Rockit 88 - Intel CPU Delid Tool

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Armenius, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Rockit 88 - Intel CPU Delid Tool

World's safest CPU delid tool. Delid your CPU with complete confidence. Works on Haswell, Devil's Canyon, Skylake and more.

It only had a goal of $600 which was quickly met. Looks like he will probably sell them for $35 USD based on the reward tiers. The Kickstarter is open until April 15.

Looks like a good design. It's spreading the load on the PCB via maximum surface area so pressure is only being applied against the IHS. And it's in a box, so you don't have to worry about your CPU going flying :D.

2. Private_Ops

Private_Ops [H]ard|Gawd

3. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

4. CrazyRob

CrazyRob [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, this is gonna have to happen. Thanks for the link!

5. KingRaptor

KingRaptor [H]Lite

That is pretty useful. I wonder if it's one-size-fits-all? Aren't some Intel chips taller (the -E class chips like Haswell-E)?

6. CrazyRob

CrazyRob [H]ard|Gawd

This definitely will not work with -e class cpu's (2011/2011-v3). Not only are they physically a different shape, as you brought up, but the IHS is also soldered on, so attempting to delid would likely destroy the cpu.

7. DouglasteR

DouglasteR Limp Gawd

8. KingRaptor

KingRaptor [H]Lite

I hope they add the appropriate disclaimers about the -E class chips. I know everyone who uses this to delid probably knows the difference between regular and -E chips, but there will be some moron in the real world who purposefully destroys an -E chip and tries to blame it on the product.

9. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

E-series (2011-X) chips are twice the size of 115X chips. You wouldn't even be able to fit a 2011 chip on the device.

This is pretty awesome. Obviously Intel's negligence is spawning a market.

Armenius likes this.
  10. NoNRG

NoNRG 2[H]4U

After you break the epoxy that secures the lid, what do you use instead to secure the IHS?

11. MrGreg62

MrGreg62 Lurker

You typically wouldn't re-attach it with anything other than the replacement paste and the clamping action of the cooler.

12. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

As stated, there really isn't a need.

However, if you felt the need to secure it, I would use something non-permanent and non-electrically conductive such as rubber cement. I would put a tiny drop on each corner outside the IHS, not underneath the metal lip where the old epoxy was. A tiny drop would be just enough to hold it in place as you drop it in the socket and clamp it down.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  13. NoNRG

NoNRG 2[H]4U

Thanks for the answers. I had also sent a message to the Kickstarter creator asking the same question before both of you answered. His response is below.