Rocket Lake benchmark leaked

Alot better? It shows the same SC score as a 5800x. The MC score is between that of a 10700k and a 5800x meaning HT is really bad or that all core frequencies are really low.

My guess is the latter based power consumption rumors. Still should be a good cpu based on other features like the igpu and quick sync.

Clock speeds leaked show a 17% ipc increase using the above benchmark.

The 11900k has the same single core freq but 100 mhz less all core. I suspect this was to hit the 250 watt max tdp PL2 state. Very possible that it can reach 10900k clocks when overclocking - just make sure you fire up the reactor first.

Honestly though, higher clocks than I expected from RKL.

The MC/SC ratio

10700K: 6.655
5800x: 6.2414
11xxxK: 5.947

Is that a sign those company get better at boosting a single core when needed ?

Does seem nice but feel a step behind, an AMD refresh a la XT could let them kept the crowd in all scenarios if those numbers are a good indication, than again 10900K was closer in gaming performance than those single thread gap are on that geekbench, so maybe not.

The MC/SC ratio

10700K: 6.655
5800x: 6.2414
11xxxK: 5.947

Is that a sign those company get better at boosting a single core when needed ?

Does seem nice but feel a step behind, an AMD refresh a la XT could let them kept the crowd in all scenarios if those numbers are a good indication, than again 10900K was closer in gaming performance than those single thread gap are on that geekbench, so maybe not.

You need more data. It could mean SMT performance is getting worse or there is a bigger discrepancy in clocks between SC and MC so as to keep PL2 down (which is the case for RKL).

Clock speeds leaked show a 17% ipc increase using the above benchmark.

The 11900k has the same single core freq but 100 mhz less all core. I suspect this was to hit the 250 watt max tdp PL2 state. Very possible that it can reach 10900k clocks when overclocking - just make sure you fire up the reactor first.

Honestly though, higher clocks than I expected from RKL.
17% IPC increase is good considering they are in the same process.

if intel beat amd to the 7nm, amd would be slightly behind right?

i wish they could test power consumption clock for clock too.

i'm curious which uses more power at 4ghz

Considering the 11900k has similar pl2 as the 10900k (as leaked), they should be similar at 4 ghz too.

Node process doesn't affect IPC
why not? process can affect transistor performance, can't it?

though in this case it might just be changes in the backporting process that causes a loss in IPC compared to what it would be if the chip was made on its intended node.

though in this case it might just be changes in the backporting process that causes a loss in IPC compared to what it would be if the chip was made on its intended node.

Indirectly maybe as in a smaller node would theoretically require less power and less heat is produced allowing for higher clocks which would increase performance.

Directly, no. The best comparison I can think of off the top of my head is older consoles (think XB360/PS3). Initially they were larger nodes and closer to the end of the production cycle, they were smaller nodes which yielded essentially the same performance. They just ran cooler and with less heat produced (and then you also had "slim" versions, etc. since there was less heat).

Given all else the same, transistor size will affect maximum frequency and efficiency, but it doesn't really affect instructions PER CLOCK or IPC.

They could with hand-tuning of the design, but why bother? Not worth the investment.
Why bother? IDK, to match or surpass Intel? My point is they are clocking the chips as far as they can, just like Intel, it's meaningless to bring up IPC per clock. Overall performance in your chosen application and useage scenario, is what matters.

Why bother? IDK, to match or surpass Intel? My point is they are clocking the chips as far as they can, just like Intel, it's meaningless to bring up IPC per clock. Overall performance in your chosen application and useage scenario, is what matters.
"IPC per clock."

They're already matching or surpassing Intel and Rocket Lake most likely isn't going to be worth buying even if they claw back a 5-10% single threaded performance lead. That performance lead will shrink as you pile on the threads, and it will run out of threads long before AMD, all while consuming around twice the power.

"IPC per clock."

They're already matching or surpassing Intel and Rocket Lake most likely isn't going to be worth buying even if they claw back a 5-10% single threaded performance lead. That performance lead will shrink as you pile on the threads, and it will run out of threads long before AMD, all while consuming around twice the power.
You brought up the fact that "Intel just clocks higher", that AMD has better IPC. That's why I responded with AMD would clock higher if they could, because they cannot. Should I underclock my Intel rig for some reason, just because AMD can't match my clocks?

I don't care, and no one should, about clock speeds or IPC. It's all about what performance I get in the end for my usage scenario and price point. If you need better multi-thread performance, it's the same arguement, IPC and clock speed are irrelevant, only the final performance that fits your needs matters. For games, Intel is still a good value at every tier, and ha a better reputation for stability and compatability. If you can use more than eight cores and sixteen threads, or course a stable AMD rig would make sense, as long as it fits your budget, since AMD is no longer the budget king in every tier.

You brought up the fact that "Intel just clocks higher", that AMD has better IPC.
I didn't actually. Maybe you're thinking of someone else?
I don't care, and no one should, about clock speeds or IPC. It's all about what performance I get in the end for my usage scenario and price point.
This I agree with, and it's something Intel has a problem with currently (and will until Alder Lake is released.)
For games, Intel is still a good value at every tier, and ha a better reputation for stability and compatability.
This ranges from debatable to outright FUD.

Is there going to be a 10 core or 12 core release under a different name at all? Or is Intel just doing 8 core and then moving off of 14nm ? (I am in the worst time to be wanting to buy a new cpu!)

"IPC per clock."

i want reviewers to look at IPC per watt.

don't care about clocks if the power draw is different.

I didn't actually. Maybe you're thinking of someone else?

This I agree with, and it's something Intel has a problem with currently (and will until Alder Lake is released.)

This ranges from debatable to outright FUD.

I initially brought it up posting that 4Ghz locked review showing AMD with a 8% IPC lead at the same clockspeed.

Performance is important, but not all desktops are equal. A SFF system might not have the cooling capacity to handle an all core OC'd i9.

AMD is just as stable as Intel, and the compatibility argument had more to do with the early Zen1 design. I haven't had a memory compatibility problem since my first 1700/B350 build 5 years ago.

i want reviewers to look at IPC per watt.

don't care about clocks if the power draw is different.

Definitely a talking point. I'm interested to see what a RKL 6C/12T CPU looks like (a 11400, not a 11600k). Especially since AMD starts at $299 right now. I'm guessing AMD will match Intel's pricing though and probably release a 5600 (non-x).

Is there going to be a 10 core or 12 core release under a different name at all? Or is Intel just doing 8 core and then moving off of 14nm ? (I am in the worst time to be wanting to buy a new cpu!)

Maybe something in their HEDT lineup? My understanding is that 8C16T is going to cap out their mainstream lineup.

Thats a shame, the 10900k / 10850 were looking tempting for me since i can not find AMD anywhere! but i need cores!

So could be the ice-lake then but that takes us into Xeon line...but that doesnt look promising
Ice Lake-X, the HEDT lineup based on the new 10nm Sunny Cove core architecture is also nowhere in sight. Either it has been scrapped or delayed to 2021 as well.
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel...-lake-x-hedt-cpus-reportedly-delayed-to-2021/

Just trying to get caught up on Intel lately due to AMD shortage, i see LGA1200 is dead as of Alder Lake which could ship end of 2021....

Last edited:
damn craptastic integrated graphics. only 50% improvement at the top end,
25% improvement on the core i5

11thgendes_575px.png

I initially brought it up posting that 4Ghz locked review showing AMD with a 8% IPC lead at the same clockspeed.

Performance is important, but not all desktops are equal. A SFF system might not have the cooling capacity to handle an all core OC'd i9.

AMD is just as stable as Intel, and the compatibility argument had more to do with the early Zen1 design. I haven't had a memory compatibility problem since my first 1700/B350 build 5 years ago.

Definitely a talking point. I'm interested to see what a RKL 6C/12T CPU looks like (a 11400, not a 11600k). Especially since AMD starts at $299 right now. I'm guessing AMD will match Intel's pricing though and probably release a 5600 (non-x).
missing a lot from AMD still

5200 APU
5400 APU
Threadrippers

The 11400 looks meh a $200 5600 and a 5300 around $160 should keep things in check

missing a lot from AMD still

5200 APU
5400 APU
Threadrippers

The 11400 looks meh a $200 5600 and a 5300 around $160 should keep things in check

Well, sure, but as it stands now, it looks like AMD will be ceding the sub-$300 market to Intel unless AMD decides to stealth launch something. For better or worse, they are victims of their own success. They launched the new consoles, new CPUs, and new graphics cards all in the same month. Supply is tight. If I were them, I'd be pumping out the high margin parts before the low margin ones.

Back