Room to hot

lolivegarden

Weaksauce
Finally got a coolermaster HAF, my computer is very cool compared to before, but I have one problem, the room is hot as hell. Does anyone else experience this? I've been seriously thinking of putting my computer outside, or another room or something, do you guys know how long USB cables and DVI cables can be? Any suggestions appreciated.

That is what happens when these things get faster, one of the byproducts is heat, lots of heat. Mine makes the room hot too.

If the room temperature is too warm, a pc will not cool properly with any air cooling setup.

Ambient temp is very important.

If the room temperature is too warm, a pc will not cool properly with any air cooling setup.

Ambient temp is very important.

Yep, your cooling capability is only going to be as good as your ambient temps. So if Durano is trying to OC his quad rig in Saudi Arabi while Nekko is doing his in the arctic circle, who da ya thing is gonna come out ahead? :D

Yeah, but I guess a computer can cool properly at room temperature being 90F and I'll be uncomfortable. I mean, it is what it is right now. Room is hot and the computer is working fine.

Computers are furnaces. Besides air conditioning, making sure the room is well-ventilated will help with ambient temps. The warm air the computer exhausts needs to go somewhere. Otherwise the room becomes an oven.

I have an AC, the problem then is that that room will still be hotter than the rest and the AC will have to be set to much colder so then the rest of the house is too cold and that room is just right. It's not a matter of cooling the room, it's a matter of where to place the pc so that it's not in the room and how long the cables can be.

Uh, no, it is a matter of cooling the room. Set the thermostat on the AC to the same setting as the rest of the house.

An AC unit placed in that room can't magically cool the rest of the house to a lower temperature than that of the room that it's placed in.

Just shove a 5,000 - 10,000 BTU window unit in there (depending on room size) and forget about it.

I'm sorry but a window unit (for me) will not look very nice.

Does anyone know how long the cables can be? or if there's any solution to connect the monitor, mouse and keyboard through ethernet or something. I know there's a bunch of stuff on the net, but I want to know if anyone's tried any.

yeah, I don't plan to put it outside the house, but maybe I can put it in the basement or something.

I'm sorry but a window unit (for me) will not look very nice.

Does anyone know how long the cables can be? or if there's any solution to connect the monitor, mouse and keyboard through ethernet or something. I know there's a bunch of stuff on the net, but I want to know if anyone's tried any.

if you game on that rig I wouldn't run the lines to far if you find that to be your only solution. it's going to add lag.

if you game on that rig I wouldn't run the lines to far if you find that to be your only solution. it's going to add lag.

This is a joke, right?

Copper conducts current at very close to the speed of light. To add 1 ms of lag, you'd need a mouse cable about 190 miles long.

To add 1 ms of lag, you'd need a mouse cable about 190 miles long.

That's what I figured, but would I need a repeater? Or I guess the question is, how far before I need a repeater.

Wow, how can you stand 90F in your room? I would die. I really don't like heat or humidity.

I had this same problem with my old q6600 and gtx8800!!!
What finally solve my problems was getting a larger case with as many fans possible.
But instead of putting the fans to exhaust I put them to intake. I did get the a true cpu cooler, and a aftermaket gpu cooler though.

With my last house I rented, my room was in the basement where i never had a problem with my two gtx 280s. Now that i'm in an appt on the top floor, i've started to have issues with heat and the resulting artifacts. Wish I was living in my hole that was the basement again :(

This is a joke, right?

Copper conducts current at very close to the speed of light. To add 1 ms of lag, you'd need a mouse cable about 190 miles long.

he's also got to worry about his dvi cables like he said. hey if I'm off base fuck it. no sweat off my sac. as it stands I have a dvi cable I have to be careful not to get near the power cord on my tower. if I do, I get noise in the signal (in the form of green specs on my screen) considering that I just wouldn't want to go to great of a distance myself.

I'm aware that's not lag. but with video signals is it still the same case?

Try that in practice and get back to us. ;)

A cable that long wouldn't work because of signal degradation.

However, long cables do not pose a problem with lag. End of story.

Same thing with speaker wire. People worry about one wire being 10 feet longer than the other but fail to realize that will only cause a delay of a thousandth of a millisecond in the audio.

I had this same problem with my old q6600 and gtx8800!!!
What finally solve my problems was getting a larger case with as many fans possible.
But instead of putting the fans to exhaust I put them to intake. I did get the a true cpu cooler, and a aftermaket gpu cooler though.

... you just may have invoked the wrath of every armchair engineer with any thermodynamics knowledge at all! How is it that 3 posts went by before the first flame?

Seriously though, your computer will produce the same amount of heat regardless of the temperature of its components. Adding bigger heatsinks and fans will help keep your CPU cooler, but your room will be receiving just as much heat as before. In fact, better heatsinks usually lead to higher overclocks (depending on the user) which will increase heat output further ;).

he's also got to worry about his dvi cables like he said. hey if I'm off base fuck it. no sweat off my sac. as it stands I have a dvi cable I have to be careful not to get near the power cord on my tower. if I do, I get noise in the signal (in the form of green specs on my screen) considering that I just wouldn't want to go to great of a distance myself.

I'm aware that's not lag. but with video signals is it still the same case?

Lag simply isn't an issue. Forget about lag.

All he should be worried about is what works versus what doesn't. 15 feet is about all you can get from USB. I mentioned USB specifically because it'll probably be the limiting factor. With a well-shielded cable with ferrites, you can generally get 20-50 feet from a DVI or HDMI cable and the same from a quality shielded audio cable.

no its not. Do you have any how fast an electron will move through copper? Input lag is from tplh (propagation delay --IE processing time), not from the speed of an electron in the medium.

Considering DVI-D (your monitors cable) is HDMI for all intensive purposes, you could get away with 30-40ft before I'd start to worry about it. USB is a pretty rugged system so you could get away with some pretty substantial distances. --that said if you use a bunch of 3ft extenders the cable resistance itself is pretty tiny but the connection between the cables can offer some substantial resistance. There are all sorts of extender cables which you can buy and run through your house, but if your looking for a project what you might want to do is head over to a serious electronics hobby shop and see if you cant maybe bread-board together a more elegant solution.

Just get a big peltier and stick it in your window. You can paint the outside to look like glass and your room will be frosty cold while still looking nice.

... you just may have invoked the wrath of every armchair engineer with any thermodynamics knowledge at all! How is it that 3 posts went by before the first flame?

Seriously though, your computer will produce the same amount of heat regardless of the temperature of its components. Adding bigger heatsinks and fans will help keep your CPU cooler, but your room will be receiving just as much heat as before. In fact, better heatsinks usually lead to higher overclocks (depending on the user) which will increase heat output further ;).

This man speaks the truth! Thank goodness I didn't have to be the first person to come in here and correct common misconceptions. Although with all the bickering about cable length there hasn't been much discussion about the heat and the normal fallacies that come with it.

all intensive purposes,

Grammar Nazi,

Intents and Purposes.

That is all.

grammarnazi.jpg

Back