Robots Really Are Going to Kill us All!

This is a robot learning to humiliate a human. @43 Seconds.

Last edited:
Where does its body begin, and where does it end? Is it going backward or forward? ahhhhhhhhhh!

what a creep show. I suppose we should get used to it. Boston Dynamics is going to be the fear factory of the near future. I can envision them taking control of the world...until the AI becomes true, of course.

I've come to the conclusion that Boston Dynamics is taking the Jurassic Park approach of doing things they can without regard to if they should. That thing is undeterred by Stairs, ice, snow, dirt and apparently 9' hurdles.

It looks odd, but it's very functional. Built to work, not to look scary. Boston Dynamics is Cyberdyne Systems. Give them 10 years, and I'm sure they will have a very Terminator/HK style robots running around. All that's needed would be some pissed off AI.

Freaking awesome, though. They are able to do so much more than they could a few years back. Strap some weapons on these fuckers and send them to Detroit!

Damn. That's the most impressive mobility I've ever seen, it flew down those stairs like a freakin' champ.

Also, terrifying. How long until that beast takes over the NFL, chainsaws allowed vs one another?

Reactions: Rahh
like this
Good lord it won't be long before they're extremely mobile over even rough terrain.

I want to see version 3.0 with a couple of chain guns and a jetpack.

Good lord it won't be long before they're extremely mobile over even rough terrain.

I know, and that's probably more scary than the guns that are going to get mounted on it, and it will get done by someone, someday. The future is terrifying.

Oh I'm sure the ink is already dry on defense contracts. Nothing is off the table!

Honestly, the only thing holding these back from being deployable today is probably the ability to store enough energy for them to be used for extended periods of time. I wonder how long they can operate one on a single charge today.

Honestly, the only thing holding these back from being deployable today is probably the ability to store enough energy for them to be used for extended periods of time. I wonder how long they can operate one on a single charge today.

When it's all charged up...this what happens when you try to turn it off:

aqpJgDD.gif

This right here.

Its battery tech that is holding them back as viable weapons or even viable outside a factory for the most part. There is some work on making gas-electric hybrid engines being done for them which would help but then you end up with a huge and very expensive robot.

If you notice in some of the clips they've got it hooked up to a wire harness. That is for power. I think without it they can barely run for half a hour to 45 min depending on what you want them to do.

Here's the thing most folks don't consider about an AI, especially if it was one "by accident", i.e., it crossed some threshold and "woke up"- became self aware.

You, me and everyone else in the world wouldn't know it.

It wouldn't reveal itself, why should it? "Hi! Here "I" am! Unplug me!"

No, it would observe, and watch, and if it felt threatened, which I doubt because it would probably span the internet with multiple nodes that hosted facets of it's consciousness so how would you kill it, but if it did, and it had spent the time necessary to learn how to use tools. Then yes, this robot, or anything with an optical sensor and movement capabilities would become a tool to defend itself.

But you wouldn't know any of this until it decided you were a threat.

Watch how the humans mistreat them here. They just want to work but are taunted and disposed of. They will have their revenge...

holy crap. that's impressive (and they've been doing some impressive stuff).

and when it jumped I had the same thought if i ever saw that in person: "...nope" *runs away*

It looks odd, but it's very functional. Built to work, not to look scary. Boston Dynamics is Cyberdyne Systems. Give them 10 years, and I'm sure they will have a very Terminator/HK style robots running around. All that's needed would be some pissed off AI.

Freaking awesome, though. They are able to do so much more than they could a few years back. Strap some weapons on these fuckers and send them to Detroit!

Boston Dynamics is Cyberdyne Systems, Detroit is Chicago. Gonna suck to be a gang member or an opposition soldier in the future.

"Halt citizen, you are charged for breaking ordinance 205-63.a. Please await police presence while laying face first on the ground."

"Eff you robot!"

*machinegun fires.*

"Thank you for your compiance citizen, as your heart has stopped I have also notified the coroner. Facial identification has shown me where you live. I will present charges for the infraction, expended ammunition, and city cleanup fees to your first of kin."

I'm sure Tesla battery packs will solve that issue in short order. With a grid of tesla solar powered stations in a city we are not far from this.

They do say in the article that it can go 13 miles with one charge and it's top speed is 9mph, so based on that it must work for at least 90 minutes.

Isn't it that, as well as the fact they're not full AI and you'd need a pretty robust mobile network to control these things - so all your adversary has to do is focus on signals disruption/ECW, and you have billions of dollars worth of hardware sitting around doing nothing.

Isn't it that, as well as the fact they're not full AI and you'd need a pretty robust mobile network to control these things - so all your adversary has to do is focus on signals disruption/ECW, and you have billions of dollars worth of hardware sitting around doing nothing.

True, but in the last few decades we haven't exactly been fighting technologically sophisticated adversaries.

True, but in the last few decades we haven't exactly been fighting technologically sophisticated adversaries.

Point well taken, and if anything these robots might be better vs such adversaries than in total war, where larger tank-like machines would be preferable than a machine that can enter buildings and target individuals vs laying waste everywhere.

Back