RROD on Launch day 360 Fixed again...

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
I have not really used this for a long time and even sitting idle it managed to kill itself. But I took it apart and did a ghetto-reflow job on it and it works great again!

If anyone has not done this there are a few different ways it can be done with varying degrees of success.

I had already done the xclamp fix several years ago and that worked well. In that first fix I just wrapped the system and let it overheat to "reflow" it. While it did work I noticed occasional lockups.

This time around I used a butane torch from Harbor Freight (7.99) and heated the actual heat sinks themselves. Tried this twice, being careful to apply the heat even and keep the torch moving. At first it seemed to work, but then I got the RROD after a few mintues again.

Then I did the same on the flip side. Apparantly this was where the problem was because after doing this, tightening up the heat sink screws and then applying the heat to the back and front again it worked great.

My case is pretty trashed from opening and reopening it again and again, I may look to get a replacement case.

Funny thing is, the only reason I wanted to bring it back to life was so I could use it for NETFLIX, turns out you have to pay for Gold Live Membership if you want your netflix on the 360 which I wont do. Oh well. At least I can play PGR and GOW again.

Yeah have to have Gold XBL to play Netflix or Hulu. PS3 is free if you're interested in that route. Wii is too but you're limited to 480p since the Wii is incapable of HD.

I wouldn't invest too much more into that console (like new case) as re-flows are usually only temporary, be it a week or a month+.

The fact you already tried the "towel trick" tells me you may not have much time left with that console either way. Overheating the console like that can harm other components and cause the existing solder to be susceptible to more breakage (solder can become more brittle easily).

That said, good work on the second re-flow and enjoy the crap out of it while you can. :p

I wouldn't invest too much more into that console (like new case) as re-flows are usually only temporary, be it a week or a month+.

The fact you already tried the "towel trick" tells me you may not have much time left with that console either way. Overheating the console like that can harm other components and cause the existing solder to be susceptible to more breakage (solder can become more brittle easily).

That said, good work on the second re-flow and enjoy the crap out of it while you can. :p

My reflow was only about 2 weeks. Tossed that pile of crap and got a great deal on a Xbox slim from a college kid who got it free with his laptop. Put my old 20gb HDD into the new Xbox, boom, back online killing 12 year olds again.
The old consoles are ticking time bombs. Mine lasted like 5 years.

I may forego the case altogether and live with a frankenbox.
As long as the ghetto-reflow keeps working I will keep trying it.
I am using the xbox again and playing "Burnout Revenge" Holy crap what a great game.

Sent the first one back and they fixed it, when that one failed done the reflow and then towel trick. when they failed replaced it with a new xbox....Problem solved.

I just replaced the clamps with bolts and washes and fixed my launch consoles rrod. Its been running solid for 6 months now with no issues. Of course now its my portable xbox with an attached screen and case. Got a used slim for $70 lol

replace the console with a new one and transfer you hdd followed by your license online

Back