Rotary Cell Phone Prototype

I have 2 rotary phones in my house (built in the 30's) and for the short time I had phone service through the cable company I hooked them up and they still work.

Seeing how a Note7 is denied on flights, I'm willing to bet this one will get you a visit by TSA, NSA, and every 3 acronym agency.

That's more of a touch tone phone than a rotary. Rotaries made this pulsing noise when you turned it.

Reactions: Sorce
like this
That's more of a touch tone phone than a rotary. Rotaries made this pulsing noise when you turned it.

I don't think that pulse dialing was ever enabled on cell networks, but I'm sure I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure AT&T turned off pulse dialing on their network like 10 years ago because we had a rotary phone that wouldn't work any longer for dialing. Funny enough, I actually tried that phone on Vonage and they did have pulse dialing enabled, so it would work.

Yeah that kind of looks like my first bag phone, good times. People sure asked a lot of questions when I had that bag phone before many people had them.

I doubt cell networks support Pulse dialing, but I'd be shocked if the land line switches do not. Honestly, if they got rid of it (but I haven't had a land line in over 10 years), they'd probably have to drop the touch tone fee they charge (or has that been dropped?). Funny thing about that fee is that for ages it's been more expensive to support pulse dialing that touch tone.

I'm so old I can still remember as kid on the farm we had to use party lines. Yep, you had to share your line with your neighbours back then in rural areas.
Ah, the good old party line. We were fortunate enough to only have a 2 party line with my grandparents.

I love the feeling of spinning a rotary phone...we never had one but some friends did back in the day.

They used to make phones that looked like rotary but the dial was just a bunch of buttons...WTF is point of that? Lol.

Much experience with rotary. I never cared for the phones in themselves but the dialing experience was always interesting.

Vinyl never really went away, though

By that logic rotary never went away either as some people still have rotary phones. Vinyl is dead, doesn't matter if 10 people still use it. it is dead just like rotary is dead. Even if I am still supporting it due to 5 customers still using rotary phones.

I have an old bakelite rotary phone sitting in the living room that belonged to my grandparents. Worked till I got rid of the landline.

By that logic rotary never went away either as some people still have rotary phones. Vinyl is dead, doesn't matter if 10 people still use it. it is dead just like rotary is dead. Even if I am still supporting it due to 5 customers still using rotary phones.

Rotary's are dead because no one makes them anymore, and they most likely won't work on any service since they have all moved to VOIP on the backend. Vinyl is still produced currently and there are still record stores. It's almost more alive than CDs at this point....

Rotary's are dead because no one makes them anymore, and they most likely won't work on any service since they have all moved to VOIP on the backend. Vinyl is still produced currently and there are still record stores. It's almost more alive than CDs at this point....
Why would VOIP matter? There's no reason why it wouldn't be able to count packetized pulses.

Vinyl never really went away, though

It should though. The closer the needle gets to the center of the LP the more distortion it produces. That right there is one of the reasons I would never go back to vinyl.

It should though. The closer the needle gets to the center of the LP the more distortion it produces. That right there is one of the reasons I would never go back to vinyl.
Alas the kids and the audiophiles all think Vinyl is the shit. I can't say I haven't bought any in the last few years, but it's strictly for collecting. I switched from Vinyl to CD 30 years ago (really earlier, but that's when I sold my Turntable).

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=rotary+phone

People still make them, they even make new versions that allow hands free and other more recent features from tone dial phones.

Why would VOIP matter? There's no reason why it wouldn't be able to count packetized pulses.

yeah, I don't actually think there is an issue here. I will test this today as I have a phone that can be switched between tone and pulse dial and will be in the office. By default our softswitch is looking for either pulse or DTMF.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Indeed. It's not that I care much for it. Just stating facts. Plus I like techno dj sets where they still use vinyl. sick of carefully prerecorded crap

Indeed. It's not that I care much for it. Just stating facts. Plus I like techno dj sets where they still use vinyl. sick of carefully prerecorded crap
Is it prerecorded? I'm pretty sure you can mix CDs as you would a 12" and I'd be shocked if you can't do the same with sound files and various looping s/w and h/w.

I was thinking Rotary Engine and was like whaaaat no way!

Disappointed.

Is it prerecorded? I'm pretty sure you can mix CDs as you would a 12" and I'd be shocked if you can't do the same with sound files and various looping s/w and h/w.

Sure you can mix tracks digitally with CDs and files. Plenty of gear for that. That's the problem with live sets. I have no interested in perfectly mixed tracks 100% of the time. I can do that myself with the same media

Even gods such as Jeff Mills make plenty of mistakes

Bell Canada still applies a $2.80 charge on landline phone bills for "Touch-Tone service". Rotary dial customers do not have the fee applied to their bill.

Bell Canada still applies a $2.80 charge on landline phone bills for "Touch-Tone service". Rotary dial customers do not have the fee applied to their bill.

for the USA i think most states have have moved away from that in a way. it was changed for awhile where everyone was charged it no matter if they were rotary or touch tone. Which we had customers complain about. So your phone service was one price, then you were forced to pay touch tone. Then you had to pay something like $0.25 or $.050 per 1/4 mile that you were from the equipment that serviced you. They finally decided that they would just take an average of what all companies were bringing in per person and used that to compute new charge rate that all phone companies had to charge for phone service that hid all the charges but just wrapping them into one price. It has been about 8 years so don't recall all the rates now. With that said I think some states or rural areas did keep all the seperate rates just because of how much the state would lose if they didn't charge per mile for some places.

Keep a rotary phone on the nite stand and we no longer need the 2nd amendment.

*thump*

When I was much younger, I actually knew an older guy who owned a rather large construction company. He actually had a mobile phone installed in his truck, and it had a rotary dial. I don't even think it was cellular based, or if it was it was retro when it came out lol

When I was much younger, I actually knew an older guy who owned a rather large construction company. He actually had a mobile phone installed in his truck, and it had a rotary dial. I don't even think it was cellular based, or if it was it was retro when it came out lol
What year was that?

I'm so old I can still remember as kid on the farm we had to use party lines. Yep, you had to share your line with your neighbours back then in rural areas.

I'd forgotten those, yeah when I used to go to my Uncles farm in he 60's they were on a party line.

What year was that?

This was back in 1990. If I recall correctly, he had had it for several years by that point. I believe it was radio based instead of cellular as I remember him commenting that cellular phones didn't service most of his job sites on Lake Gaston at the time. Up until that point, the only cell phones I had seen were the bag phone in my parents car, and those giant grey bricks people held up to their head to make a call so seeing a rotary mobile was pretty memorable lol

Edit: Seems it was even older than I thought, having been introduced to the market in 1979.
http://www.wb6nvh.com/MTSfiles/Carphone6.htm Scroll down to the entry for Pulsar II.

Last edited:

I have bought about 12 records in the last couple years. I buy it solely for the nostalgia and the art (some are current releases). I have no desire to actually play them. I have a feeling that others are also taking part in this behavior. I absolutely do not believe in this "analogue is warm and natural" bullshit. There is nothing to support this claim. I also collect Laserdiscs for the same reasons.

tumblr_nomisnvTfH1rm2sjgo1_1280.jpg

I'd forgotten those, yeah when I used to go to my Uncles farm in he 60's they were on a party line.

It was the 60s when we had party line. I can remember I even had a crystal radio set back then and my own walky-talkies that were good for up to a mile. :)

Alas the kids and the audiophiles all think Vinyl is the shit. I can't say I haven't bought any in the last few years, but it's strictly for collecting. I switched from Vinyl to CD 30 years ago (really earlier, but that's when I sold my Turntable).

Same here, 1986 or 87. A Philips. I have a friend that had the very first Sony CD player and I think that was 84 and cost $800.00 CAD.

It was the 60s when we had party line. I can remember I even had a crystal radio set back then and my own walky-talkies that were good for up to a mile. :)

Hate to inform you guys but not all areas were so long ago that they moved away from then. My employer got rid of party lines in the early 90s. I was in my early teens that that time. Some places had them even longer. Looking on Wikipedia it talks about how Southwestern bell started in 91 replacing party lines with a goal of having it finished by 95. Which looking at some of the other places it listed it does look like around 90-95 does seem to be when there was a harder push to get away from party lines. So only about 20 - 25 years ago. So in some areas you really only need to be in your 30s to remember party lines being a thing.

This was back in 1990. If I recall correctly, he had had it for several years by that point. I believe it was radio based instead of cellular as I remember him commenting that cellular phones didn't service most of his job sites on Lake Gaston at the time. Up until that point, the only cell phones I had seen were the bag phone in my parents car, and those giant grey bricks people held up to their head to make a call so seeing a rotary mobile was pretty memorable lol

Edit: Seems it was even older than I thought, having been introduced to the market in 1979.
http://www.wb6nvh.com/MTSfiles/Carphone6.htm Scroll down to the entry for Pulsar II.
Do you mean scroll to "MOTOROLA 1970's IMTS EQUIPMENT"? Pulsar II is touchtone. Assuming it's the MOTO unit, it's not a Cell Phone. I saw a wireless phone in the mid 70s. not sure how it worked, but I suspect it was push to talk type of phone....but I was young and i never used it, so no idea.

Back