Router to Router to PC

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently, I have a Netgear router broadcasting a wireless signal to my home. I have a desktop computer in my conservatory that is using this wireless signal for an Internet connection via a USB wireless dongle. The problem is, the Internet sometimes hangs or responds slowly, while other times it is fast. I think it's because the signal is weak (around 20-30% according to my smartphone). I want to boost the signal in the conservatory using a second identical Netgear router that I have.

I would like Netgear Router 1 (that's broadcasting the Internet connection) to send a signal to Netgear Router 2. I'd then want the conservatory PC to grab the boosted Internet connection from Netgear Router 2 so it has a much more stronger signal (like a repeater). I can see two ways of doing this but how I'd set this up I do not know.

1) Router 2 connects to PC via Ethernet cable
2) Router 2 connects to PC via the USB wireless dongle.

Can anyone help? I am not interested in buying more equipment and I am a complete network noob :)

Last edited:
Currently, I have a Netgear router broadcasting a wireless signal to my home. I have a desktop computer in my conservatory that is using this wireless signal for an Internet connection via a USB wireless dongle. The problem is, the Internet sometimes hangs or responds slowly, while other times it is fast. I think it's because the signal is weak (around 20-30% according to my smartphone). I want to boost the signal in the conservatory using a second identical Netgear router that I have.

I would like Netgear Router 1 (that's broadcasting the Internet connection) to send a signal to Netgear Router 2. I'd then want the conservatory PC to grab the boosted Internet connection from Netgear Router 2 so it has a much more stronger signal (like a repeater). I can see two ways of doing this but how I'd set this up I do not know.

1) Router 2 connects to PC via Ethernet cable
2) Router 2 connects to PC via the USB wireless dongle.

Can anyone help? I am not interested in buying more equipment and I am a complete network noob :)

ok so you're a noob.

We can offer you information on if you are doing something wrong; or if you're equipment is not going to do what you are asking.

Please tell us the router models you have. If the model label has a version number please let us know what that is too. Also please tell us what the make and model of wireless USB dongle you are using.

If you know what your wireless settings are please also include that info:

Wireless type: A,B,G,or N?
Bandwith mode 20mhz or 40mhz?
Channel 1-11?
Wireless Encryption Type? WPA, WEP, OPEN

Does your phone have the option to give the signal in units of dbi? If so what is the dbi reading?

Two last questions, how close are your neighbors? Less than 100' away? 200'

Do you have and use any cordless 2.4Ghz phones in your house?

Hi, ok maybe noob was a little harsh but I am not very confident with networking various devices together.

The routers are both Negear 834GT's. One has official firmware while the other has a modified firmware (unlocks additional options). The dongle is an ASUS Wireless Link U1. This dongle supports A, B and G. The routers are set for B&G. I am using channel 3 but I have tried various channels. Encryption is WPA2.

My smartphone only shows the signal strength in percentages. I have software on the PC (Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector) that shows the signals in dBm but what is dbi?

Neighbours are very close to me. Yes, there are cordless phones in the house, one is right next to the Router A. Turning the wireless phones off does not change the signal strength in the conservatory.

Last edited:
Last night, the internet on the PC was really slow and not responding, but when I accessed the internet via my smartphone with the same wireless connection, in the same room, I was able to access websites very fast. What does this mean?

Last night, the internet on the PC was really slow and not responding, but when I accessed the internet via my smartphone with the same wireless connection, in the same room, I was able to access websites very fast. What does this mean?

Means you slowed down the internets stop it !

Next time your internet gets slow on the conservatory PC get on your phone and see what the internet looks like closer to the router. That'll help you rule out distance as a factor.

Means the mobile version of websites have less data? Means the wireless on your phone is better than your usb. Maybe it has driver conflict maybe it's scanning for a better signal.

you can, like you mentioned, simply extend router 2 as close to your desktop as possible with an ethernet cable. The cable would plug into port 1-4, and you would have to login to the "extender" router and, turn off dhcp server and set the ip of the router within the same range as the 1st router (192.168.x.0-192.168.x.255) but not the same.

You mentioned one of the router is modified, so it may have a "bridge" feature built into it where it can bridge the wireless from one router to the desktop (exactly like a repeater or range expander).

Other people here may give your more information on the wireless portion of your setup. Generally you want to choose wireless channels that aren't already being used. Out of the 12 typical channels given to you, people usually only use three of them, 1,5/6,and 11.

2.4ghz phones can interfere with your signal when they go off, switching to different phones (6ghz) or switching to a 5ghz wifi N network can fix that.

edit: as others have also pointed out, make sure this is a wifi problem first, get closer to the router when the problems happen and see if anything changes. Or if you can temporarily wire your desktop directly to the router for a short while jsut to test.

The websites on my mobile phone are not mobile versions, they are full websites. I tried to do what you said serpretetsky a few days ago but it didn't work. I will try again later in the week. At the moment, I am using a long cat5e cable from the router to the conservatory so at least the Internet is useable.

The websites on my mobile phone are not mobile versions, they are full websites. I tried to do what you said serpretetsky a few days ago but it didn't work. I will try again later in the week. At the moment, I am using a long cat5e cable from the router to the conservatory so at least the Internet is useable.

is it slow with a ethernet cable too ?

With ethernet cable, the conservatory PC's Internet is as fast as it should be with no slow downs.

ditch the usb wireless and put in a internal one. the usb's are junk no power for distand and usually die often.

usb port can only put out 500ma, so the power is very low. a standard pci or pci-e one is 3-5 times that..

Back