Revolution renamed!! ...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistola

[H]ard|Gawd
The Revolution has been offically named "Wii"
Source

Honestly I like revolution better, what the hell?? Wii??? come one. And its pronouced "We" is that french or something?? I personally don't like it...

I'm going to by a Nintendo Wii and bring it to a hardware store to see if they can ERASE the "Wii" and paint the word Revolution in it's place. Then i'll have myself a Nintendo Revolution. :D

If they can't do that. Then some electric tape over the "Wii" and just leave the Nintendo visible. :D

Steve your thoughts on Nintendos Move?
Not some link about MS dont derail this thread. This is about a bad name. Xbox 360 is a pretty good name IMO.

{NG}Fidel said:
Steve your thoughts on Nintendos Move?
Not some link about MS dont derail this thread. This is about a bad name. Xbox 360 is a pretty good name IMO.
Stevie's a little grumpy at having to tirelessly defend something called the "Wii" now. He's gotta do all he can to deflect attention away from it.

steve, there's a large difference between and "bad" name and a "stupid" name

Perhaps even the Second War (i.e., console wars).
Or the -W (W*i^2 = -W because i^2 = -1).

Or maybe it stands for "Nintendo: We Is Ignorant"

For now:

W-2

I'm still getting one though. :D

If the games are good, I would get one if it was called the "Nintendo fuck your momabob". But then, that's mii. I can see past shallow things :p Doesn't mean I like it, but it doesn't mean I write it off either, as many obviously have.

Another forum poster:
As they say in the entertainment and press industry: any press, good or bad, is good. the buzz this name has created is phenomenal. It has nothing to do with liking the name or not, its all about implanting the brand. Nintendo has gone the way of “architect of subliminal persuasion.” Like it or not, this is a brilliant move.

And to the wii wii jokes:
You will almost NEVER have to actually speak the title of the system. When you go to a game store, have you really EVER had to ASK somebody where games for a particular console are kept? If you are so afraid that saying the word “Wii” to stranger is going to make them think less of you, I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is you can just ask them where the new “Nintendo” games are kept. The bad news is you have severe confidence issues, emotional problems, a lack of maturity, and you may also suffer from xenophobia (or homophobia). Either see a therapist, or grow up.

I think this is Engrish at its best. I bet the people at Nintendo's head marketing had no clue about the "other" meanings of words pronounced as we. I wonder how long it took after the anouncement that someone from NoA called the main headquarters and tell them all the meanings of the word wee and wee-wee have in the US.

Personally I always called it "The Rev" and probably still will for a long time to come.

Or this could be companies trying to top each others with bad names. iPod = bad -> Vista = worse -> Wii = terrible.

Wii are the borg... your gameological and urological distinctiveness will be added to our own... resistance is futile. More entertainment for the kids still lurking in this thread:
lolwiipuns4bk.png

In reality, how often do WE say the word WE every single day without giggling like a little child and saying "haha... look at my WE WE!"? Some food for thought. I still think it's bad, but I think we'll quickly get used to it. Consider this... non-gamers (Nintendo's target) are absolutely turned off by gaming devices. "X Box" and "Playstation 2" and "Gamecube" may as well be named "stay away". They are clearly differentiating here, and going for Intel and Apple's recent marketing strategies, and the amount of press will get people curious about it. Viral marketing campaign at its best.

I laughed at PSPee a couple of times, i have already stopped laughing and moaning about Wii, bring it on, i just wanna buy the damthing already

steviep said:
Wii are the borg... your gameological and urological distinctiveness will be added to our own... resistance is futile. More entertainment for the kids still lurking in this thread:
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/5792/lolwiipuns4bk.png

In reality, how often do WE say the word WE every single day without giggling like a little child and saying "haha... look at my WE WE!"? Some food for thought. I still think it's bad, but I think we'll quickly get used to it. Consider this... non-gamers (Nintendo's target) are absolutely turned off by gaming devices. "X Box" and "Playstation 2" and "Gamecube" may as well be named "stay away". They are clearly differentiating here, and going for Intel and Apple's recent marketing strategies, and the amount of press will get people curious about it. Viral marketing campaign at its best.[/QUOTE]

/clap

after seeing the little flash movie a few times is starting to grow on me allready.

I dont see why every one is groning on and on about it.. Its just a name, get over it.

W. T. F.

I hope this is a sick joke by a bitter employee. "Revolution" is a cool name, despite the irony. "Wii" is just... well I'm probably not allowed to say it.

And I thought no one could possibly come up with a dumber name than "Xbox".

ahaha.. that second pic is over the top!

GI: So it wasn’t Yamauchi coming in with his iron fist and saying, “We’re calling it Wii!”

Atwood: (laughs) No. No, it wasn’t. For a long time there we’ve been discussing the name and there was a lot of talk, and this is what the committee came up with. It was a large group of people that came up with the name.

never underestimate the power of stupid ppl in groups!! :rolleyes:

Yeah isnt Revolution the name of the CPU in it or something like that? Or is that Broadwater im thinking of? I liked the name Revolution, but this is catchy to a point.

brom42 said:
I think this is Engrish at its best. I bet the people at Nintendo's head marketing had no clue about the "other" meanings of words pronounced as we. I wonder how long it took after the anouncement that someone from NoA called the main headquarters and tell them all the meanings of the word wee and wee-wee have in the US.

Please, it's extremely unlikely that the pun wasn't intentional. Just saying the word "Wee" brings all sorts of positive/joyful connotations, and it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo wanted to be associated with that. It's better than the unremarkable, boring names like "Xbox" or "Playstation".

In other news, Famitsu polled a bunch of gamers and developers, and the most E3 interest comes from Wii, including the most secret game announcments. EA has exclusive versions of their big games coming out, and to be honest... they could've called this thing Nintendo SuckMyCockAThon and I would still love to play good games on it. This has more people talking than any of the other systems have recently, that's for sure. I'd call that a success.

Lazy_Moron said:
Yeah isnt Revolution the name of the CPU in it or something like that? Or is that Broadwater im thinking of? I liked the name Revolution, but this is catchy to a point.
lol, the CPU codename was "Broadway".

Do they know that WWII is also written as WII?

In japanese, if I remember correctly, you would pronounce wii as "we" anyways. And in WII there were more than one country on each side fighting on any given side. The alliance is a group of countries "we" and the axis of power is another group of countries (we). So it looks like nintendo is trying to reinvigorate wii

TheCommander said:
What a stupid name. I'm sure there will be people not buying it because of the name.

And those would be sad, immature individuals. That would be like me not upgrading to Intel's amazing "Conroe" chip because I don't like their name "Core". Or I'd stop visiting Google to search the web because it sounds like a kiddy word. As Nintendo said, wait till E3. Nintendo PR said "you will definately get it then..." and also mentioned more secrets. Didn't Iwata say last year "when you see the revolution, you will say wii!"... err, I mean wow. Perhaps I still will.

Well what I like about the name

Pros:
-Its short
-Its simple and easy to remember
-Kinda stylish
-No abreviation

Cons
-Sounds a bit off for a game console. You got Microsoft Xbox, Sony Playstation and then Nintendo Wii.
-I would never in my life associate Wii with a game console.
-The average buyer is going to have difficulty understanding what Wii really means, Xbox 360 is much easier to understand from the consumer perspective. (But even then kinda off)

Now in my opinion this sounds a bit like the EA advertising campaign "Its different down here". I had to dig through my old magazines but I found one example. Not the best, maybe I will get some more latter.

Anyways who was reminded of monty python when they heard the name. "we are the nights who say Kni."

steviep said:
And those would be sad, immature individuals. That would be like me not upgrading to Intel's amazing "Conroe" chip because I don't like their name "Core". Or I'd stop visiting Google to search the web because it sounds like a kiddy word. As Nintendo said, wait till E3. Nintendo PR said "you will definately get it then..." and also mentioned more secrets. Didn't Iwata say last year "when you see the revolution, you will say wii!"... err, I mean wow. Perhaps I still will.

As sad and immature as they are, they would've been potential buyers. Most of all capitalist corporations care more about making money than anything else, so I'm a bit perplexed to see Nintendo make such an "unusual" move.

Remember, people aren't bashing on the name just because they don't like it, its because of the name's allusion to an old kiddie word that we used to all poke fun at. The negative connotation from that word was built into our heads since kindergaten (in the US, at least). I'm sure other countries aren't laughing as hard as us, but this will definitely hurt sales in the US. I'm gonna get a Wii anyway: it'll just be a potentially great console with a bad name is all.

All of the "wee-wee" references are asinine IMHO. I don't understand why everyone turns wii into "wii wii" followed by the references to urine or genitalia. Besides if you and your friend each bought a wii you'd have wiis. (Notice the "s" indicating plural instead of doubling the word.)

People who choose not to buy a piece of technology because of the name have little maturity let alone the fact that the actual name is not dirty in any way at least in the U.S. If wii is slang in the U.K. for urine, then that is poor research on Nintendo's marketing department. People use the word "we" all the time and never snicker at it. I don't understand why now is so different.

P.S. I too loved the name Revolution, but I will get used to Wii. I hated Xbox 360 too because Xenon was 25x cooler.

Are people still laughing at "Micro soft"? Nah, I got over making penis references at that when I was 10. Give the kids a week or two, the jokes will die down and people will get used to it. Then, they can focus on the cool things Nintendo has promised to reveal at E3, instead of the name. In fact, that's exactly why Nintendo revealed the name today instead of at the show.

shigeru4sr.gif

Apparently, Miyamoto likes it!!!

Weee weeee weeee

In all seriousness, that has got to be the worst name for a console yet. "Xbox" has finally been removed from the top of the list.

steviep said:
Are people still laughing at "Micro soft"? Nah, I got over making penis references at that when I was 10. Give the kids a week or two, the jokes will die down and people will get used to it. Then, they can focus on the cool things Nintendo has promised to reveal at E3, instead of the name. In fact, that's exactly why Nintendo revealed the name today instead of at the show.

Yeah, but MS required a little more thinking to realize the humor though :p. But talking about your "Wii" from as early as 2 years old is something that can't be easily overlooked/misinterpreted. If you look at the actual letters "W-i-i," yeah you can interpret it differently, but there's little alternative to the way it sounds.

I agree with ya tho. It'll settle down with time, but the newbie who'll happen to get a hold of its name will inevitable let out a few snickers before accepting it.

The world doesn't revolve around the US :p
But anyway, here's another forum poster:
Like most people here, I don't really care what it's called. But, after my initial negative reaction, I can see where Nintendo's coming from marketing-wise.

1) It is the sound you make when you're having fun. Emphasizes relaxation and fun aspect of the console as opposed the "look how cool I am letters and numbers" names associated with sportscars and the other consoles.

2) It is a synonym for small. Which sounds bad at first, but it fits the Wii pretty well.

3) It is the beginning part of wifi which emphasizes the wireless functions.

4) For European markets, it of course means yes in French, which is always nice to hear... from a French girl ... who is thinking about buying a Wii.

4) And the two obvious ones, it resembles two people which reminds gamers that this is a party system and a system to share with the whole family. (I wonder if the W stands for anything?)

5) And of course, as they say on the site, it is pronounced "we" which is inclusive and welcoming rather than an old school boys only club for the gaming elite.

So, I like the name now that I've thought about it. It makes me think, small, affordable, fun for the whole family, not intimidating. I think it falls in line exactly with what Nintendo is trying to do which is not scare away non gamers and let them try the Wii out and have fun.

Of course, the penis comparisons are obvious, but at least I don't have to hear "Gaycube" over and over and over anymore. I can't wait till a !!!!!! says "Wii is gay." I'll say, "You are? It's nothing to be ashamed of." :p

steviep said:
lolwiipuns4bk.png

In reality, how often do WE say the word WE every single day without giggling like a little child and saying "haha... look at my WE WE!"? Some food for thought. I still think it's bad, but I think we'll quickly get used to it. Consider this... non-gamers (Nintendo's target) are absolutely turned off by gaming devices. "X Box" and "Playstation 2" and "Gamecube" may as well be named "stay away". They are clearly differentiating here, and going for Intel and Apple's recent marketing strategies, and the amount of press will get people curious about it. Viral marketing campaign at its best.

You sir are the Hardness Supreme...LOL!!!! Very funny!

I wonder if I play with my Wii too much I will go blind.

Then again, I much rather play with my Wii than play video games. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back