Roku Streaming stick - $15 off - $35 @ Amazon

I'm guessing you mean the 3500R version. There's also the newer(?) version the 3600R for $49.

Edit: I guess it won't let me post amazon links.

this one- old one- is supposedly more than a bit pokey. new one is supposed to be as good as the set top box, butter smooth.

I had one of these and the remote would become un synced all the time and it was a pain in the ass to keep fixing.

Old ones are poky if you mean a 3-5 second delay on starting a channel (except PLEX which is 20-30), once open it's smooth, however just got a new version for Mom to replace her Roku classic. Tried it out and it's instantaneous, sorry Mom you get an old one.

Amazon links no worky? Did [H] lose the referral stuff?

Thought about getting one of these, but then remembered that I think it was the Fire stick that could be hacked to load Kobi onto it.

this one- old one- is supposedly more than a bit pokey. new one is supposed to be as good as the set top box, butter smooth.

New version is WAY faster.

Thought about getting one of these, but then remembered that I think it was the Fire stick that could be hacked to load Kobi onto it.

Fire TV Stick is decent for Internet streaming, but sucks pretty bad for local network content. Plex streaming tends to drop audio and can't handle very high bitrates.

New version is WAY faster.

Fire TV Stick is decent for Internet streaming, but sucks pretty bad for local network content. Plex streaming tends to drop audio and can't handle very high bitrates.

Hmm, what is considered a very high bitrate? I use a FireTV Stick for Kodi and I have not seen any frame issues (drops/skips) in the video stats on 1080p MKVs. File sizes for films are around 12GB and the video bitrate is around 10-15mbps.

Maybe if you were playing plain BluRay rips at 25-35mbps or so it might have problems.

Back