Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

So I could give a shit about PVP, but how is the end-game raiding content? Thinking about picking this up

So I could give a shit about PVP, but how is the end-game raiding content? Thinking about picking this up

When I played Rift the raiding was top notch as far as quality goes and there was plenty of it. If you have ever played WoW the boss fights are just as good and the new expansion ramps it up a notch by actually thinking out of the box a bit. You can play all the way to level 20 for free so you can find a raiding guild just by running to town and asking.

I too am just tired of playing MMO's and I have a 390 game Steam backlog. I'll probably subscribe to check out the new content and experience a boss fight I saw in a video that was ultra cool.

When I played Rift the raiding was top notch as far as quality goes and there was plenty of it. If you have ever played WoW the boss fights are just as good and the new expansion ramps it up a notch by actually thinking out of the box a bit. You can play all the way to level 20 for free so you can find a raiding guild just by running to town and asking.

I too am just tired of playing MMO's and I have a 390 game Steam backlog. I'll probably subscribe to check out the new content and experience a boss fight I saw in a video that was ultra cool.

edit: found it

thank you!

okay so it's all downloaded. That being said, I have ZERO idea what I'm doing in terms of class picking and "purpose" and all that. I picked a mage and saw that I can heal when doing DPS, is that as OP as I'm thinking? Keep in mind, I am trying to raid with this. So I was thinking either a tank or a healer, everyone always needs those. So I will probably make both. But is a mage worthless as a "healer"? Is it better just to go all out DPS? Again, no idea what I'm doing

Also I am on Wolfsbane, but don't know the difference between choosing Guardian and Defiance...so....

okay so it's all downloaded. That being said, I have ZERO idea what I'm doing in terms of class picking and "purpose" and all that. I picked a mage and saw that I can heal when doing DPS, is that as OP as I'm thinking? Keep in mind, I am trying to raid with this. So I was thinking either a tank or a healer, everyone always needs those. So I will probably make both. But is a mage worthless as a "healer"? Is it better just to go all out DPS? Again, no idea what I'm doing

No it isn't OP and no it isn't worthless. So Mage healies are maintenance healies. You tend to suck at direct healing, having only a few abilities you can use, many with long cool downs. You can do it, but not well. What you do is continually heal the whole raid automatically. It takes the stress off the cleric healies, who focus on more directed healing.

Also you don't have to "go" anything. You get six total specs. While the higher number specs cost a bit specs two and three are quite cheap. So you can have a solo spec, a heal spec and a DPS spec no problem. Later you can have even more variations.

At any rate mage healies are plenty useful. You tend to use more cleric healies in raids, but people would like at least one mage healy.

No it isn't OP and no it isn't worthless. So Mage healies are maintenance healies. You tend to suck at direct healing, having only a few abilities you can use, many with long cool downs. You can do it, but not well. What you do is continually heal the whole raid automatically. It takes the stress off the cleric healies, who focus on more directed healing.

Also you don't have to "go" anything. You get six total specs. While the higher number specs cost a bit specs two and three are quite cheap. So you can have a solo spec, a heal spec and a DPS spec no problem. Later you can have even more variations.

At any rate mage healies are plenty useful. You tend to use more cleric healies in raids, but people would like at least one mage healy.

Cool, so basically it doesn't matter what I pick at character creation because I can change it later on anyway?

Edit: Also, Guardians and the other (forgot what it's called, I'm at work) can't group together I'm assuming and that's what the pvp is?

Cool, so basically it doesn't matter what I pick at character creation because I can change it later on anyway?

Edit: Also, Guardians and the other (forgot what it's called, I'm at work) can't group together I'm assuming and that's what the pvp is?

Correct.

And correct.

You can respec at any time for a fee.

And mage healing also blows because you have to standing still to dps to heal. And that really sucks on some fights where you have to stop dps for a while or you damage yourself.

I myself play a rogue so I can tank, dps, or support. I have 2 tank specs, 1 dps spec, 1 support spec, 1 solo spec, and 1 stealth spec. Having the 6 different specs adds a lot of flexibility. I mostly tank except for some of the ten mans where you only need 1 tank for that boss.

Once you get to level 50 you begin a whole new type of leveling called planar atonement.

didn't like Rift, but as far as objective quality it's great and the dev team is THE best. i will be giving their next mmo a chance, but this one was too much of a WoW clone for the quality to carry it. i'm just personally done with World of Warcraft.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Great game with tons of polish and trion rocks but at the end of the day It's more of the same. I lounge the game bit it just can't hold my interest. I'm trying to hit 50 and see if it holds my interest then but it feels like a chore .

Mage healers are the best raid healers in the game and can only be beat by the burst of cleric "icar" specs. Mage healing does suffer a little on movement heavy fights, but we have abilities that allow us to heal through it like Radiant Spores, Whithering Vines, Ruin Flourish, Bloom, and Opportunity procs if you're specced into Warlock.

Mages are also the preferred tank healers, unless you're progressing through ID right now, where 51 Purifier (cleric soul) is more effective. Now that some guilds are gearing up in ID gear, a 51 Puri isn't needed as much. Reason a mage healer is chosen over cleric is because of the DPS you do while you heal, even though smaller than a DPS class, it does help shorten the lengths of fights. Clerics can compare through Senticar, which is comparable.

Mages are always wanted in groups due to their support, healing and DPS. One archon is always needed in a 20 man group as it provides a huge raid wide DPS boost.

Mages are a lot of fun, I've progressed furthest in content with mine because it's such a fun class to play. If you play Defiant on Wolfsbane I can give you some pointers ingame.

Mage healers are the best raid healers in the game and can only be beat by the burst of cleric "icar" specs. Mage healing does suffer a little on movement heavy fights, but we have abilities that allow us to heal through it like Radiant Spores, Whithering Vines, Ruin Flourish, Bloom, and Opportunity procs if you're specced into Warlock.

Mages are also the preferred tank healers, unless you're progressing through ID right now, where 51 Purifier (cleric soul) is more effective. Now that some guilds are gearing up in ID gear, a 51 Puri isn't needed as much. Reason a mage healer is chosen over cleric is because of the DPS you do while you heal, even though smaller than a DPS class, it does help shorten the lengths of fights. Clerics can compare through Senticar, which is comparable.

Mages are always wanted in groups due to their support, healing and DPS. One archon is always needed in a 20 man group as it provides a huge raid wide DPS boost.

Mages are a lot of fun, I've progressed furthest in content with mine because it's such a fun class to play. If you play Defiant on Wolfsbane I can give you some pointers ingame.

Don't know how true that all is really. Plenty of classes/roles can easily be swapped out for equal level benefit.

Our guild always had clerics on MT and OT heals, usually Purifiers with maxed out shields, and we never ran into issues at all. Chloro's were used for AOE heal backups and never had issue. Icars are also good for AOE healing, but not many wanted to play them oddly enough.

A chloro can MT heal, but I've rarely, if ever, seen it happen in end game to date. Then again, if something is working, there's no need to change it out, and we've not had issues thus far as a casual raiding group. (10/11 HK to date and slowly working on Squiddy and getting enough hit to head into ID).

Don't know how true that all is really. Plenty of classes/roles can easily be swapped out for equal level benefit.

Our guild always had clerics on MT and OT heals, usually Purifiers with maxed out shields, and we never ran into issues at all. Chloro's were used for AOE heal backups and never had issue. Icars are also good for AOE healing, but not many wanted to play them oddly enough.

A chloro can MT heal, but I've rarely, if ever, seen it happen in end game to date. Then again, if something is working, there's no need to change it out, and we've not had issues thus far as a casual raiding group. (10/11 HK to date and slowly working on Squiddy and getting enough hit to head into ID).

I used to MT heal as a mage but that was just before SWTOR came out. It was fun and challenging but I did it quite well. You should have one of your mages try it some in a raid. :)

Everything in the first, third and fourth paragraphs are true.

To swap out different classes and roles doesn't yield an equal level benefit, ever see a cleric DPS? 99% of the time you're better off with any other class as DPS than having a cleric.

The effectiveness of 51 Puri vs 51 Chloro on MT/OT can debated, but your raid comp and gear level factor into it a lot. If you are progressing through content, yes 51 Puri does offer better tank healing and stability. However, as you gain gear from that content and begin to push into the next tier, 51 Puri is simply not needed for tank healing. Even in HK you don't need it as much anymore due to all the nerfs that have done to it.

Just because you haven't seen chloros MT heal in end game, doesn't it isn't popular. I've MT healed all tier 1 raids and majority of raids I run have at least one mage tank healing.

Regardless, my whole point is mages are perfectly viable to have as raid or tank healers, since someone posted earlier "their heals suck." I was merely pointing out the fallacy in that statement.

Chloros are way more efficient than clerics in most encounters, but good mages are incredibly hard to come by in this game.

Played a Cleric when Rift was released, quit two months after, due to just getting bored. Was digging through some of my site backup images and found a couple neat ones though. :)

Couple of damage meters before addons were in the game. (I stopped playing before they were released). Note the damage and heals... Clerics were awesome!
YP8hD.jpg

gVivA.jpg

Some Port o' Scion.
8SOHP.jpg

k2bLA.jpg

Shard first rank 6 gear. IIRC, I got shard first on another piece but apparently didn't take a SS.
PbROc.jpg

This game was fun. Played the shit out of it too much though which caused me to get burnt out. Definitely one of my favorite MMOs, and I've pretty much played every one after FFXI.

RIFT is running a promotional free "Weekend+", from July 25-29! While players new and old can always enjoy RIFT Lite entirely for free and play up to Level 20 for as long as they like on as many characters as they like, this promotion reactivates your account at the full subscriber rank, allowing you to play your old characters even if they're 20+!

Lots of new content has arrived and RIFT is currently on patch 1.9, "Conquest" introducing the new 3-Faction Conquest PVP system, Mentoring, (in game currency only) Barbershops, a new Live Event, Camping, new 10-man raid/Sliver, and more! You can also read what has been added in past patches since you've been gone.
http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/updates/conquest.php
http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/updates/conquest-events.php

Anyone in RIFT Lite who would like a little boost and/or is enjoying themselves and thinking of purchasing, I can offer Ascend-A-Friend recruitment bonuses! Just send me a PM and let me know either before you start playing entirely, or while you're still on RIFT Lite BEFORE you register a full account key! I may even have a cheap account key available for you or other prizes!

I have 2 50's 1 48 and a 28.
I quit because they have made pvp the ultimate control of all skills.
I healed as druid, shaman and pally in wow but healing in rift is a joke (in my opinion)
Overall they have lost most players and just make enough to keep going.
They can patch till the cows come home but until they try to fix what doesn't work its a joke game.
Again the fan boys will say no but I don't care.

Played a Cleric when Rift was released, quit two months after, due to just getting bored. Was digging through some of my site backup images and found a couple neat ones though. :)

*snip*

This game was fun. Played the shit out of it too much though which caused me to get burnt out. Definitely one of my favorite MMOs, and I've pretty much played every one after FFXI.

A comment on your DPS and heals, early on 'icars were way OP, if played correctly (looks like you knew what you were doing). It was pretty common to be top in heals and dps in pvp setting. I generally went straight heals for PvP on my cleric. Warden/Sent.

I too played the hell out of it and got burnt out a bit. Though I may resub for just one month to tide me over to GW2.

I have 2 50's 1 48 and a 28.
I quit because they have made pvp the ultimate control of all skills.
I healed as druid, shaman and pally in wow but healing in rift is a joke (in my opinion)
Overall they have lost most players and just make enough to keep going.
They can patch till the cows come home but until they try to fix what doesn't work its a joke game.
Again the fan boys will say no but I don't care.

Healing in Rift is way better than WoW. I raided and PVP'd on all healing classes in WoW (Druid, Priest, Shammy, Pally), though not too much on the Pally. I also PVP'd and raided (not much raiding though) on both Clerics and Mages in Rift. I liked Rifts healing mechanics better. Rift had some major class balance issues but overall the healing in Rift l liked better. It felt like I made much more of a difference in Rift than I did in WoW, especially in battlegrounds/warfronts. As a healer, that is what we like, making a noticeable difference to the team.

Thinking of getting this game since I'm so bored with guild wars 2 lately, I just have a few questions:
How does the ascend-a-friend work and also, I was thinking of putting up a WTB thread on the FS/T subforum to save money instead of getting a new account, that is possible right? Lastly, do I have to buy the original game AND the expansion to play? I am not quite sure.

Thanks a lot. I'm debating between this one or the secret world.

Ascend a friend works in that someone gives you a key you enter for your trial (you don't need one to have a trial though). Then, if you sub, you both get a bonus. The most notable is you can, once an hour, summon the other person to your location which teleports them if they accept. Quite useful.

You don't need the expansion to start playing. You can do the 1st 20 levels as a trial, the next 30 on the main game, the final 10 require the expansion. Do note that as a trial you are restricted to the trial only server so you won't be able to play with your friends on other servers. However you can transfer servers when you upgrade.

How to decide whether or not you should play RIFT.

A) Do you enjoy World of Warcraft? If so, play WoW
B) Do you dislike WoW? If so, this game is not for you.
C) Are you a WoW vet that dont like WoW anymore but want a carbon copy? If so, fire up RIFT.

Ascend a friend works in that someone gives you a key you enter for your trial (you don't need one to have a trial though). Then, if you sub, you both get a bonus. The most notable is you can, once an hour, summon the other person to your location which teleports them if they accept. Quite useful.

You don't need the expansion to start playing. You can do the 1st 20 levels as a trial, the next 30 on the main game, the final 10 require the expansion. Do note that as a trial you are restricted to the trial only server so you won't be able to play with your friends on other servers. However you can transfer servers when you upgrade.

Thanks, I recently got contact with someone selling their game with Ashes of History CE for $20. I'm thinking that maybe I should do the trial first then apply the serial from his game? Then if I decide to get through with it get the expansion?

Does that make sense? Also, since I haven't signed up yet, I should sign up through someone's key right?

Thanks, I recently got contact with someone selling their game with Ashes of History CE for $20. I'm thinking that maybe I should do the trial first then apply the serial from his game? Then if I decide to get through with it get the expansion?

Does that make sense? Also, since I haven't signed up yet, I should sign up through someone's key right?

Well if you want to buy someone's game, I think you have to buy their account, which means no signing up yourself. You'll be buying their username/password. I don't think Trion allows that, so just beware that it is possible if they notice it you get the account shut down.

If you are going to buy it yourself, then you can either sign up with or without someone. If you don't have any friends that play Rift then there isn't as much reason to do it. However you still can. It provides minor benefits to you, mostly if you play on their server, and some benefits to them too.

I'll PM you the Ascend a friend thing for me if you like.

Well if you want to buy someone's game, I think you have to buy their account, which means no signing up yourself. You'll be buying their username/password. I don't think Trion allows that, so just beware that it is possible if they notice it you get the account shut down.

If you are going to buy it yourself, then you can either sign up with or without someone. If you don't have any friends that play Rift then there isn't as much reason to do it. However you still can. It provides minor benefits to you, mostly if you play on their server, and some benefits to them too.

I'll PM you the Ascend a friend thing for me if you like.

This, plus Ashes of History is not really an expansion, more like paid DLC that gives you faction based costumes and a spider mount. Of course I have it, but I am a RIFT whore, with the next two years paid already for the game.

The expansion is Storm Legion, you may be best trying to Ascend a Friend, then if you like it out right buying Storm Legion (I believe it comes with the original game now, but I may be wrong). It will probably be more than $20, but the account with be in your name, under your control, no fear of anyone trying to recall it through customer service using their personal information.

If you or anyone else is a late night raider / player, I am an Elder (secondary leader) for a Wolfsbane guild named Fearless. We raid three days a week, not mandatory, at 10PM ST, which is 10PM PST.

Feel free to message Naraku (me) or Colue (leader) if you do want to give us a try. :)

How to decide whether or not you should play RIFT.

A) Do you enjoy World of Warcraft? If so, play WoW
B) Do you dislike WoW? If so, this game is not for you.
C) Are you a WoW vet that dont like WoW anymore but want a carbon copy? If so, fire up RIFT.

MMORPG.com review of Rift:Storm Legion

MMORPG.com's review of WoW:Mists of Pandaria

TenTonHammer Review of Rift:Storm Legion

TenTonHammer Review of WoW: Mists of Pandaria

Rift Storm Legion (the bigger, beefier review) - [a Wocky view] in 1080p - Rift YoutubeVideo

GW2 vs Rift vs WoW graphic & animation comparison [a Wocky view] Youtube Video (1080p avail.)

Rift has way better and more modern, much higher detail graphics than WoW for one thing. It's a different art style and not smurf cartoony like WoW. It also has robust, greatly refined (and completely modifiable) interface and refined action dynamics without resorting to 3rd party addons. The class system allows for a greater variety of class possibilities, and the fact that almost all of the classes can have a not just viable but excellent healing, tanking, or dps role is another advancement. There are a lot of improvements which is what subsequent MMOs should do. WoW copied many other mmos, and FPS franchises similarly copy each other - so saying copy this copy that doesn't mean much... in fact, it could be a compliment as long as it is copied + advanced/refined/improved. Rift's devs also seem to respond to feedback and improve more-so than WoW, adding content every few months.
Last time I looked, Rift was also slightly cheaper sub (9.99/month yearly), and you could get the game itself for fairly cheap at times. (I think I paid $4.99 for the original game). It also has free server moves.

When it comes down to it, play what games you like but don't be afraid to try something else - there are free to play "lite" versions of many mmo's where you can play a few characters to level 20 or so to get a taste of different games (not end-game obviously)...

Rift "Lite" free to play

World of Warcraft starter edition

Tera

Aeon

GuildWars2 Free Trial

Btw I did like WoW and played it for years but it changed a lot and I got tired of it's new format, its community, and its graphics. It still has an has always had great animations, something that doesn't come across in screenshots. Rift's animations are great too (I found LoTR online's world static and "mannequin" by comparison). I almost forgot another thing I love about rift - that there are no flying mounts.

during that same time like end of January I saw that my Rift account had like 3 days free time on it to come back (brilliant marketing) so I said what the hell.

I COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH HAS CHANGED. It's like a totally different game in a good way. It was the first MMO that I've seen in a while that had more content at 50 than it did from 1-49. Just amazed so far. I'm now about in my 2nd or 3rd week back to Rift, I signed up for 1 year (was only $99 bucks) and having a blast.

This game has the most mature and helpful community of any MMO I've ever played.

I've met so few hormone-driven angry-at-the-world teenagers it's fantastic.
I can actually have a decent conversation with people.

Definitely couldn't do that in certain other games.

Last edited:
MMORPG.com review of Rift:Storm Legion

MMORPG.com's review of WoW:Mists of Pandaria

TenTonHammer Review of Rift:Storm Legion

TenTonHammer Review of WoW: Mists of Pandaria

Rift Storm Legion (the bigger, beefier review) - [a Wocky view] in 1080p - Rift YoutubeVideo

GW2 vs Rift vs WoW graphic & animation comparison [a Wocky view] Youtube Video (1080p avail.)

Rift has way better and more modern, much higher detail graphics than WoW for one thing. It's a different art style and not smurf cartoony like WoW. It also has robust, greatly refined (and completely modifiable) interface and refined action dynamics without resorting to 3rd party addons. The class system allows for a greater variety of class possibilities, and the fact that almost all of the classes can have a not just viable but excellent healing, tanking, or dps role is another advancement. There are a lot of improvements which is what subsequent MMOs should do. WoW copied many other mmos, and FPS franchises similarly copy each other - so saying copy this copy that doesn't mean much... in fact, it could be a compliment as long as it is copied + advanced/refined/improved. Rift's devs also seem to respond to feedback and improve more-so than WoW, adding content every few months.

Ok for those that may be new to gaming or just dont understand, Graphics = meaningless. Good graphics can compliment a good game but when your whole comparison is "it has better graphics and blah blah rift souls are so not talent trees that wow had from 2004-2012 not at all sir!" i really have to wonder if you are trolling or serious.

Oh and lol at using graphics as your comparison considering you are comparing a game thats 7 years newer... Come back in 7 years and tell me how well Rifts graphics have aged. People always bash WoWs "cartoonish" graphics and its hilarious because A) those shitty cartoon graphics have aged very well and B) its pretty clear that graphics mean shit in an MMO considering that every other MMO since 2003 is technically superior to WoW in graphics and yet WoW and its shitty cartoon graphics continues to pummel the fuck out of them all. :rolleyes:

Last time I looked, Rift was also slightly cheaper sub (9.99/month yearly), and you could get the game itself for fairly cheap at times. (I think I paid $4.99 for the original game). It also has free server moves.

Of course it is, all shit MMOs do this. They want you to hurry up and pony up that full year sub while you are still in the honeymoon phase. That way when you quit within 3 months like the majority of the players do they still get your money.

When it comes down to it, play what games you like but don't be afraid to try something else - there are free to play "lite" versions of many mmo's where you can play a few characters to level 20 or so to get a taste of different games (not end-game obviously)...

Yes, of course, play what you like.

I dont think RIFT is a terrible game, the problem is like all the rest it promised so much that was supposed to be "new" and "unique" and churned out yet another WoW clone except with RIFT it was such a blatant clone that it was almost sickening at times.

I just remember playing the game and getting hosed by an invasion in a dead zone (Great fucking idea BTW... NOT) and losing my quest hub and just thinking "This is all so damn similar why dont i just play WoW and get the benefit of a MUCH healthier community".

On a side note thats one thing im sick to death of in the genre... Making your game revolve around features that require a huge population present in the zone.

Many good elements in games are repeated in subsequent games. That goes for FPShooters too. How many games have capture the flag? How many kneel, reload, or alter aim based on whether targeting reticule is held up to your eye? How many allow you to patch yourself/heal using kits or potions? Slower walk speeds when injured? Armor buffs? How many have tombstones and/or types of resurrection? Respawn time outs?

Lots of RPGS had skill sets/trees. Blizzard's own diablo 1 and 2 helped popularize its usage, , and many other rpg games implemented it. Even ultima online has some skill point use, and dark age of camelot and everquest. Other notables.. Titans' Quest, Heroes of Might & Magic, Wizardry VIII, Spell Force 2, Divinity 2, Sacred2, ... More modern one's like borderland's 1 & 2, Torchlight, DragonAge(s), Witcher 1 & 2, Path of the Exile, Runes of Magic, Mass Effect games, KOTR 1 & 2. As I said in my original post, games build on ideas of other games.
All mmo's built on AD&D and table top rpgs , M.U.D.s, other older single player computer/console rpgs, and earlier MMOs. WoW refined it further. Rift refined it further still but WoW is much more popular. Just because WoW is popular doesn't make it a better game in itself. AoL was popular, Facebook is popular. I think both of them suck (AoL and FB), but they pander to the masses.
.. I did enjoy WoW for a number of years and clearly said so. I never called it shit. Your original post and this subsequent one are filled with virulence that smack of fanatic/fanboism. WoW's graphics are primitive but stylized, (and yes - I find them similar to the smurfs cartoon style in ways). I also mentioned that it has good animations compared to many games. I play some games with less demanding graphics and find them fun. I think Rift is more refined and polished than wow across the board. The better graphics just add to the gap and are much welcomed. WoW's systems and mechanics changed a lot over the years and I got tired of it + its community. It's dated graphics just added to that when there are other more refined game options that imo push the genre forward, whether the AoL/Facebook of MMO's (popularity/peers and marketing) crowd picks up on it or not.
If in even a few years (let alone 7) a MMO comes out that further refines the genre positively and happens to have much better graphics, of course I would try it out and play it, whether or not it happens to be blizzard's next one. I'm not religiously tied to these games or Devs, though I do appreciate the devs works. Much like Doom and Quakes were great, but have long been surpassed. That doesn't mean they aren't good games or fun games.

Last edited:
Back