RIP Logitech G7, Time For New Mouse

FrostBite

[H]ard|Gawd
My Logitech G7 is on it's last legs, and is finally giving out after nearly a decade of use. I've been looking at mice for the last 3-4 days, I'm having a hard time matching something similar, and most B&M stores around me don't have a good display selection of mice. So far, in terms of feel and shape, it looks like the G7 and MX518 were similar, and the MX518 is similar to the G400s; I'm not interested in going wireless anymore. The G500s supposedly "different" in terms of feel and shape to the G400. I hold the mouse and push with my palm, and play a lot of FPS and MOBA's. If you used a G7 before, what did you end up going to that felt quite similar?

Last edited:
I own the G400, G500, G9, G700 and now the G502 (I have a mouse fetish :D ) and think by far the best is the G502. Its a good size for palm or claw style grips and has a superb sensor, the best one Ive seen on a Logitech mouse. The G400 I didnt like that much and let my little boy use it mainly. I never could get a comfortable grip with it. The G500 is a little too big for my hands so I dont use it much.

The Razer DeathAdder is my all time favorite gaming mouse. Pretty much perfect shape for my hand and an excellent sensor. Ive got both the 3.5G model and the 2013 and I actually prefer the 3.5G better. The sensor is better in the 2013 but I like the smooth texture of the 3.5G over the rough texture of the 2013 but thats a personal preference and YMMV. Definitely worth checking out but I think you might like the G502 a little better especially if youre looking for something similar to the G400. Its creeping in on the DeathAdder as my all time favorite.

SteelSeries Sensei Raw is also an excellent mouse that can usually be found around $40-50.

Check out Best Buy. My local stores have several mice out on display for you to feel up.

The best mouse I've had (and currently use) is the Logitech G700.

Absolutely love this thing. It is a wireless mouse, but it has a USB recharging cord that conforms to the shape of the mouse, so you can use it wired 100% of the time if you wish.

It has a handful of multifunction buttons, feels really good in hand, and is customizable with a number of profiles to assign different commands/macros to the different buttons. The scroll wheel can be freed so it can spin for fast scrolling, which is one of my favorite features.

I have the older model which goes from 200-5400 DPI, but the new one goes up to 8200 (if you need all that) and some other beefed up specs. I especially like it because it has a bluetooth receiver which can be stowed inside the battery compartment, so when I need to get some work done on my laptop, I can just throw the receiver into my Macbook and go.

I don't game much anymore, but I used to and it was nice with this thing.

Looks like they put some silly decals on the newer model, mine is just a straight carbon color, but same mouse otherwise.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g700s-rechargable-wireless-gaming-mouse

Last edited:
I agree the G700 is a really good mouse. I love mine and use it often. The sensor is kinda weird as its toward the front of the mouse instead of more in the middle and it takes a little getting used to. Not a big deal after a little time with it though. The USB cord is kind of a pain too cause its as thick as a garden hose and can be a little cumbersome when used wired. But get you some good Sanyo eneloops and then plug the charger in when youre done for the day and you should be good to go. Thats how I do mine and I dont usually have the batteries die on me in the middle of a game.

Its a little bit bigger mouse but its a really good shape and I didnt have a problem getting used to it. Its much better than the G500 for me.

I have the G700s and love it. Only complaint is the battery it comes with dies pretty quickly. Replace it with a higher capacity one like the Eneloops the poster above suggested and you should be good all day. The polling rate is adjustable so you can save battery life if needed, up to a maximum of 1000Hz. In my opinion the 500Hz setting is good enough for just about everything at a display refresh rate of 144Hz.

I really love the on-the-fly DPI adjustment on this mouse. With the profiling software you can change the five DPI presets to cycle through, and this can even be tied to a game's profile so you get fine DPI control depending on the game you're playing at the time.

I love the G700s that I have. It is currently on sale at Amazon for $50 (50% off) which puts it cheaper than most of the wired mice listed (G400s, G500s, G502 are all more expensive currently). Also the G700s supports data over cable, so if you really don't want the lag (I don't notice any, but some people swear they do still) just leave it plugged in all the time and it is the same as a wired mouse.

I think at the sale price at Amazon the G700s can't be beat. Keep in mind the battery life is pretty poor, 1 day at best when gaming.

I have the G700s and love it. Only complaint is the battery it comes with dies pretty quickly. Replace it with a higher capacity one like the Eneloops the poster above suggested and you should be good all day.

($50, Black Friday) My G700s actually came with an Eneloop battery. I don't ever leave it unplugged for more than 24 hours, and I've never used it wirelessly for more than 8 hours - but I'm not sure the battery has ever even been low (1000hz).

It's actually a great mouse (For 2560 x 1440 resolution, I've adapted to high-sensitivity on hard mouse pads or at least the faster cloth pads), and wireless mode works well.

I've become used to the side-button arrangement. It works for me.

Complaints:
- Stock cable is too stiff (replaced with slimmer / flexible cable).
- Rough texture wears off and traps grime = difficult to clean
- Mouse wheel seems to be difficult to side-scroll to the right (and clunky to press down into the plane of the mousepad). It also feels wobbly compared to the G9x wheel. G9x wheel was great. This wheel is sub-par, even if it does spin freely.
- Large mouse... not going to feel sleek and sporty like my DeathAdder or the old Intellimouse.

I reluctantly accepted a G502 Proteus Core from Logitech when I opened an RMA for an issue I was having with my G500s (apparently the G500s is discontinued so they offered me a G502 instead).

I say reluctantly because I'm a long time MX518 user and the G502 looks quite different.

Long story short, the G502 is the best mouse I've used to date. The construction is very solid and the braided cable is the best I've seen (very flexible / none of that rigidness you find in a lot of braided cables). The sensor is amazing with not even the slightest hint of acceleration. Most importantly, the feel of the mouse in my hand is almost perfect (this is saying something considering I went into using this mouse with a pretty closed mind having used an MX518 style for so long).

Agreed. It's my new favorite mouse of all time. Have you tried the sniper button yet? It's actually pretty damn cool. I have mine set at 800 dpi and it's a lot handier than I thought it would've been.

I've been pretty busy with school so I haven't had a chance to test all the features yet. Hoping to try out the sniper button and play around with the weights a bit this weekend if time allows.

I'm pretty happy with my Mionix Avior 7000 - optical mouse, smooth as butter. It's picky about mouse surfaces though (it doesn't like my leather couch!) but loves my Zalman aluminum mouse surface (90% on surface analysis test).

It's amazing with my 4K monitor.

I reluctantly accepted a G502 Proteus Core from Logitech when I opened an RMA for an issue I was having with my G500s (apparently the G500s is discontinued so they offered me a G502 instead).

I say reluctantly because I'm a long time MX518 user and the G502 looks quite different.

Long story short, the G502 is the best mouse I've used to date. The construction is very solid and the braided cable is the best I've seen (very flexible / none of that rigidness you find in a lot of braided cables). The sensor is amazing with not even the slightest hint of acceleration. Most importantly, the feel of the mouse in my hand is almost perfect (this is saying something considering I went into using this mouse with a pretty closed mind having used an MX518 style for so long).

That's exactly what I needed to hear. Long time 510/518 user and my G500 is exhibiting a double hit issue on left click sometimes which is really throwing me off. Been eying the 602 but looks a bit large and not sure wireless is good enough yet and the 502 looks weird. Will pick up a 502 after work and hope for the best.

I didn't even know about this mouse The Proteus until doing some google searches for mouse feet on my G500. The only thing I'm not sold on are the narrow click buttons but I haven't tired it yet
plus it's like 79.00 everywhere was looking for a refurb on ebay or something...

Back