Router with Parental Controls.

Ramirez_nz

n00b
Hi,

I trying to get my kids off-line and need some suggestions for a wireless router that has some easy to use parental controls either via an app or web page. Most web sites seem to mention that their router has it as a feature but they lack any kind of detail on how it works and to what extent the system controls access.

Many Thanks
Roddy

most routers have this, if you don't mind sharing what is your current router? You may have already have some.

In addition there is this post

I currently have a ISP supplied Netcomm NF18ACV which I've struggled with. As far as I can tell it only has a basic mac filter. I'm hoping something more intuitive so my wife can also change things

Asus and netgear are the top two routers just about all of them have better controls than the ISP crap they give us.

I picked up a fleabay mini tower, dropped a 4 port NIC into it and went with Untangle, swapped out a USG Pro4, very much worth the upgrade. Total cost: $130 with Home Pro license of Untangle.

Within the first 15 minutes of setting it up, I noticed one of the kids was using Bittorrent and appearing infected. So, it paid for itself that fast IMO. Cause the USG showed no signs of giving a shit about
the traffic in and out, even with IDS/IPS on.

Last edited:
I currently have a ISP supplied Netcomm NF18ACV which I've struggled with. As far as I can tell it only has a basic mac filter. I'm hoping something more intuitive so my wife can also change things
The routers the ISP's give you are generally garbage, it'd be worth to buy your own(if supported by your ISP, not all ISP's work with all routers), but you're correct in saying that it is based off the MAC address, it does also have a URL blacklist/whitelist which you can set for specific times, but it definitely needs improvement, while you're looking here is the parental control instructions for your current router. https://support.netcommwireless.com/sites/default/files/NF18ACV-Parental-Control-Setup-Guide.pdf

OpenDNS as well for good ways to block traffic in general you do not want them accessing.

Pfsense, with a firewall rule forcing the dns of your choice. That's what I run, done.

Back