RGB LED SSDs are Good for Gaming

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

Sheesh talk about bloatware. I would never.

2. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

I like RGB, it's cool and colorful. Better than boring plain metal.

Not sure I understand the title of this article. I guess it's sarcasm.

Case makers will have to design their cases away from hiding SSD's in the rear of the case now so customers can display their new RGB SSD's.

3. elavanis

elavanis n00b

We can at least agree on the same weather station. :) (I got the same one on my desk.)

I personally don't care much one way or the other. All my stuff is in a windowless case and the case is in the computer compartment with the door closed.

4. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

I like RBG. I don't rainbow anything, but i do like getting \ nice colour going in my case.
    So if people want everything RGB. no issues with that.
    I only have an RGB strip in the chassis, and the GPU has some RGB on it. Thats about it

Rahh and alxlwson like this.
  5. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

Those people should know, there is a way to turn off RGB LEDs. They're optional.

6. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

my only "drive" is a smasung NVMe 1TB drive. I dont think you can even add RGB to it.. especially since its under a heat sink.

all other storage is on my NAS

oh.. RGB NAS devices.. there you go!!

Shadowed and Armenius like this.
  7. modi123

modi123 [H]ardness Supreme

I told everyone this sort of loosy-goosey LED nonsense was going to happen if we trod away from the perfectly fine beige beauties. Slippery slope from sinfully black cases, exposed up skirt internals with side panels, case fans with LEDs, to ram, to now hard drives. That's right folks we got trouble, oh we got trouble! Right here in CPU City! With a capital "T" that rhymes with "L-E-D".

upload_2019-1-22_11-0-28.png

c3k, elavanis and Shotglass01 like this.
  8. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe RGB hate is more marketing fail then a trend that some people just don't like. I've got plenty of RGB that I like, but that video right there it cringey.

9. ST185RC

ST185RC n00b

Next up steam machines and strobe lights?

10. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

My whole thing is this: I think beauty lies in form arising solely from function. I like sussing out the purpose of a thing by its form. RGB lighting is the equivalent of fake air intakes on cars . . . or breast implants.

11. El Derpo

El Derpo Limp Gawd

I have that same case. Easily my favorite case I’ve ever used.

12. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I had the Air 540 first, then upgraded to the 740 and put my Xeon into the 540,

hal-machines-rgb.jpg

DrezKill, Rahh, primetime and 2 others like this.
  13. [21CW]killerofall

[21CW]killerofall Aliens...

I don't care for case lighting at all but as long as the hardware vendors provide parts that don't have RGB, I have no problems. I don't want to pay for a feature that I will never use. My computer case is a Fractal Define R5 (no window) Blackout.

14. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Doom 3, the fans and LEDs breath and/or respond to sounds. Its a work in progress.
    Its not a bright as it appears in the gif. It adds a lot to the ambiance.

ShadowyCreativeButterfly-size_restricted.gif

RGB doesn't always have to be a ravie distraction. Now that we have addressable RGB on z3xx and 450s theres a lot of cool atmospheric stuff you can do. unfortunately my boards a z270 so no addressable headers for me I have to use a usb controller.

I don't know if I'll ever go to stuff like RGB memory or SSD. Its too expensive and kinda locks you into buying gear you may not like. Id rather they just do drive/ram covers more.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  15. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

Tell me more!

Armenius likes this.
  16. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

I’m have 2 white leds in my case, on the reservoir so I can see the water when it’s on. That’s two more than I’d like.

I swear to god my next case is going to be a plain beige tower. I’m gonna do my man cave like some kind of Stranger Things 80s homage.

I’ll still put a $6k PC in it ofc and it definitely has to have a Turbo button (that does nothing)

Joust likes this.
  17. alxlwson

Asus has you covered with turbo buttons that actually work!

18. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

It's still a thing. My PG27UQ does this with Aura Sync. I honestly think it doesn't add much to the experience, so I don't use it. It may be because my walls are not painted white.

19. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK [H]ard|Gawd

I would rank breast implants a lot higher on the pleasure scale than RGB...YMMV.

Armenius and alxlwson like this.
  20. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Even dumber than most other parts with lights. A lot of cases these days mount SATA form factor SSDs behind the motherboard tray to make the case clean and have good air flow. So unless you have glass on both sides you won't even see it.

DrezKill and Armenius like this.
  21. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

20190119_163616-01.jpeg 20181227_165241.jpg 20181208_144357.jpg

Love me some RGB.

22. Incontentia Buttocks

Incontentia Buttocks [H]Lite

Dude! You had me at mindless!

23. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

Just take down your christmas lights and shove them all in your pc case.

No need to buy special rgb shit

The Mad Atheist, DrezKill and Mega6 like this.
  24. alxlwson

Not bright enough!

25. DrezKill

DrezKill Limp Gawd

I'm a UV guy. I miss motherboards that had UV-reactive PCI/PCIe slots and various other brackets and whatnot. I never had any UV-reactive fans but I wanted some in my college days. I used to use UV-reactive IDE and SATA cables. Thought about painting some components/areas of my cases with UV-reactive paint, but never did. I like UV-reactive dye in the water for watercooled systems. I still use cold cathode blacklights in my PC today. Aside from some single-color LED fans, I don't have much going on with lighting or color. My case's side-window has a dark tint on it, which is enough to give me a nice low glow from the blacklights and LED fans without being overpowering. It's still pretty dang dark in the case, despite 4 blacklights and 4 LED fans. Oh and the H100i's pump/waterblock unit has a Corsair logo with RGB lighting, which I usually keep on a single color. My K70 keyboard has RGB backlighting which I use to set specific keys a certain color. I was fine with single-color keyboard backlighting, but I got this keyboard for Xmas one year, and being able to set colors on a per-key basis has been pretty nifty (my brother was the opposite, he had a DAS Keyboard that was all-black with no markings anywhere on the keyboard or on the keycaps, but he spilled something on it and destroyed it, and now he has a K70 with red backlighting, which he turns off if he feels like having an all-black keyboard again). I was also a big fan of windows on HDDs but I never owned any such drives myself. Oh, the X-Fi has a white-lit "X-Fi" logo, I barely even notice that. Completely forgot about it. Don't mind any function-serving lights that appear on motherboards. I like those.

I do think the whole RGB craze has gone a bit overboard though, and there are just some components (like SSDs) that I feel have absolutely no need for RGB lighting. Surprised to see RGB-lit SSDs selling a decent amount. I had a Logitech G500s mouse die on me, and it was replaced under warranty by a G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB mouse. Really don't think a mouse needs RGB lighting, but can't say it really bothers me either. Plus yeah, if you don't like the lighting on something, you can just turn it off. DIMMs can look cool when done well, more towards the subtle direction (some of today's DIMMs have too-massive lightbars on them). Lighting can look good on a motherboard IF manufacturers reign it in a bit, and do something more tasteful and subtle. Definitely don't need displays with RGB lighting on them or anything like that. I guess I just feel that lighting shouldn't be the main attraction/focus of a PC or any individual component. Some PCs look like they were specifically built to be light shows, and that ain't right to me. Personally I wouldn't pay more or sacrifice performance for the sake of lighting. Seems backwards. Performance and build quality first. My SSDs are basically hidden inside my case, if they had lighting, that would just go to waste. Lighting on storage devices just seems excessive.

Unrelated, I really enjoy the HDD activity light and WiFi light on the fat PS3 (don't know if any of the later smaller models have them).

26. 4saken

4saken [H]ardForum Junkie

I used to hate the whole RGB scene, but last system I built I went for it. Now pmuch every accessory I own has RGB going for it. I'll pay the few extra bucks to have a setup I like to look at and mess around with. If it isnt for you, no skin off my back.

alxlwson likes this.
  27. Arcygenical

Arcygenical Will Watercool for Crack

I love my rgb ram. Wont ever use fans or board leds, though.

28. Merc1138

Merc1138 2[H]4U

The problem is people don't want to pay for it, nor do they want to install an app in some instances just to turn it off.

29. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

It would look cool in an open case, but most SSD PCB inside the case are unsightly at best. You also have to take care of proper heatsinking as SSD case is used as a heatsink and in many cases is required. Nermind voiding the warranty. I personally don't sink that reducing heatsinkage in an SFF build is a good idea as cooling is already pretty lackluster. I do love seeing inside the components and have a collection of old hard drives from the 80's and 90's that have beautiful PCB's. :)

30. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

I will take a pic of my REAL RGB madness downstairs on the threadripper 2950x later this evening.

For now I just built this 2600x about a month ago. I haven't worked on it anymore but there is so much more RGB goodness I am going to toss in this thing once I get around to it.

I also have my Caselabs Th10 magnum which is just gathering dust. It was a real cool LED case back in the day. However, the plastic window is just too small and scratched. Maybe one of these days I will hire someone to laser cut a much larger window and get some darkened tempered glass to put on it.

20190122-191903.jpg

31. Bobert

Bobert Limp Gawd

32. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

*me when my PC-011 Dynamic shows up*

2rsut7.jpg

33. profiled

profiled Limp Gawd

RGB is biggest advancements in pc gaming in last century

34. THRESHIN

THRESHIN 2[H]4U

With the way technology is going, so it'll be 80% of the physical space is taken up with flashy LED's, 10% cooling, and 10% actual hardware.

35. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

ASUS probably has the most mature RGB platform though Aura Sync still has its issues. If you want something a bit more vendor agnostic NZXT's Hue is probably next on the list. I like EVGA's LED Sync control panel, but LED Sync only works with EVGA products and it can be finicky at times. I've had it desync the LEDs in my card and AIO a few times, requiring a restart of either LED Sync or Precision X.

36. BB Gun

BB Gun [H]ard|Gawd

primetime and KazeoHin like this.
  37. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

The only issue I have with the 101 is the damned pull-tabs for the tooless TG door. They break REALLY easily. I've seen two cases with broken tabs. The later cases use a push-button system (like the 301) and if In Win made a 101 with that system it would be a huge bonus for me!

Ps AWESOME BUILD dude!

38. Dodge245

Dodge245 Limp Gawd

You can use iCue software to change the colour based on CPU or GPU Temps if that makes you feel better about them not being functional... One side of the top bar of my K95 is CPU temperature and the other GPU goes orange to red along the top when playing a game (50c CPU, 71c GPU)

39. Tiburon1186

Tiburon1186 Gawd

Dude, I had the sound sensitive cold cathodes. That color was always such a nice blue! What ever happened to those?

DrezKill and The Mad Atheist like this.
  40. Tiburon1186

Tiburon1186 Gawd

It's like badging your car for extra HP. lol

Tags: