Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

Speaking of -- Coinlocking is the best idea ever. Agree or disagree?

I think it's definitely a good idea. Unfortunately her account was cleared before they implemented it. They still need to work out a few kinks with IP locations, but it certainly helps account security. And even if something messes up and coin-locks you wrongly, it only takes 20 seconds to input the code.

I'm on Faeblight with my girlfriend. Have a 39 mage, 33 rogue, 26 cleric, and a 20 warrior. Although I haven't played much lately because I'm waiting for my girlfriend's compromised account to be fixed so we can play together. Hopefully it's fixed soon.

Are you guys on Guardian or Defiant side? Also I think coin lock is great.

Coinlock is awesome but they need to implement IP bans for goldfarming spammers. As it is they just ban accounts and the spammers get new ones.

Coinlock is awesome but they need to implement IP bans for goldfarming spammers. As it is they just ban accounts and the spammers get new ones.

Getting a new IP is easy as hell. Even if they manage to ban all of the bad IPs a couple cheap proxies later and they are right back on spamming and farming.

Its a never ending game of cat and mouse. I would rather the resources went to better things like new content because you can never beat the farmers.

lol I don't play this sort of game but sad that gold farming is already a problem. rmt destroys games.

What FPS are you'll getting in the game? I get like 19 at low settings and 1680x1050.

Shouldn't it be better than that with 460 SLI?

What FPS are you'll getting in the game? I get like 19 at low settings and 1680x1050.

Might be your CPU. Rift seems to need a reasonable amount of CPU, and unfortunately it it doesn't use more cores so well. So you might just need a faster CPU to up the FPS.

Yeah my friend was using a MB that didn't support his cpu running at 1.5ghz instead of 2.5ghz and when i gave him my old MB that did hes able to run ultra with decent fps.

I have a single 460 and play at 1920x1200 and get 30fps+

I set the settings to ultra but then also tweaked a few sliders upwards too.

They know about the performance issues and are working on it. There are tons of threads about it on their forums.

Turn AF all the way down for now. For whatewr reason it has a huge impact on this game.

I turned AA on and didn't see any change any performance. My FPS is as smooth as it's always been.

I've been messing around with setting view distances higher than you can via the dialogue in the rift.cfg file. Has potential. Haven't found the middle ground yet, though.

Not sure what's wrong yet. I get 25 fps if I put it on minimum, and 19 fps on ultra with 16x sli supersampling, 64x SLI AA, 16x AF, all sliders ingame to max, no vsync, no trilinear. In my first post I hadn't tried the Nvidia Control Panel; it made somewhat of a difference. So thanks!

Like you'll said maybe I've just run across a single threaded game that just doesn't like my cpu. I get 60 fps in BF:BC2 with all eye candy on (not sure about HBAO... Can't remember if I left that on or not). Just can't see why I'm stuck at 25 fps staring at a corner and steady dropping if I view a light source or move.

I'll play with more settings to see if I can make this mule go!

Like you'll said maybe I've just run across a single threaded game that just doesn't like my cpu.

That's what I'm really betting on. I've looked at Rift's CPU usage and it is heavy on one core, light on the rest. It isn't purely single thread, but it is not making efficient use of all my cores. BC2 on the other hand, it loves some quad core. Uses them all heavily.

Also every time I've seen a higher FPS report, it comes from someone with an i7 type computer. The lower ones seem to be like you and me with Core 2s. Given that your C2 is even older than mine, and a lower clock I'm betting that is the problem. You are CPU limited. Shouldn't be that way, but there you go.

If you are interested I'm getting an i7-2600 next week so I can do some before/after benchmarks and let you know. You'll probably have to PM me to remind me though. :p I've got a single 5870, so nowhere near your GPU power, but still.

Maybe you should consider budgeting for a CPU upgrade. The SBs are just killer CPUs from the look at it and the Q6600 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm sure we'll start slowly seeing more demanding games out there. Shogun 2 is also reported to be a CPU hug, even though it does use multiple cores.

Might be worth looking at a core upgrade when such a thing is feasible.

Yes, I'd be greatly interested in hearing how your new cpu does. Thank you!

i heard this game is gpu heavy while bc2 is cpu heavy. to me it makes no sense you are getting frames that low. i know shadows and af with this game takes a big hit in performance.

I think I'm better served by reading the entire thread, but how is Rift several weeks after launch? I got some friends asking me to join them and despite enjoying the beta, the bad taste of Aion and Warhammer is still in my mouth and with that my sense of hesitation. I was going to wait for SWTOR but at this point I'll make an exception.

I am a active WoW player but getting rather bored of it again. Its still probably too early to tell but is end-game casual friendly enough? I'll like to partake in it if its interesting enough but not exactly willing to commit to 4+ hr raids.

Is the LE worth it? Or should I just get the regular version?

Collector's edition gets you a mount from more or less the start (level 6 or 7, at ark, via the mailbox). Makes getting around easier, especially when you're trying to do rift rades earlier on -- around level 20. That's the only real benefit.

i heard this game is gpu heavy while bc2 is cpu heavy. to me it makes no sense you are getting frames that low. i know shadows and af with this game takes a big hit in performance.

For pvp I like to have the most amount of frames possible. The difference between the Minimum setting and Ultra is 5fps. At the suggestion of others in the thread I adjusted the AA and AF settings using the Nvidia control panel. I can max everything in the Nvidia control panel and still get the same fps. Supersampling drops my fps from 21 to 19.

Maybe there's some process running on my PC that is screwing with my fps in this game. I'm going to try to hook up my second monitor I have laying around and monitor it tonight when I have a chance to login.

But yes I play Civ 5, BF:BC2, Metro 2033, WoW, Aion, Supreme Commander 2, Warhammer 40k, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands, L4D2, etc with all setting at max or close to it without any problems. But I just can't get above 19 - 25 fps in this game regardless of eye candy. Using 1 GPU or 2 GPU's doesn't make a difference either.

The only game that gave me this many fps problems was APB in a full 10 vs 10 firefight. I always chalked that up to the shoddy programming in APB. Rift is a much more polished game so it's probably something on my end.

BTW my Q6600 is at 2.8 as 2.9 - 3.2 it won't post. It posts at 3.3+ but it's unstable and will occassionally blue screen. Yea I got a dud.... :)

Collector's edition gets you a mount from more or less the start (level 6 or 7, at ark, via the mailbox). Makes getting around easier, especially when you're trying to do rift rades earlier on -- around level 20. That's the only real benefit.

And a bigger starting bag. More slots are always nice! There's a pet and some weapon enchant also. The difference in the 2 digital versions is $10. I wanted the physical box collector's, but it wasn't available in my area on March 1st. So I ended up with a regular edition and I can't complain a bit.

Pick a race that can leap every 15 secs to make up for the lack of a mount. :)

No weapon enchant that I'm aware of. Yes, pet (useless), and yes, it's nicer to have more slots, but that doesn't make a big difference. The mount is the important part.

There was some glowing weapon enchant or something... The Steam version had some hat that you had to play TF2 to unlock.. But it was all for looks basically and not important as you said. :)

I think I'm better served by reading the entire thread, but how is Rift several weeks after launch? I got some friends asking me to join them and despite enjoying the beta, the bad taste of Aion and Warhammer is still in my mouth and with that my sense of hesitation. I was going to wait for SWTOR but at this point I'll make an exception.

I am a active WoW player but getting rather bored of it again. Its still probably too early to tell but is end-game casual friendly enough? I'll like to partake in it if its interesting enough but not exactly willing to commit to 4+ hr raids.

It's still great. They are pushing out a large content patch here in a few days, and one of the big changes is the River of Souls event which looks like a server-wide event that takes place in all zones. I haven't tried it out myself on the Alpha test servers (their version of the PTR), but it looks pretty awesome and I've heard good things about it. First month of release, and they're already adding some neat stuff.

I can't really comment on the casual player question yet. I'm a casual player myself due to working 12-hour shifts at work, so I don't really play during those days, and I'm not 50 yet (I'm 44 now).

No weapon enchant that I'm aware of. Yes, pet (useless), and yes, it's nicer to have more slots, but that doesn't make a big difference. The mount is the important part.

There was some glowing weapon enchant or something... The Steam version had some hat that you had to play TF2 to unlock.. But it was all for looks basically and not important as you said. :)

The weapon enchant was +3 endurance...

Why have you cancelled your subscription?

Invasions and rifts are a novelty that get old rather quick... nothing new when compared to Warhammer Online. The classes are ok but kill any need to re-roll another which I think will lead to people leaving the game sooner. There isn't a lot of flavor with the zones (ex. one starting zone, one 10-20, one 20-29) etc that you must do each time with a new character... meaning you are doing everything the same once again).

Oh yeah... that new event is... another invasion.

Crafting is a sham in this game as well... worse than wow... which lead to a broken economy. In the end, how many rifts (they are all relatively the same minus minor differences) and invasions (again all relatively the same) does it take for them to grow old. Depends on the person... but I'm tired of it.

Yeah, don't think I'm going to make it past my third or fourth month at the rate we're going. I came to this realization when I was beating on the Claw (listening to his idiotic canned talk the whole time) with zero fear of dieing (along with like 20 other people) and we're all bored. Just sitting there, bitching about how bored we are and how ready we are to kill this stupid thing, which is just a waste of time to us, no real threat whatsoever. If I can't get the least bit excited about the mega-boss (and I'd never even seen that particular one before, but when you get down to it they're all the same) I must be getting jaded. Fast.

I've also yet to be interesting in actually using anything I've crafted, so that's more than a little annoying. That, and I dread leveling my "alts" (though I have 4, one of each class, and I don't really favor any one more than the others) cause as the guy above said, it's the same stupid grindfest all over again, no branching, no story alteration, nothing to make you want to play another character apart from different skills, which I don't appreciate that much.

I never did the pve much in the game even though my only 50 is on a pve server. Warfronts are the most fun in game that I can find. WoW raids conditioned me to wanting to take a nap as soon as I got the invite. So invasions and rifts are still fun to a degree since I only did them solo at level 50 to collect 7500 planar for my sigil.

I rerolled my mage onto a pvp server 2 days ago. Going to see how hard it is to level like that. But once again I just hang out in warfronts in general so I've yet to see any world pvp. :)

There is a world war event happening from wednesday. its going to be epci and will effect all zones.

I never did the pve much in the game even though my only 50 is on a pve server. Warfronts are the most fun in game that I can find. WoW raids conditioned me to wanting to take a nap as soon as I got the invite. So invasions and rifts are still fun to a degree since I only did them solo at level 50 to collect 7500 planar for my sigil.

I rerolled my mage onto a pvp server 2 days ago. Going to see how hard it is to level like that. But once again I just hang out in warfronts in general so I've yet to see any world pvp. :)

You wont see much, if any world PvP until you are in your 30s. Maybe a few ganks in your mid 20's but after 30 it starts to pick up. It's fun, adds a level of excitement.

A few of the things I do while leveling on a PVP server:
1. Expect to be ganked at any time. Don't get mad, PVP happens on a PVP server.
2. Roll an alt or two. I switch to an alt when people 10+ levels above deiced to kill me multiple times and camp an area. (Or if you have a guild, ask for help. Can lead to to some super fun PvP.)
3.AFK = Available For Kill.
4. Never trust red.

(The post that was here was removed due to the users inability to come up with something interesting to say.)

Finally got my pvp weapon on my 16 Defiant mage; not used to waiting in the long queues for warfronts on my Guardian 50 mage. So I hopped on my 50 and went to some warfronts to remember what being OP feels like. Met my friend on the Defiant side that I used to play Aion with. Since I was trying dominator spec out for the first time, I decided to make him my personal toy.

Squirrel, silence, slow, attack speed debuff, more slows, drain mana, more squirrel lol. At the end of the match I yelled out his Aion name and he knew who I was. Was a hoot!

The guild that I got invited to is all level 50's in full T1 / T2 epics and are raiding Greenscale. First thing they said was that if anyone messes with you call us. But I think I'd feel bad calling in some epicced out people to stop a ganking.

But I am going to bug my friend who is their main tank to help since he insisted I drop my 50 to come play with them. :)

I love it when im questing on my cleric leaving the guardians alone and they decide to attack me. Few mins later bam there dead and I go about my way. I even had a rogue try to gank me with a mob on me. Didn't turn out well for him. :D

Back