Well my router was a little to hot so I put a fan on it..Enjoy :D
100_0827.jpg

100_0828.jpg

100_0829.jpg

100_0830.jpg

100_0831.jpg

....Much Better
:cool:

Hopefully it would last a little longer cooling it.

All of the home routers/switches/hubs run hotter than hades. Of course so do the big boys, but they have sufficient cooling most of the time.

hahha not to be rude but that is dumb its all in your imagination

I did this.

After my netgear switch would be used heavily for awhile (lots of data being moved for long periods of time) it would overheat and cease to function until I would unplug it and let it cool down, I don't have to worry now

ahah cool stuff. I was thinking about doing this but more stealth :)

my last wireless router died due to heat, and i did a similar mod on my new router, except i used one of those really small fans (20mm?) on the side, it pushes a decent amount of air, and gets the job done. hopefully it will last better than the old one did.

i was thinking about doing something like that but putting one of those 20mm blowers that you can find at frys if you dig around.

I was thinking of putting them in a cubby in my desk and have a 120mm fan blow across them.

DRJ1014 said:
hahha not to be rude but that is dumb its all in your imagination
Why would you say that? It's not like you can be sure. Granted he may not be getting any performance out of it. However...

As mentioned many of the soho routers run hotter than hell. His *may* have been having problems with heat, and performing slower than normal. A fan could have solved this problem and thus increased his network speeds (back to what they should be).

One thing you have to remember, when manufacturers test products, they give them plenty of breathing room. Not the corner of a desk, like many of us may have ours in...

There is also longevity, he is likely making his router last longer than normal by giving it cooler temps to operate at. At the very least, he has reduced his change of failure at high temps because he just isn't going to get that hot.

Not to be rude, but don't assume, that is dumb...

I did that on a SpeedStream DSL Modem, because that bitch would get hot and quit working.

Which reminds me of a pic posted on here a few years ago when someone on here had thrown cloths or something like that over a DSL or cable modem and had a total melt down. :eek:

last time i checked routers didnt need cooling...... and yes router mods have been done before, my friend made a router casing for his out of cardboard, it looks pimp

compslckr said:
my last wireless router died due to heat, and i did a similar mod on my new router, except i used one of those really small fans (20mm?) on the side, it pushes a decent amount of air, and gets the job done. hopefully it will last better than the old one did.
Yea this one would give me a hard time every once and awile due to heat. It would just reboot or my network would crash all together. But now its runs like a charm :cool:

Oh and you can't see it in the pic but there is a northbridge heatsink on the main chip...thingy....from my old MSI board.

my linksys died after a few weeks because it got knocked behind the desk and forgot about and eventually overheated. I just exchanged it for a new one :)

I've seen it done before. I dunno if it would help, but can't hurt. Have fun!

what is the theme of your room or computer? if its red or orange leave it but if not please cahnge it to green or blue

i think it would look even nicer with a fan grill

does a hot router cause a network to lose internet every once in a while?.. my router does that and it runs pretty hot... so im thinking, if i cant get a replacement for it, i was going to install fans on it but didnt know if i had space on the inside but putting fans on the outside?, hmmm, good idea :D

i put my old p4 hsf on my router since it got real hot... unfortunately it died recently...

DRJ1014 said:
no i wouldnt think so. i think its just a faulty router
just recently i had a post about this router, and people were like, every manufactured router had no problem

imma try to find that thread

you do that

now i have been thinking about his mod. it doesnt get much airflow because the air is just being pushed back out because there isnt enough space for the air to move around

oh i see what your talking about

Wayne you need to clear out your PM's i tried to send you one

Haha, nice. I cut a blowhole for a 40mm fan in my cable cheater box because it would get really hot and start acting wierd. It's been working fine for about a year now. :)

does it actually cool it down? i dont see how it gets much air over it because of the space it has to blow in

DRJ1014 said:
oh i see what your talking about

Wayne you need to clear out your PM's i tried to send you one
cleared some PMs, thanks for letting me know

DRJ1014 said:
does it actually cool it down? i dont see how it gets much air over it because of the space it has to blow in
it gets airflow if theres ample input and output... im guessing that fan is input so if you need output... just drill some holes around it for airflow... it doesnt always just cool the parts, it removes the air around it that becomes hot when the things heat up

ya i dont see how it would get much cooler without some output holes

DRJ1014 said:
ya i dont see how it would get much cooler without some output holes
well, it already has some stock ventilation holes... look on the side, you'll see slots lining the edge... however, since you've already modded it, i would drill more ventilation holes on the bottom cover and maybe put a riser thing on the bottom so it has airflow

wayne said:
well, it already has some stock ventilation holes... look on the side, you'll see slots lining the edge... however, since you've already modded it, i would drill more ventilation holes on the bottom cover and maybe put a riser thing on the bottom so it has airflow
ya thats exactly what i was thinking.... your starting to scare me wayne

Back