Router Mod....Ever done this?

wayne said:
it gets airflow if theres ample input and output... im guessing that fan is input so if you need output... just drill some holes around it for airflow... it doesnt always just cool the parts, it removes the air around it that becomes hot when the things heat up

Well the router has alot of open spots on the side and I can feel the warm air being pushed out of it, so I guess it works. Before my router was hot when you touched it and after the mod its room temp.

My netgear router will stop working if it gets too hot. When the cable co. came in to install the cable, he put the modem on top of the router, so the router couldn't vent. If I transferred any large amount of stuff over the network, the router would stop and I'd have to unplug it and let it cool. After a couple times, I figured it was the heat. I'd put a fan on mine, if just to make sure it didn't stop due to heat.

stryder2720 said:
Yea this one would give me a hard time every once and awile due to heat. It would just reboot or my network would crash all together. But now its runs like a charm :cool:

Oh and you can't see it in the pic but there is a northbridge heatsink on the main chip...thingy....from my old MSI board.

I did

Personally, I believe that most routers could use a small fan built in someplace. The Linksys routers that I have both run very hot, and I have heard reports of early failure with Linksys. I think they should come with fans. My DSL modem isn't exactly cool running, either.

mosin said:
Personally, I believe that most routers could use a small fan built in someplace. The Linksys routers that I have both run very hot, and I have heard reports of early failure with Linksys. I think they should come with fans. My DSL modem isn't exactly cool running, either.

Hmmm your right my modem is hot...........look out here I come :p

Back