Rewiring a ddc pump advice

gwertheim

Weaksauce
Hello all,

Just got a Laing ddc-pump 12v ddc-1t plus pwm

It comes with a two pin molex and a two pin fan header for pwm functions.

Is there a chance I can combine them and have the pump run on a 4 pin fan header without breaking anything?

You can do this - I have done it. There's a +12v lead, a ground lead, a PWM lead, and a tach lead, just like on a PWM fan. The ends, pins and crimpers are readily available on Amazon and are a good thing to have for other custom cabling projects.

There's a catch though - once you do this, you have to be careful what you plug your pump into. The pump pulls about 0.7a, which is -way- more than most fans and may be too much for the headers on some cheaper motherboards. Make sure you've got 1A headers available to you before making this mod.

You can do this - I have done it. There's a +12v lead, a ground lead, a PWM lead, and a tach lead, just like on a PWM fan. The ends, pins and crimpers are readily available on Amazon and are a good thing to have for other custom cabling projects.

There's a catch though - once you do this, you have to be careful what you plug your pump into. The pump pulls about 0.7a, which is -way- more than most fans and may be too much for the headers on some cheaper motherboards. Make sure you've got 1A headers available to you before making this mod.

Thx for the advice

What VanGoghComplex said. It's possible but you run the risk of overloading the motherboard, which is why the DDC is generally wired the way it is.

Back