Ripping DVD's in Linux to play on my Series S off the external HDD

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
Ok, I have gotten rid of my XBox One X so I no longer have the bluray drive, since I bought a Series S. Now, I have no issue with that, since I probably inserted a disc about once every 3 or 4 months, if even that. Now, does anyone know of an easy way to rip dvd's to an HDD that I could then play or stream from my computer and play on the XBox Series S?

Thanks. Oh, and I forgot, I can play my DVD's on my XBox 360 Slim so I am good if the rips do not work.

I use MakeMKV to rip DVDs and Blurays and encode with Handbrake using custom settings. The encodes are stored on my server which uses Jellyfin to serve them out to various devices in the house, most of them being Rokus.

I used to use Plex but if the internet connection is down it's impossible to stream anything from my server since the login and authentication between devices and my server is through the Plex web servers. It's a completely stupid requirement and an inconvenience as all traffic is local to the house.

Why do you guys need all this weird software anyway? I just map to my wd network drive and I can play the movies on all devices in my home, even my smartphone.

Why do you guys need all this weird software anyway? I just map to my wd network drive and I can play the movies on all devices in my home, even my smartphone.
I assume you're talking about the media server software? I use it because it's an easy to use frontend for various devices such as Rokus and phones. The server software also takes care of things like transcoding video and audio as necessary.

Just for the hell of it years ago I tried using the built-in Roku media player to stream movies from my server without Plex or Jellyfin. It was worthless. Few movies would stream or work properly and navigating through the files would have been a huge pain for most people.

I don't personally bother with Jellyfin for steaming to my PC. I navigate to the shared directories with my media and play what I want that way. I'm accustomed to it because I've been doing it for years that way and I also set up the directory structure so I know where everything is. It's quicker and easier for me to do it that way than use some sort of front end. However, most people are not going to want to bother with that and a front end which shows you all movies or TV shows or music and will do filtering of results is a lot more convenient for them. It also allows for movie/show info so people can read a description of the movie/show to see if they might like it before watching it.

I always liked UMS https://www.universalmediaserver.com/ over plex... but that's like just my opinion man.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ums/

Well maintained in the AUR if your on Arch, Manjaro or anything arch based. Not sure I would trust any of the PPAs if your on anything Ubuntu based... but its not that hard to install the Tar Ball. I don't suggest often skipping the Package manager... but its not to big a deal the dependencies are pretty standard things like mplayer that aren't very likely to get orphaned or anything.
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2021/02/install-setup-universal-media-server-ubuntu-20-04/

I always liked UMS https://www.universalmediaserver.com/ over plex... but that's like just my opinion man.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ums/

Well maintained in the AUR if your on Arch, Manjaro or anything arch based. Not sure I would trust any of the PPAs if your on anything Ubuntu based... but its not that hard to install the Tar Ball. I don't suggest often skipping the Package manager... but its not to big a deal the dependencies are pretty standard things like mplayer that aren't very likely to get orphaned or anything.
https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2021/02/install-setup-universal-media-server-ubuntu-20-04/
Maybe I'll install UMS as an alternate to Plex if my connection ever dies for a long while. Would be pretty easy with my EndeavourOS server (converted from Manjaro to Arch to EndeavourOS for better updates).

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Just as a sidenote: Do you really still watch low-res DVD's? I haven't been able to watch anything in SD or even standard HD in ages.

Just as a sidenote: Do you really still watch low-res DVD's? I haven't been able to watch anything in SD or even standard HD in ages.
SD is fine for kids movies and some older titles. I am yet to bump up to 4k for several reasons:
- No 4k titles at library to rip which is where I go.
- Some of our tvs are still only 1080p anyhow
- High quality blu ray rips still look damn good.
- Still using h264 to ensure compatibility meaning 4k rips would be massive. Still not sure if I want to step to AV1 or HEVC but for sure do not want multiple formats eating space.

SD is fine for kids movies and some older titles. I am yet to bump up to 4k for several reasons:
- Still using h264 to ensure compatibility meaning 4k rips would be massive. Still not sure if I want to step to AV1 or HEVC but for sure do not want multiple formats eating space.
HEVC works great for most devices & saves a lot of space.

Also where things like UMS come in. As long as the machine the server is running on isn't a complete potato transcoding happens on the fly for devices that need it.
Same for Plex. Stream to almost anything since I have a Broadwell-E CPU pulling its weight.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Full HD I can understand but DVD tends to look really crappy on a large tv or whitescreen.

Full HD I can understand but DVD tends to look really crappy on a large tv or whitescreen.
I have a decent sized catalog of SD content going back 15+ years. It's still the vast majority of my video content and I'm not going to delete it and do without just because it's not 1080p or higher. Replacing all of it with Bluray discs is beyond cost prohibitive and I simply don't care. A little bit here and there has been updated but not much and funds aren't in the picture to do it even if everything had a Bluray version.

Last edited:
I use MakeMKV to rip DVDs and Blurays and encode with Handbrake using custom settings. The encodes are stored on my server which uses Jellyfin to serve them out to various devices in the house, most of them being Rokus.

I used to use Plex but if the internet connection is down it's impossible to stream anything from my server since the login and authentication between devices and my server is through the Plex web servers. It's a completely stupid requirement and an inconvenience as all traffic is local to the house.

This is why I've never used Plex and why I never will. Some people may be OK with a ring in their nose but not me.

Back