Router Problems!!

JBiT

n00b
Ok I purchased a cheaper trendnet wireless n router from frys. I set it up and it works but every day or so I'll try to connect to the wireless and the Internet will be down. I sit down at my pc that is wired to the router and it is down as well. I keep reinstalling and it just always disconnects. Is there any way to fix is or can buying a better router fix it? Any help would be great!

Instead of reinstalling I would just unplug the router for 10-15 seconds and see if that gets your internet back. Also, check Trendnets website for any updated firmwre for your router.

Return it and buy a WRT54g. Not much more money...much fewer headaches.

First of all, make sure it's a router problem.

Instead of checking to see if your internet works...check to see if you can ping and communicate with yoru router...

from the command line...

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
... you should have a new IP address now
ipconfig
.... note what your gateway IP is
ping <your gateway IP>
... you should get 4 replies. This means your router is apparently working
ping 4.2.2.2
... this means your internet is working if you get 4 replies
ping google.com
... this means DNS is properly working and everything is working ok.

Try those steps and let us know how it goes

Bad advice possible for possibly the poorest router on the market.

That + tomato is pretty solid. I've had far fewer problems with that than most others...plus it can be had for pretty cheap.

There are much better routers out there, but they generally cost more.

But regardless....do the troubleshooting as I previously noted and then come back for more advice.

On a sidenote... I have a Belkin N1 for sale that I no longer use. Used it for about 4 months but then got a Netgear Prosafe unit.

I have the WRT54GS and have never had a problem with it. Good price for something it does its job.

When I ping 4.2.2.2 it says request timed out

Ok. So you could ping your gateway ok, but when you ping'd 4.2.2.2 failed.

Then your router is working ok, its some sort of internet problem. Meaning, you need to see if your internet is working.

Unplug your modem. Plug your computer into the modem, turn the modem back on. Do an Ipconfig /release and then an ipconfig /renew and see what IP you have. You should have a public IP (not 192.x). If you don't then try resetting the modem and try again.

If you can't get a public IP, then you are having internet issues. Call your ISP and trouble shoot it.

Once you get your modem working. Do an ipconfig /release, then unplug your computer from the modem. Plug the modem back into your router. Power cycle the router. Plug yoru computer into the router. Do an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

Redo the tests I have listed above and report your results back.

• Plug your computer into the modem.
  • Run:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ping google.com > c:\forum.txt
    ipconfig /release >> c:\forum.txt
  • Unplug your computer from the modem
  • Plug your computer into LAN 1 on your router.
  • Plug your modem into WAN on your router
  • Run:
    ipconfig /all >> c:\forum.txt
    ping 192.168.1.1 >> c:\forum.txt
    ping 192.168.0.1 >> c:\forum.txt
    ping 4.2.2.2 >> c:\forum.txt
    ping google.com >> c:\forum.txt

Post back the results from c:\forum.txt on here and we'll have another look at it.

Back