Rift: Planes of Telara... looking good! (MMORPG)

in-before-lock.gif

Hhahahaha! Stealing that gif. Great.

CBH...please chill. Some decent info being passed on that people may want to know about. Hate to have a 2nd thread started.

Flawed how? Your credentials as mathematician and scientist dissecting the engine itself eludes the most basic form of response.

c-ya

You don't need to be a scientist to know when things are not working correctly in a game or piece of software. Unless people WANT buggy games, then Gamebryo games are often filled with flaws.

You don't need to be a scientist to know when things are not working correctly in a game or piece of software. Unless people WANT buggy games, then Gamebryo games are often filled with flaws.

We'll let that be your little secrete since your degree can dispute the Gamebryo engine.

c-ya

^ x2

Has anyone been involved in any open world PvP? I've only played on a PvE server and I'm curious how it is.

It's pretty damn fun. When the cap was 27. Ran with a gang of about 75 Defiants. Ran to the Guardian zone near FC, and started closing their rifts. Killed the few people that were there already. They ran and got their daddy's. Killed their daddy's. They went and got their uncles and cousins.. Next thing we know we are looking at about 100 Guardians surrounding us. They killed a couple of us here, couple of us there...Now it's 100 to like 60 or so. All hell broke loose. We ran like Beelzebub was on our tail.

We got chased all the way back to our zone all the way thru the desert to our tele gate and quest hub...now THEY are looking at even odds. But they didn't run like we did. We wiped the floor with them. They should have ran.

Bad description...Great fun.

Unless someone does some advanced research with the Gamebryo engine we will not be able to determine if buggy games are result of the tool set or simply the developers using it. You can make a terrible and buggy game on any engine if you have bad coders so you need to be careful what assumptions you make about the engine itself.

Still it doesn't hurt to remain sceptical, Rift so far hasn't been that buggy and what bugs I've seen have been fixed incredibly fast, even if there are engine problems with Gamebryo, if the licence the rift team have they have for Rift allows source code modification they may even find and squash these bugs themselves.

Enough of the off-topic back and forth banter. One person has already earned a ban, and I would hate to have to close an almost 900 post thread just over a few individuals. Please keep your comments on-topic.

maybe im crazy or ive been playing WoW too much.

But I think the graphics look good. :confused:

Sheesh you don't need to have an advanced degree to play beta and see how the character movement and animations needs alot more polish.
-Gamebryo engine is hated (see Skyrim thread as 1 example). Look at the complaints on Rift forums itself.
-animations need work
-no audible sounds during combat, character just stands there fighting like a mute.
-Spell particle effects also need work, and would not hurt to improve the sound effects.
-Characters move weird when on mounts or running like their movements are slowed by swimming in water the way their legs and arms move

Looking forward to the last Beta.
Carry on.

Sheesh you don't need to have an advanced degree to play beta and see how the character movement and animations needs alot more polish.
-Gamebryo engine is hated (see Skyrim thread as 1 example). Look at the complaints on Rift forums itself.
-animations need work
-no audible sounds during combat, character just stands there fighting like a mute.
-Spell particle effects also need work, and would not hurt to improve the sound effects.
-Characters move weird when on mounts or running like their movements are slowed by swimming in water the way their legs and arms move

Looking forward to the last Beta.
Carry on.

i do feel some of the animations and sounds are lacklust but dont think i have seen many mmo's that provide a better experience. Guild wars 2 is the only game i see has a MUCH better animation and sound then any mmo i have seen,

Thank goodness that douche is gone. Now..Hows the grind in this game? Crafting?

No grind from 1-30 that I played so far. Leveling is easy if you do quests + warfronts in between. and crafting is mediocre to unimaginative.

Warfronts = exactly like WoW Arathi Basin and WSG down to the stupid clueless pugs that can't grasp the simplistic concept of the objectives to win.

I hope this is a joke post with all the defending for this game you've been doing. If not you can do a google search.

It's entirely possible someone might not know what they are due to having 0% interest in PVP and concentrating only on PVE and raiding/Rifts, etc. I know of them but I've never seen one and have no interest in it atm. I don't even know how to get there tbh.

Warfronts are the PVP battlegrounds that exist on all servers, whether PVP or PVE. :D

Warfronts are instanced fights that you queue for, just press K or use the menu at the bottom left. You can queue solo or as a group, when there is enough people the instance starts, you fight for a period of time with some objectives and then at the end you're rewarded exp and honour which is a sort of PvP currency you can spend on goodies at vendors in the main city. There's daily PvP quests and whatnot as well.

They're a good laugh, I particuarly like the map where you have to capture the fang it's really well made for that gametype and as an assassin even when we're losing badly I still tend to have fun. Warfronts tend to suffer the same problem that scenarios in WAR and Battlegrounds in WoW did. People would either twink out characters in WoW to dominate and in WAR the fights were always mismatched because the server would throw guild pre-mades against random pub groups and the pubs would get stomped about 90% of the time, so it made solo scenarios quite lame, if you went in with a guild they were good fun.

Warfronts are instanced fights that you queue for, just press K or use the menu at the bottom left. You can queue solo or as a group, when there is enough people the instance starts, you fight for a period of time with some objectives and then at the end you're rewarded exp and honour which is a sort of PvP currency you can spend on goodies at vendors in the main city. There's daily PvP quests and whatnot as well.

They're a good laugh, I particuarly like the map where you have to capture the fang it's really well made for that gametype and as an assassin even when we're losing badly I still tend to have fun. Warfronts tend to suffer the same problem that scenarios in WAR and Battlegrounds in WoW did. People would either twink out characters in WoW to dominate and in WAR the fights were always mismatched because the server would throw guild pre-mades against random pub groups and the pubs would get stomped about 90% of the time, so it made solo scenarios quite lame, if you went in with a guild they were good fun.

Also a big problem with warfronts is that one side tends to have 3-4 real good healers while the other has 1 who tries to heal maybe 2 if you're lucky. So other team can run around and fight more aggressively while the short stack cleric side is running out of mana or being gang banged by the enemy team to the point two clerics can't outheal the DPS.

A number of those were already implemented for Beta6, so they are probably from the middle of last week at the latest. I expect significantly more new changes in the Beta7 notes.

No nerfs to the flamespear nice. Can't wait to spam that all day in the next Beta and win over half my pvp fights.

Meh, my assassin seems to have a lot of unique animations and the additional ability effects as you attack are cool as well. There was less focus on animations on my mage when I played that, but the spell effects were varied and beautiful enough in their own right.

The animation does seem to suffer from being a bit jerky at times though, I don't think animation complexity exists in the graphics settings (from memory), maybe that's scaled by the engine based on performance? Dunno.

I'm not that picky about the simple animations of Rift cause I enjoy the game for what it is, entertainment.
I also like the mobs of people that group up to beat back the Rifts and invasions, enough entertainment for my liking :). Finally got around to pre-ordering also, can't wait till it releases now.

Tried it in the closed beta for a weekend or two. Yeah, nice graphics. Characters feel too "stiff" not very fluid at all to me. Actually I got bored with it after a couple of Beta weekends and uninstalled and not impressed. Felt a little like Guild Wars, with slower character animations. I liked being a mage/necro, but it just didn't feel like I was getting "into" it. I have been through GW, Conan, Lineage 2, WoW of course, and Everquest. (few other I am missing there) I like doing whole continents without a loading screen, just taking a ride across the landscape, no one has done this except WoW. Not enough deversity between races or landscapes in these new MMO's.

"YOUR NOT IN AZEROTH ANY MORE" No shit. You will be though.

*-Disclaimer-*Please this is just my own personal experience and how I feel, not trying to anger anyone, just an opinion. And yes I know the whole "wait till further levels to really see whats in here" routine. But if I can't get into after 10 or more levels, its not happening.*-Disclaimer-*

I'm not that picky about the simple animations of Rift cause I enjoy the game for what it is, entertainment.
I also like the mobs of people that group up to beat back the Rifts and invasions, enough entertainment for my liking :). Finally got around to pre-ordering also, can't wait till it releases now.

Ironic the video I posted about combat animations had a big subheading " putting the Entertainment back in mmos". Like saying you don't care about movie special effects/cgi because you only care about what the movie is for, entertainment. :D

Tried it in the closed beta for a weekend or two. Yeah, nice graphics. Characters feel too "stiff" not very fluid at all to me. Actually I got bored with it after a couple of Beta weekends and uninstalled and not impressed. Felt a little like Guild Wars, with slower character animations. I liked being a mage/necro, but it just didn't feel like I was getting "into" it.

I did the same thing my first play through. I uninstalled it. I fired it up again last beta and played all the way through mid 20s. The game starts getting fun at 15. The stiff non fluid movement is a big common complaint on Rift forums despite the fanboyism you read on here. I'm not sure if its inherent to the Gambryo engine or just work in progress by the developers. They definitely move slow motion at times running/mounting etc. I'm gonna wait a few months at least to see how things shape up and wait for the honeymoon period to finish. For now, I predict a big chunk of their user base going over to SWTOR and GW 2 just to try those out on initial release. They just have a short window to strengthen their retention and staying power before those 2 big games hit the market.
Its going to be a war for big piece of the ex WoW player base looking for something new.

Last edited:
If you aren't going to play it there is really no need to stay in the thread being a negative nancy about it.

The animations are hit and miss. I've seen some good ones, some okay ones, and some "meh" ones. They could be better, but the game is fun enough to overlook them. As for some of the skills using the same animations, that's bound to happen when you have 36 classes with a dozen+ skills per class.

From Beta 5 to Beta 6 I felt the animation less stiff. When I was plying Beta 5 I was like eeek they got to work on this. Felt smoother this time around. Cant wait for the next beta, going to try a Roguew class. I have traied on class on each beta so far.

If you aren't going to play it there is really no need to stay in the thread being a negative nancy about it.

I didn't realize it was 'lovers of Rift' only thread. I submitted my bugs and complaints through the game and hope everyone does the same. I want the game to improve before I spend $15 a month for it. Its either this or SWTOR for me and I want others aware of things that can be fixed. Hopefully they can do the same and put it their 2 cents for the devs.
This is the problem with mmo threads. People get so personal it becomes like defending their first born. Then after a few months it gets too late because people had tunnel vision and the game misses that first initial impression opportunity. The killer of MMOs.

The animations are hit and miss. I've seen some good ones, some okay ones, and some "meh" ones. They could be better, but the game is fun enough to overlook them. As for some of the skills using the same animations, that's bound to happen when you have 36 classes with a dozen+ skills per class.
I totally agree. I have enough fun with the game to overlook some animation flaws. Sure i would like to see them get better but it sure isn't a deal breaker for me at all.

For those concerned about the PVP changes on taking over quest hubs, they are reverting them in time for Open Beta as well as for launch going forward to how it was in Beta 5 (for PVP servers only).

LINKAGE: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?61579-Post-Beta-6-On-Rifts-Raids-PvP

Be aware their forums are borked right now due to an upgrade taking place ;), but you can still read the post by Scott Hartsman.

I totally agree. I have enough fun with the game to overlook some animation flaws. Sure i would like to see them get better but it sure isn't a deal breaker for me at all.

Yup, I don't really mind the animations. They look about the same as most MMORPG's to me at least. As far as the actual gameplay, Rift has not been disappointing me at all. They've been hinting at an oRVR-type zone (Port Scion City) ala DAOC, and the latest post I just linked to mentions they are still looking at fleshing Ancient Wardstones out for non-instanced PVP objectives in the normal PVE zones as well.

EDIT: Their forums are alive again!

Last edited:
Good news for the PvPers on PvP servers. So far Trion has done an excellent job of listening to feedback, changing the game based on feedback in a timely manner (only a few days for this one!), then communicating the changes to the community. Impressed so far. They put out patches quick!

Good news for the PvPers on PvP servers. So far Trion has done an excellent job of listening to feedback, changing the game based on feedback in a timely manner (only a few days for this one!), then communicating the changes to the community. Impressed so far. They put out patches quick!

Scott Hartsman did an interview tonight where he confirmed the Ancient Wardstone system is indeed going to be worked on heavily to become a great system, and that an oRVR-style zone (or zones) are on the table for post-launch at some point if player demand is there, and depending on how well the Ancient Wardstones work out.

You can find the link to the interview and discussion here (it was broadcast live, but recordings are available): http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?61695-Listening-to-Scott-Hartsman-Live/

I was very surprised at just how directly he answered the questions I asked through the chat during the interview that got forwarded. Another big thing is they're mentioning dual-targeting as a desired post-launch feature, plus other niceties. :)

Another big thing is they're mentioning dual-targeting as a desired post-launch feature, plus other niceties. :)

I had read quotes before saying that they were reluctant to put it in...I am so glad they are reconsidering. It was awesome in Vanguard and I don't know why every single MMO doesn't use it.

damm looks like i wont be able to get this game as i have to work down scotland for a month! dont think my laptop can play this game.

its a dual core T2300 with a X1600 ATI card. doable?

Back