RGB LED SSDs are Good for Gaming

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Do RGB LEDs on your SSD make gaming better? Apparently, the answer is yes, because Digitimes says that gamers are buying them by the boatload. More specifically, in what is supposedly a noticeable boost to LED manufacturers, their sources claim that "about 5% of gaming SSD modules are equipped with decorative RGB LED light bars featuring dynamic and smooth colorfulness." Team Group in particular says about 60% of their revenue comes from gaming models, and that they ship 15-20 million "gaming SSD modules" equipped with RGB LEDs every month. What qualifies as a "gaming ssd" in these statistics isn't clear, but I imagine it's a pretty broad category, as Digitimes calls the "creative professional" oriented Asus ProArt Studio PA32UCX a "gaming LCD monitor" in the same article.

T-Force posted a video of one of their RGB SSDs, and you probably shouldn't watch it here. Definitely don't unmute it.

Asustek Computer unveiled ProArt Studio PA32UCX, a 32-inch gaming LCD monitor backlit by over 10,000 mini LEDs, at CES 2019, with the backlighting unit (BLU) produced by Lextar Electronics. Epistar also began producing mini LEDs for gaming monitor backlighting at year-end 2018, while Unity Opto Technology and Harvatek are poised to start making mini LED BLUs in first-half 2019, the sources indicated. Mini LED backlighting for high-end LCD TVs is expected to be available in first-quarter 2019 and for smartphone panels, they are likely to emerge in second-half 2019, the sources noted.

That cannot be right. 60% of revenue...maybe they only sell 10 drives a month. I think there is not widespread adoption of LED-laden SSD's. None of my Samsungs are offered with it. I don't know Team Group's market segment, but I haven't encounteres their products much.

It's because gamers have a taste for color and art and what makes games attractive is the fantasy. Rgb gives your eyes a fantasy vacation from the normal everyday earthen tones of the daily grind.

I for one absolutely love RGB and I was going to buy a Team Group SSd rgb simply because it looks good. Just waiting on next sale price.

Yes I am being honest.

I just cant understand people that want to ban RGB as an option because its something they dont like. Newsflash!!! You can just turn it off.

tY5T7t8S

Attachments

• 20171028-133403.jpg
    20171028-133403.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
The thing that bugs me about RGB lighting is, it is added to hardware to make it look futuristic, copying what we see in various sci-fi movies. But all the glowing lights we see in those movies supposedly arise from some unexplained function, not for decoration. Real world use of RGB lighting is just mindless bling for the most part.

It's because gamers have a taste for color and art and what makes games attractive is the fantasy. Rgb gives your eyes a fantasy vacation from the normal everyday earthen tones of the daily grind.

I for one absolutely love RGB and Inwas going to buy a Team Group SSd rgb simply because it looks good.

Yes I am being honest.

Legit, non-critical question: as a representative of the target market - would you sacrifice performance for RGB in an SSD?

I'm planning to take the shells off the SSDs in my next SFF build so you can see the PCBs. I guess it's all just a matter of what sort of machine you want to build.

maybe walmart gaming? companies like digital storm are using samsung ssd and xidax uses intel.

Legit, non-critical question: as a representative of the target market - would you sacrifice performance for RGB in an SSD?

Where is the sacrifice?

Can you tell the difference between 150,000 and 147,500 iops?

My gigabyte Aorus x399 extreme is blinged out. Still runs a threadripper just fine.

My Asus Poseidon 1080ti with RGB still a 1080ti.

My evga 1070ti ftw2 has rgb still fast af.

My gskill ddr3 3200 mhz has rgb still top brand ram.

Not sure what's confusing?

I'm with tangoseal on this. I enjoy RGB, but not for the lightshow- I like ibeng able to light up my case, in the perfect color of green and Blue that kisses UV.
The old school Tracer DDR2 modules were pretty awesome, and I wish they'd bring those back, but with RGB so I can choose my color(s).
Would I sacrifice performance? Hmm, good question. Would I sacrifice 20MBps on a 9x0 Samsung NVMe to continue the dress up that I enjoy? Sure! Would I sacrifice 10%? Hell no.

20190105_163217.jpg
20190105_163226.jpg

Which company has the best RGB software? Gigabyte's RGB software is garbage for many different reasons. First, they updated their RGB Fusion that took away the option to change the LED color to match the CPU temps. Second, can't sync lights with my Gigabyte RTX 2060 and X470 mobo.

Where is the sacrifice?

Can you tell the difference between 150,000 and 147,500 iops?

My gigabyte Aorus x399 extreme is blinged out. Still runs a threadripper just fine.

My Asus Poseidon 1080ti with RGB still a 1080ti.

My evga 1070ti ftw2 has rgb still fast af.

My gskill ddr3 3200 mhz has rgb still top brand ram.

Not sure what's confusing?

I'm with tangoseal on this. I enjoy RGB, but not for the lightshow- I like ibeng able to light up my case, in the perfect color of green and Blue that kisses UV.
The old school Tracer DDR2 modules were pretty awesome, and I wish they'd bring those back, but with RGB so I can choose my color(s).
Would I sacrifice performance? Hmm, good question. Would I sacrifice 20MBps on a 9x0 Samsung NVMe to continue the dress up that I enjoy? Sure! Would I sacrifice 10%? Hell no.

View attachment 136675 View attachment 136676

Look, I have RGB Corsair fans on my front radiator. They are basically the only light I have in an otherwise blacked out case behind glass (570X). However, they move air very well and I don't think I'm losing anything.

What I'm talking about here is using a value-brand SSD that - at least for my part - I am not familiar with.

RGB isn't really for me, but that doesn't matter. Your rig is your rig. However, I'd think long and hard going with some silicon power SSD instead of a 970 Evo or Pro.

Dude, most mid-high end RGB boards have LED around PCIe slots, just look at Gigabyte Aorus boards for example.

As for RGB SSD, why the heck not! Wasn't that like the last remaining part that wasn't backlit? There are even RGB power supplies and cables ;).

Nah. Gotta be the actual port it's self. Anything else is too blah.

I just cant understand people that want to ban RGB as an option because its something they dont like. Newsflash!!! You can just turn it off.
tY5T7t8S

This, so long as I am not paying a huge premium for RGB over performance. I do enjoy playing with RGB before usually turning most or all off.

I would absolutely not choose RGB over any performance but I (like some others) like a well lit themed case. I have no issue with RGB or LED lights in cases.

I for one absolutely love RGB and I was going to buy a Team Group SSd rgb simply because it looks good. Just waiting on next sale price.

Yes I am being honest.

tY5T7t8S

Who the hell is calling for a ban on RGB lighting? What I've seen people repeatedly ask for are products without it because they have zero interest in it and the component cost.

Nah. Gotta be the actual port it's self. Anything else is too blah.

I'm sure they could but they would have to manufacture the connector out of some kind of transparent plastic or resin. Since most high end boards also have metal shields around PCIe slots, it likely isn't relevant to glow the port itself. I'm sure otherwise someone would have done that already. Maybe they are saving it for later products like Apple does ;)

My space heater has RGB lights.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    461.9 KB · Views: 0
The RGB sizzle adds to speed. The emitted photons give the electrons a push. That extra momentum transfer makes 'em faster.

Who the hell is calling for a ban on RGB lighting? What I've seen people repeatedly ask for are products without it because they have zero interest in it and the component cost.

My comment is not limited to people in this thread and I am not claiming or saying anyone here is. Hiwever, I have seen umpteen times people saying we should ban it. I hate it so remove it. Screw rgb they should ban it etc.... time and time again.

Yes there are members on every forum like this. It's like people who want to ban free speech because something someone might say offends them. Well there are those same kind of people that want to ban a whole product segment because they dont like the way it looks.

Yes I am being honest.

tY5T7t8S
The fact is that we paying for RGB if we want it or not. The $10 it adds to a item is not worth it to me and most people.

Frag harder with Photon Powah!
No, my case doesn't have a glass side.

I'm absolutely baffled by this, but I believe it. I built a PC for a friend's son recently and he was all about the LED lights. The more the better.
I don't want a bunch of cheap-looking lights blinking off and on out of the corner of my eye. One of the first things I do is to turn all that stuff off. Hell, I wish my case didn't have a window. I've been tempted to try and make one.

RGB absolutely improves the gaming experience, so much so that I'm now partially removing the green marker rings on my old CDs and adding in blue and red. The audio quality improvement is astounding.

Maybe Hookers in Holland could take RGB motherboards one step further, hanging them outside their front doors and turning them on when they're open for business?

My comment is not limited to people in this thread and I am not claiming or saying anyone here is. Hiwever, I have seen umpteen times people saying we should ban it. I hate it so remove it. Screw rgb they should ban it etc.... time and time again.

Yes there are members on every forum like this. It's like people who want to ban free speech because something someone might say offends them. Well there are those same kind of people that want to ban a whole product segment because they dont like the way it looks.
Hyperbole much?

And just as you like RGB LED covered products, there are others who do not want it and do not want to pay for it.

Seriously, claiming people want it banned? wtf...

The worst part of all this will likely require another rgb program to install.

Yup. You can't even turn most of them off via the BIOS anymore. You have to use (yet another) program to do it. I "only" have two of them, but depending on your hardware you could have 5 or more programs simply for LEDs.

Look, I have RGB Corsair fans on my front radiator. They are basically the only light I have in an otherwise blacked out case behind glass (570X). However, they move air very well and I don't think I'm losing anything.

What I'm talking about here is using a value-brand SSD that - at least for my part - I am not familiar with.

RGB isn't really for me, but that doesn't matter. Your rig is your rig. However, I'd think long and hard going with some silicon power SSD instead of a 970 Evo or Pro.

That would not happen. I don't buy junk.

Back