI are tricky, so many models, not a lot of real world feedback, and Intel only for now.
  • Razer/Alienware seem overpriced, but have good offerings

My revised list of desired specs:

• 17.3" QHD screen (I want a bigger screen, and I hear 17" generally have better cooling?)
  • AMD 5900HX OR Intel 11th gen (I hear the Intel can be undervolted to reduce thermals?)
  • RTX 3070 130w or better (or maybe 3080 if the price is right, and all other specs line up)
  • Mux switch
  • 2 RAM slots. Soldered RAM is another point of failure, and was just an awful idea.
  • RGB would be nice, but not required. Prefer a full keyboard with numpad.

It's amazing how easy this would be if 17" wasn't such a sticking point for me. The Legion 5 Pro would be the obvious choice (Legion 7 isn't available yet).
If you need a bigger screen... External for you when your docked? I am assuming your buying this due to the need to be portable?

trasixes

Gawd
If you need a bigger screen... External for you when your docked? I am assuming your buying this due to the need to be portable?
Doesn't need to be portable - it will essentially be stationary - but I cannot use external either. I simply don't have the space for even a small external, unfortunately.